Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I don't read the new product release threads, they just seem to be full of people willy-waving over how many errors they can find (most of whom are probably just claiming others' observations as their own).

Personally I've just stopped following a couple of threads I've posted in before, including eBay Madness.  That seems to be the home for one or two individuals who apparently spend most of their day (every day) trawling eBay, pointing and laughing at overpriced/junk/hopelessly described/badly-repainted items, none of which they have the slightest intention of bidding on, but copying the links to the thread.  Wow, life must be dull where they live. 

On at least one occasion they actually mocked an item made by an RMWebber and described on their own thread elsewhere.   There was some serious back-pedalling that day.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There was an Alan Gibson kit gor a 4F in 7mm.  The less said about it the better. I've had to buy a tender kit from Ragstone to make it anything like and am attempting to fit working inside valve gear,  it has gone back on tbe shelf of shame for the time being. It will carry my old police collar number.

Jamie

At some point in the next 4 years or before Gibson shuts down I intend to buy a 4mm GWR 1076 Buffalo kit from him to run on my still fantasy Edwardian south wales GWR branch layout to be made after college. Are the 4mm kits somewhat better than the 7mm? 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My RAF number ended with 005. I should have been 007 but the two guys in front of me were called out of the line for some reason.

Dave 

Probably got jobs as bar stewards instead.

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

At some point in the next 4 years or before Gibson shuts down I intend to buy a 4mm GWR 1076 Buffalo kit from him to run on my still fantasy Edwardian south wales GWR branch layout to be made after college. Are the 4mm kits somewhat better than the 7mm? 

For a similar outlay you could invest in a some decent CAD software (IMHO the free stuff is crepe), design your own 3-D model and have it printed or even print it yourself on an inexpensive resin printer. Once you've mastered CAD there is no limit to the stuff you can produce in any medium.

(I avoided CAD for years but I was forced to learn it when the US Patent Office rejected my lousy drawings :D)

• Informative/Useful 7

It's official. We are now underground!

The extremely spendy people who are having a "guest cottage" built just behind us shelled out mucho clams to have the electric utility company bury the overhead power lines that run along our property line. The HT power lines and the phone/cable lines are a real eyesore and they were blocking their view of the lake.

The gent very much likes boats. Maybe he's interested in railways too :) ?

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

For a similar outlay you could invest in a some decent CAD software (IMHO the free stuff is crepe), design your own 3-D model and have it printed or even print it yourself on an inexpensive resin printer. Once you've mastered CAD there is no limit to the stuff you can produce in any medium.

(I avoided CAD for years but I was forced to learn it when the US Patent Office rejected my lousy drawings :D)

Indeed thats something I’ve been kicking myself to do for a while now. Would you say TurboCAD would be a good one?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Indeed thats something I’ve been kicking myself to do for a while now. Would you say TurboCAD would be a good one?

I've been using TurboCAD for 25+ years and it has always worked for me. The fact that it has been around for a longish time is important. Learning a new paradigm is not easy. Free CAD software always seem to be hook to get you to pay for the unfree version. TurboCAD is by no means perfect and upgrades are not free and they do seem to be getting more expensive. You pays your money......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I've been using TurboCAD for 25+ years and it has always worked for me. The fact that it has been around for a longish time is important. Learning a new paradigm is not easy. Free CAD software always seem to be hook to get you to pay for the unfree version. TurboCAD is by no means perfect and upgrades are not free and they do seem to be getting more expensive. You pays your money......

I see. I’ve been using TinkerCad since for 8 years now and it certainly has its limits, so I think any upgrade in software would be a good one. People make some amazing things in TinkerCad though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I see. I’ve been using TinkerCad since for 8 years now and it certainly has its limits, so I think any upgrade in software would be a good one. People make some amazing things in TinkerCad though.

If it works for you, go for it. I like TURBOcad because it allows me to convert precise 2D drawings in any plane into 3D objects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Now that would be a very helpful feature. Do you upload a scan of the drawing and then it’s converts it?

Alas, no. But what you could do is import the scan and convert various features into polylines that you could extrude into 3D objects.

For example you could describe a cab outline as a 2D polyline then make it three dimensional by extruding it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Alan himself sold the business some years ago and the current owner has never marketed the 7mm kits. I have no experiencevof the 4mm ones.  Thev7mm ones looked good but had problems. However there were kits for rototypes that I needed and the bodies looked fine.  I suspect they used the 4mm artwork blown up to 7mm which is a process that doesn't always go well.  I've still got a 2P to build.

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's official. We are now underground!

The extremely spendy people who are having a "guest cottage" built just behind us shelled out mucho clams to have the electric utility company bury the overhead power lines that run along our property line. The HT power lines and the phone/cable lines are a real eyesore and they were blocking their view of the lake.

The gent very much likes boats. Maybe he's interested in railways too :) ?

I've heard of underground trains but not many underground boats though there have been a few. Is he going to tunnel to the lake

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

It's not clear George Dixon had any number :D

The Met always had a strange waybof numbering, probably to confuse the public.  They had their warrant number 6 figures, not displayed but used for official documents, but they also seem to have shorter divisional numbers displayed on their tunics, a letter then a number.we just had a 4 figure number that would be reissued when we retired. There is somevpoor s0d walking round with mine.

Jamie

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Alan himself sold the business some years ago and the current owner has never marketed the 7mm kits. I have no experiencevof the 4mm ones.  Thev7mm ones looked good but had problems. However there were kits for rototypes that I needed and the bodies looked fine.  I suspect they used the 4mm artwork blown up to 7mm which is a process that doesn't always go well.  I've still got a 2P to build.

I've heard of underground trains but not many underground boats though there have been a few. Is he going to tunnel to the lake

The Met always had a strange waybof numbering, probably to confuse the public.  They had their warrant number 6 figures, not displayed but used for official documents, but they also seem to have shorter divisional numbers displayed on their tunics, a letter then a number.we just had a 4 figure number that would be reissued when we retired. There is somevpoor s0d walking round with mine.

Jamie

Jamie

1.  The Gibson 7mm O2 makes a decent little kit.

2. Might be a sodette?

Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, bbishop said:

1.  The Gibson 7mm O2 makes a decent little kit.

2. Might be a sodette?

Bill

1.  The main problem was his method of fixing the front bogies on the 4-4-0's.  A 3mm hole with no sideplay just doesn't work.  Other dimensions were out, usually by 5mm. Tender too low, boiler not of the right diameter and the fixing plate for the front bogie. That last one made 996 sit up at 10 degrees.  All correctable but not good design.  However the basic body is good.

2. No It was definitely male and worked at Killingbeck.  He may have retired by now and the station has been demolished. I suppose it could have been reissued again.

Beth's collar number was reissued and I got the doubtful pleasure of being tutor constable to the new wearer. She didn't like walking.  I didn't care about that and she had to keep up. Funnily enough Beth and I were once driving down the A1 and passed a low loader carrying a Great Western  Tank engine, not a pannier thank goodness, heading towards the NYMR and it had her old number on it. i did once suggest, from a distance, that she should have a framed photo of the loco on the wall. There was probably  a Black 5 with the same number in LMS days but I would need to do some research.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

At some point in the next 4 years or before Gibson shuts down I intend to buy a 4mm GWR 1076 Buffalo kit 

You cannot underestimate the probability of that kit being produced. The current proprietor has his work cut out keeping up with demand for wheels and other components that he is currently manufacturing or does have in stock, I gather that the locomotive kits are not high in his priorities as the amount of time it would divert from the bread and butter would not yield any jam. It seems to me that he's in the cleft stick of the successful cottage industrialist: he struggles to keep up with demand but can't afford to expand, to take on and train employees.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have tried to use Autocad in the past at Uni. Could i get it to do anything could I heckers like. I resorted to pen and A0 tracing paper on a drawing board. I would love to do a little course on Autocad or something similar at some point. Also I would love to be able to 3D print things now the printers have become more affordable but i struggle to get a normal printer to do what I want.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I am another TurboCad user.

It is brilliant for doing  3 layer drawings for etched sheets. 

I am currently trying to get to grips with Fusion 360...

Without much success. 

I never could get on with Autocad in 2D, so Fusion is not likely to improve my like of the marque. 

Solidworks is excellent, but I won't be taking out the mortgage required to perchase a copy. 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6