Barry Railway 6-wheel Brake Van

I am researching the above vehicle, in particular the liveries associated with each era of its history.  I am familiar with the Barry Railway livery and the subsequent GW livery.  Where I need further clarification is the livery used during nationalisation.  The van was vacuum piped.  Would I therefore be right in assuming that it carried the bauxite livery of that period?

• RMweb Gold

If it was repainted by British Railways then it would have carried bauxite livery as a through piped vehicle, but my view is that, as these vans were all withdrawn in the early 50s AFAIK, it is unlikely that any were repainted by BR after 1948.   Most likely for this period would have been 1937-48 GW livery with the small G W lettering bottom left, and fairly dirty.  

Edited by The Johnster

• 6 months later...
On 09/08/2020 at 23:27, Rhobat Bryn said:

I am researching the above vehicle, in particular the liveries associated with each era of its history.  I am familiar with the Barry Railway livery and the subsequent GW livery.  Where I need further clarification is the livery used during nationalisation.  The van was vacuum piped.  Would I therefore be right in assuming that it carried the bauxite livery of that period?

Do you have a gw number for such a toad? 

Any pics??

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Piemanlarger said:

Do you have a gw number for such a toad? 

I've seen a picture of a BR(W) liveried (grey unfitted)  of one of the two ex Cambrian double ended brake vans they took into stock in 1948.  I think it was at Towyn, but cannot find the picture.  I suspect that the repaint was probably confined to black patches with up to date details such as a W prefix to the van number.

This would suggest that any of the pre grouping vehicles still in service would have been similarly treated.

Of course, unless someone can categorically state with the relevant documentary evidence that no ex Barry brake van was ever painted to represent a through piped or fitted vehicle who can prove otherwise? 

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

The GWR numbers were 35971/73/77/81/82/83/85, 35987/93/98/56481/82. I assume that the BR numbers would simply have added a prefix letter.

(Source: "Welsh Railways Records Volume 2: Barry Railway Drawings" published by the WRRC.)

Jonathan

Thank you very much

There is an image of W35971 in the Railways in Profile series No. 17: “G.W.R. Wagons Before 1948 vol. 2”, plate 104.

The image is dated 1952, and the van is in 1936 small GW livery, with the ‘G’ painted out.  The vacuum pipe upright is painted white.  This van is also written: To work between / ACTON & SMITHFIELD ONLY. / ACTON.R.U.  An earlier allocation has been overpainted by the Acton RU.

Ref:  Railways in Profile Series No.17  G.W.R. Wagons Before 1948 Vol. 2  Diagrams S Fish Wagons to AA Toad Brake Vans & DD Tank Wagons, comp. Tourret R, Cheona Publications (Llanffyfni) 2009, pp 57.

Regards

TMc

26/02/2021

• Thanks 1