Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now I understand why the hospital was so keen for me to be in yesterday having my errant finger nail(s) removed.

.....and a Certain Bear was otherwise engaged in a Warehouse.

What a dastardly trick.....next time I think @Dave Hunt should submit a Birthday Form for Big H's and Bear's approval so we can make sure we're not otherwise engaged.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, polybear said:

.....and a Certain Bear was otherwise engaged in a Warehouse.

What a dastardly trick.....next time I think @Dave Hunt should submit a Birthday Form for Big H's and Bear's approval so we can make sure we're not otherwise engaged.

Or just put 25 April into the PB version of the Causing Chaos and Misery diary.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I normally drink Prosecco rather than Champagne but if someone presents me with a bottle of the latter it seems churlish not to get stuck in.

Sound thinking. Prosecco tends to be a bit less alcoholic than champoo, typically 10.5% rather than 12.5%, and is certainly more affordable. I buy sparkling Saumur, costing about £3.60 in my local Lidl, which is made by the same methode traditionelle as champoo, and has the same % alcohol. I think it has more depth to the taste than Prosecco. I have never seen sparkling Saumur on sale in UK supermarkets. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Or just put 25 April into the PB version of the Causing Chaos and Misery diary.

That day is so marked in both the schools I attended and in the RAF. Funny that…..

Dave 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Shouldn’t that be zwei und zweizig?

In English, doesn't rhyme. 'Two little ducks', to which the congregation responds 'quack, quack".

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I drink Brains.

My grandfather used to eat brains on toast for his tea on Mondays. I am sure drinking Brains is safer…

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was always under the impression that in RAF terminology, Bingo was the point at which you needed head for home before you ran out of go-go juice.

Bingo means you have reached a fuel state where you can just complete the sortie as planned but have none to spare. Joker means you have just got enough fuel to get home with none to spare.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In English, doesn't rhyme. 'Two little ducks', to which the congregation responds 'quack, quack".

In German, “Zwei kleine Ente,” to which the reply is, “Flak, flak.”

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Apologies Bill. It will come as no great surprise that it took me three goes to pass O level German.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Bingo means you have reached a fuel state where you can just complete the sortie as planned but have none to spare. Joker means you have just got enough fuel to get home with none to spare.

Dave

And "Oh sh1t" means you haven't got enough.....

• Agree 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

And "Oh sh1t" means you haven't got enough.....

Sometimes disguised by “Errr, any gravyboats (tankers) on towline (standard refuelling area) X with a few tons giveaway?” or, “Errr, Firebird 3 is just nipping into Keflavik for a spot of fuel. See you later.”

Don’t bother asking how I know about such things.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sometimes disguised by “Errr, any gravyboats (tankers) on towline (standard refuelling area) X with a few tons giveaway?” or, “Errr, Firebird 3 is just nipping into Keflavik for a spot of fuel. See you later.”

Don’t bother asking how I know about such things.

Dave

Bear was once in an RN Lynx 8 that came over the fence at Boscombe Down with the Low Fuel Warning Lamp illuminated on the Central Warning Panel......

Of course we had much better options available than those flying a Tornado.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I won’t go into detail is but the closest I ever came was landing a Phantom one night in Germany with the low level fuel light having been on for quite a while and about 250 lb showing on the gauge. There was a warning below the gauge that indications below 600 lb were unreliable. The next day the senior engineering officer told me that the amount of fuel they had put into the aircraft was the same as the book said it would hold. He reckoned that I must have had less than a minute of useable fuel left. I didn’t actually have brown strides but it was close.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I'm about to take on some Guinness. (Brains was not available)

As you will appreciate, this refuelling  is purely for medicinal purposes.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

So how many tonnes will Sir require and are you paying by card or cash.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

The new tracks,to connect  to,connect to storage tracks on my garage layout have to cross non scenic parts of the layout. This was the first thing anyone one notice looking at the layout. So,I thought I would disguise it and also experiment with a few scenic techniques. The scenery has various removable panels so I can retrieve derailments from the main lines. The removable bits are very thin plywood covered in scenic grass mat. I think,it might be a Games Workshop product that has been rolled up,in the garage for about 10 years. 
I had a play with different ballasting techniques.  I have decided two things. I don’t like the Copydex ballasting technique. PVA glue would seem to need  a best before date. Mine was a bit gloopy. I will buy some more before any proper ballasting gets done. 
image.jpeg.bf589d4fab55b7a99ce579ea6e46798a.jpeg

The bendy mdf behind the glue gun is the rear of the layout backscene.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We only have Guinness Zero left now. The last of the full fat  Guinness went into the casserole we will be eating tonight. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

In German, “Zwei kleine Ente,” to which the reply is, “Flak, flak.”

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

almost ... zwei kleine Enten.

Sorry, but I prefer Eine Klien Nachtmusik.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I won’t go into detail is but the closest I ever came was landing a Phantom one night in Germany with the low level fuel light having been on for quite a while and about 250 lb showing on the gauge. There was a warning below the gauge that indications below 600 lb were unreliable. The next day the senior engineering officer told me that the amount of fuel they had put into the aircraft was the same as the book said it would hold. He reckoned that I must have had less than a minute of useable fuel left. I didn’t actually have brown strides but it was close.

Dave

And with the glide slope of the F4 .......................................................................................

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The new tracks,to connect  to,connect to storage tracks on my garage layout have to cross non scenic parts of the layout. This was the first thing anyone one notice looking at the layout. So,I thought I would disguise it and also experiment with a few scenic techniques. The scenery has various removable panels so I can retrieve derailments from the main lines. The removable bits are very thin plywood covered in scenic grass mat. I think,it might be a Games Workshop product that has been rolled up,in the garage for about 10 years. 
I had a play with different ballasting techniques.  I have decided two things. I don’t like the Copydex ballasting technique. PVA glue would seem to need  a best before date. Mine was a bit gloopy. I will buy some more before any proper ballasting gets done. 
image.jpeg.bf589d4fab55b7a99ce579ea6e46798a.jpeg

The bendy mdf behind the glue gun is the rear of the layout backscene.

Glue gun or alien invasion space ship?

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Glue gun or alien invasion space ship?

Whatever it is, it is my new favourite toy. No more being held back  by a trailing cable…

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1