Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I hope I’m not the bearer of bad news but that 60 looks like the one Hornby cocked up the placement of the sector logos, before reissuing a new body. Check the small blue square .

 

 

5D2A40EB-04D5-474B-830A-8550B30B528A.png

Hi Rob, sorted! - new coat of grey for the upper body side ready for a replacement set  of metals chevrons. Much better and thanks for the heads up - I’m now off to specsavers!

F2F141F4-82C5-4AE9-ADE1-EC5529FEB186.jpeg.77881bd5b77b8e363f64038c64268020.jpeg

Edited by Squirrel Rail
Pic added
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

 Beautiful !

I didn’t want you to finish it and inevitably , some other rivet counter, than me point out the Hornby cock up !

 

 

Bloody rivet counters....thanks Rob

 

Jerry - stick the extra chevrons on me bill pal, no worries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

 Beautiful !

I didn’t want you to finish it and inevitably , some other rivet counter, than me point out the Hornby cock up !

 

Hi Rob, it rang alarm bells with me when I was putting the decals on as it was so close to the cant rail - what’s even worse is I’ve remedied these before- I’ll blame old age but cheers for pointing it out and it was definitely worth the fix. Taking my frustration out on a rake of coil carriers which are getting a right coating :lol: this is just the start....

3CF1AADD-5BA8-45EF-BCD0-20830B44505F.jpeg.ef500e8deef7ee6a500f494312f5dc10.jpeg

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

More wagons this afternoon with the N Gauge seacows getting some more "colour" on them

IMG_2756.jpg.eaf7053a67c1481fa70721c2f1067014.jpg

It's a nice challenge to keep things fine on the N gauge stuff and  really enjoyable to work on 

IMG_2757.jpg.99df968d33fb0af2c8b83c3baf09a372.jpg

The other N subject is the 60 respray which has had it's GBRF orange added and will be left for a while to harden before the blue goes on. 

IMG_2763.jpg.b4b877633cc041a4e5e0da72d94265e2.jpg

Last up more wagons with the coil carriers getting some more shades of rust - it's a shame the light doesn't pick up the shades but hopefully the pics will give you some idea of what is happening to them!

IMG_2758.jpg.a2e2724e7e3922440efc318507b10ef8.jpg

 

IMG_2759.jpg.2cf4b0703a1439d1f14712d38c1a885b.jpg

 

The light has reflected here so it doesn't show the colours on the inside but it's a good view of the top of the chassis!

IMG_2760.jpg.79ae41b49e8f4256e07c809949ea1b6b.jpg

 

Hopefully get some more done tomorrow afternoon when I'm back from sorting the oldies! 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much progress today but managed to get the blue onto the N Gauge 60 and the orange bands on the 90. Both works in progress so will be tidier when finished:lol: First up is the 60 which needs the roof spraying next, the orange bands are 1mm so happy with those!

IMG_2780.jpg.550ffc25b7568454b952c4bf62a4b212.jpg

Here's the 90, bit covered in fluff from the kitchen roll masking. The orange has a bit of a ridge from the masking but the paintwork will all be flattened before restoring the finish with a coat of satin later in the build. Couple of bits to tidy up at the bottom of the handrails too.IMG_2783.jpg.295b2fa0f3788c3caaafee3626ff78f6.jpg

 

IMG_2782.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finishing off a few things today with the Cavalex Coil Carriers being first up and a bit of a difference to the original red plastic. There's six in all but just took a few pics of three of them. I still can't seem to get a decent pic to capture the colours...

IMG_2793.jpg.720e1c1d0705151a81ea84e557399f05.jpg

Slightly better pic...

IMG_2791.jpg.6f4f5099c67cf2e8965a9037a3d0dc8d.jpg

better!

IMG_2792.jpg.1babf9511c8ce0882969ebf65315d446.jpg

 

IMG_2790.jpg.3cee076608baf52080a5c74b10728780.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy day but not too much to show for it - 60034 with it’s corrected decals has began weathering!

E664CDBD-6292-40D3-961C-5C9751C94B41.jpeg.09b0167718b7acd7c46ab9864503e4de.jpeg

the rest of the day has been with this lot, the 90 and N gauge 60 have been getting their cant rails, HST - P is having some tweaking to its BR Arrows, the 57 and 31 are for resprays and being prepped and the 47 and 66 will be for respray and renumbering respectively.

9908A7D0-1FD7-40E8-B0C6-BD4ACA4EDD01.jpeg.b42f981d2f45c24b70bcf9dc47bc5978.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just caught up on this thread, excellent standard and quality, very impressed. I spotted 47843 on eBay which led me here lol.

 

A question for you, when you weather the underframe do you mask off the wheels? I always find there's an overspray if I don't and then there's the dreaded wheel clean process which I hate. I've made some card box covers for 37s and 47s which seem to work quite well, but haven't expanded out to other classes yet.

 

Love 58033 btw, tempted to give it a go myself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Just caught up on this thread, excellent standard and quality, very impressed. I spotted 47843 on eBay which led me here lol.

 

A question for you, when you weather the underframe do you mask off the wheels? I always find there's an overspray if I don't and then there's the dreaded wheel clean process which I hate. I've made some card box covers for 37s and 47s which seem to work quite well, but haven't expanded out to other classes yet.

 

Love 58033 btw, tempted to give it a go myself.

Many thanks for the kind comments! With regards to the wheels I usually weather the faces lightly and then use IPA to wipe off  any overspray on the rear and contact surface, 58033 is a good project - it certainly looks different. Cheers Jerry

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of progress today with the 57 and 31 going into primer

D4F0C34C-5DE1-4F46-8762-331D684BDDBF.jpeg.be881195674c8b18f0560146efdde2ec.jpeg

A long term project has been the battle with the BR arrows on the HST-P. I’ve now come up with this where I’ve used a decal, clear coated it then masked it and sprayed it grey.  To the naked eye it looks fine even if the camera is a bit cruel!

4D981D84-104C-4E78-B76C-5E035D281D44.jpeg.5cb1d7eafcddfc9345c3844bf970618b.jpeg

last up is the GC 90 which is back in one piece now and starting to get there. Just need to decide which number, full branding and if it’s weathered - I fancy 026 which is unbranded and a bit dirty now!!

605BC080-56C9-4CCD-AC9E-629BF86FE8D8.jpeg.edd3c8de7a1dc5939b3cd298899a1f53.jpeg

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Various bits and pieces today as decals and nameplates I need are stuck in the post unfortunately....

Yellow ends and panel on a 47 and 57 first up,AF93BFC4-1E87-41C4-ACAA-8F9D9D109958.jpeg.3c5c2363c965794770fca2d7c5f045e1.jpeg 

Next up was finishing the paint on the HST-P where I masked and sprayed the arrows to get a good match on the grey. This one can head home now.

0A254F49-9ED7-4726-AA50-A4311AEC1B39.jpeg.af1c91afa8bfbcb77d5e3b46f894869c.jpeg

Slightly smaller and the N gauge 60 respray had its decals on today so will be weathered tomorrow 

39F4DE1B-6338-4695-865F-5F8A4074EB7A.jpeg.9dcd117ef73816f380b9efd0fb79a082.jpeg
lastly started decaling on the GC 90 as well as adding white tyres and silver buffers - full bling on this one!

66A0F162-3300-4DC7-8931-D03461B7D331.jpeg.cb2a4911925e5a4f473215c688c923db.jpeg

Looking at my reference pics I noticed that I had carried the orange bar under the handrails where it should be black so a quick amendment to the paint2EFDE317-2697-49F2-B1BA-3FA797BF8454.jpeg.038833a917ca2873237dd6d67c5313bd.jpeg

Will redo the handrails tomorrow and get the other decals on. 

  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Great work as always Jerry 

 

Ben 

Cheers Ben, see you have been very busy too - don't know about you but we haven't had letter post for over a week and I'm starting to get a queue of bits needing decals and nameplates! 

All the best, Cheers Jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Oh no - fortunately post is back to normal here and seems most days there is either a new model to do or new decals and nameplates arriving for models in progress.....

 

Ben 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, cambo74 said:

Oh no - fortunately post is back to normal here and seems most days there is either a new model to do or new decals and nameplates arriving for models in progress.....

 

Ben 

Apart from the 90 and the N gauge 60 all this lot are waiting decals and plates  which are somewhere in the postal system:o

D282EC19-BF0F-492E-BFA0-FB4A6F920EB3.jpeg.67afa510ea5718bc69baf687e5d8cdcf.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Painting today as we have snow forecast tomorrow so the workshop could be a bit chilly. Grey roofs went on the 57 and 47- it’s going to be 47847 hence the different grey to “normal” large logo. 31601 is all grey and a pair of 50s are now painted. These two started life as 045 and 007, 045 being the horrible nappy brown weathering job...
B547E98B-38C5-4E3C-BB45-A3FBE7381896.jpeg.7682c8437a369f7e87c33b8df0061b5a.jpeg


I have removed the majority of the factory weathering and the blue has been replaced with NSE light blue, 007 has gone from green to blue to become D400. Here’s the pair out from paint but with masking still in place;

50C3D7BB-1836-4F1A-A754-EB06C66A1995.jpeg.bc73026af921a2b658cbd75932b7ccb8.jpeg

And with the masking removed, few tidy ups to do but not until the paint is fully hardened. The 47, 31 and 57 are loitering in the background and will be tomorrow’s workload! 
CFD37CB6-A418-45AF-98CB-648C23D076ED.jpeg.d57bba41bb486fa1aeb7f0bf47576c8f.jpeg

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t had an update for a couple of days as been busy on the domestic front with our latest grandson:yahoo: however here’s what’s been happening:

went to reassemble the 50s but the cab floors on D400 ( ex 50007) had the metal maggot and promptly disintegrated- I tried a pair of scratch built ones but wasn’t happy with how the lights sat

BBE00401-E154-4B2A-A56B-A5532A048913.jpeg.1b5cdce6dd5468dc1754e1cb410a35d0.jpeg

found out that a pair of spare 31 floors fitted exactly so that’s gone back together and now waiting for decals stuck in the post!

C790418D-624E-4CBA-A2AD-E5585435C7B6.jpeg.5c2c6bca26566c380faee61a8390bb0c.jpeg

The rest of the time has been spent reassembling the 47, 57 and 31. I changed the colour on the roof of the 57 as I wasn’t happy with it. Tidying up to do on all 3 but apart from the 57 I can’t finish the other two as the decals and plates are in the post:o

FF1E54E9-FD79-440F-8A9B-87E17BF87158.jpeg.6d7611f96fc6dda3437d0aef33a15708.jpeg

Have finished the N gauge 60 and the last Seacow that I had missed when I unpacked them so they will be heading home tomorrow,
DAC5894A-9E1C-4872-85EF-4C932D0BEADF.jpeg.78c2da837f95d34cbe500e0427dc9b44.jpeg

9FA6F6AE-AD6E-4F05-9DE0-9353ED9CCD3F.jpeg.eec9cf96d10aca8d1ff4bec157147064.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Haven’t had an update for a couple of days as been busy on the domestic front with our latest grandson:yahoo: however here’s what’s been happening:

went to reassemble the 50s but the cab floors on D400 ( ex 50007) had the metal maggot and promptly disintegrated- I tried a pair of scratch built ones but wasn’t happy with how the lights sat

BBE00401-E154-4B2A-A56B-A5532A048913.jpeg.1b5cdce6dd5468dc1754e1cb410a35d0.jpeg

found out that a pair of spare 31 floors fitted exactly so that’s gone back together and now waiting for decals stuck in the post!

C790418D-624E-4CBA-A2AD-E5585435C7B6.jpeg.5c2c6bca26566c380faee61a8390bb0c.jpeg

The rest of the time has been spent reassembling the 47, 57 and 31. I changed the colour on the roof of the 57 as I wasn’t happy with it. Tidying up to do on all 3 but apart from the 57 I can’t finish the other two as the decals and plates are in the post:o

FF1E54E9-FD79-440F-8A9B-87E17BF87158.jpeg.6d7611f96fc6dda3437d0aef33a15708.jpeg

Have finished the N gauge 60 and the last Seacow that I had missed when I unpacked them so they will be heading home tomorrow,
DAC5894A-9E1C-4872-85EF-4C932D0BEADF.jpeg.78c2da837f95d34cbe500e0427dc9b44.jpeg

9FA6F6AE-AD6E-4F05-9DE0-9353ED9CCD3F.jpeg.eec9cf96d10aca8d1ff4bec157147064.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

the colour on the 50s looks much better .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.