Irish wagon builds

On 28/01/2021 at 12:13, Robert Shrives said:

A quick hour saw some progress 

1440620993_CIEwagons27012021003.jpg.177ca4169d930f44891c1d2ebddfa07a.jpg

THIS pic shows off to absolute colour-coded perfection the dulling down of a freshly painted brown wagon at any time from 1970 onwards to today - to the very dull and slightly darker tone when (typically) weathered normally. I refer to the two on the right compared with the four on the left!

Superb job - as always, of course! Very realistic.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

4 on the left and the resin middlester  will be subject to a waft of grunge and a splodge of grease and oil when the mood takes -currently on bench is a 3mm  5 car BR blue freightliner set which has been a 1/3 done for over a decade... not good at rushing.    

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Two picks of some progress with Ballina coal container traffic as routed on Western Corridor to and from Foynes.

IFM 3D print bodies and Provincal wagons 20 foot container flat. Kaydees on end and a simple pin and loop between the rest.

Wagons need just a bit more work on brake dangly bits  but all will push and pull through 2nd rad Hornby set track reverse curves .   Just need some good pics of containers for identifying nos and any gen on actual wagon numbers to allow a bit of factual stuff . Digs on interweb, books and vids do not have the clarity of wagons so open to offers !      

196998239_irishcoalcont220422004.jpg.d01aa0f60f8478b354449e7d9920bf4e.jpg

1186278964_irishcoalcont220422003.jpg.70e685218b12e4eecb82cb3f17692bef.jpgThis pic shows most of rake  and a lima Mk2 in NIR livery looking for a hunslet in rtr...  

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Happily painted and rewheeled, pics show the home spun split pin and rod couplings and the right way up. 

252809769_irishcoalcont220422006.jpg.2cb5d0212194bc1f38b8e318ab15ad0a.jpg250679281_irishcoalcont220422007.jpg.6c9129c2d956a72bdc52b8e59e340bcd.jpg

Some more fiddling with silver and dark greys then glue containers on and add numbers, a drubble of coal and matt black/ dark matt greys inside the boxes.  

Along with oil containers and a orange container as a barrier then I can muster a good train for A or 141 haulage when the time comes.  

I am still on the out look for any good pics of the coal containers used.

Robert  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Little update on the pallet wagons, got some 33 link to the inch blacked chain from Cambrian models - £10 for a metre  and over last few days plucked up courage.  I drilled and fitted some 0.3 hadrail wire to locate end links of chain.

Due cost of chain I did not double wrap on drive pulley on wagon end, but then chain while tiny too big to double wrap  but does look the part.

1357060194_ciepalletwagons180822003.jpg.bf793e6b60fdb698bba241dd3cc2897e.jpg

The other picture shows end of wagon with one operating chain fitted.  I think this is too short and am looking for pic of that end of wagon - I would think the pull chain was retained by a clip or similar.   Lots still to do but getting there.

397789332_ciepalletwagons180822008.jpg.ab357715411dc89ac2c40b9f2ffd5a51.jpg

Have to say doing three is enough !

Robert  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

... got some 33 link to the inch blacked chain from Cambrian models - £10 for a metre  ...

Looks good - would you say the links are sufficiently strong to rig a detailed Hornby Dublo breakdown crane?

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally chains on balance weight wheels  and a bonus set of pics of tanktainer frames. 

124944990_ciepalletwagons180822010.jpg.61b6a522b162a9fb21061abc5651a42a.jpg

820327498_ciepalletwagons180822012.jpg.4b15cd26a9c0a80ea58d8d70460cc19a.jpg

Despite a search I could not find a clear pic of how the pull chain on the balance weight was secured on end - cue 10 phots in perfect clarity showing my fiction !

Tank frames are the last from S kits - having been in a loft for some years and came with a bag of misc bits so hopefully enough for 3 more tanks - Milliput on ends to make a dome end - luckily the frames will hide any really naff shaping.  Leslie has chassis for these - 5 standard flats and I make two IRM 20` side container boxes into barriers but these will await  a while pending bits, no rush it being a hobby.

Painting next for the cements- faded french blue would seem the way to go and a bucket of rust and grease streaks looking at photos I found.

If Grunt - shite comes good on promise to fire and rehire I might even have a bit more time to model.( minister of not interfering in transport matters unless a photo opp available.)- other views are of course available..

Robert    

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi 

Well not able to upload pics due to sickly PC and probably user error.. I can add now made up five fuel tank container wagons and the 10 coal containers so along with a barrier or two from the IRM orange side door container .

Also found time to paint and weather the three cement bifold wagons but find I have castings for a forth which is confusing to say the least. Found bits to make a short PW flat 23xxx series - seen a pic with a car on one so maybe a suitable load at some time.  looking now to progress the UTA spoil wags, bogie cements and ammonia tanks over the holiday period as only myself to amuse for 3 days.

Robert      

Edited by Robert Shrives
added info

• RMweb Gold

Overtime over festive weekend in Wagon works with 19 worked on - UTA spoils almost over the finishing line, brakes on ammonia wagons created by copying the etched set but bogies gone MIA so added those to a quick soldering session.  The three  bogie cements got the fiddly manifolds created - light bulb moment using kato sprues in a junk box a case of "you never when it will come in useful"  actually working out. 

So nothing finished but given a good shove. 

Final wagons ought to be Foynes - silvermines wagons and some rail carrier bogie wagons.   

Hopefully that covers most flows in Ireland along with the wonderful wagons from IRM.    Only short rakes of 3 or 4 wagons - ideal for a Limerick wagon works trips for repairs.

Robert 

• Like 1