IRM Launches The Weed Spray Pack

• RMweb Gold

2.jpg.c4a7188d7dc48a649fdcb9f7c4bdc4af.jpg

Hi everyone,

Our highly anticipated weed spray set is now in stock in time to signal the final days of the prototype in service on the network! 

IE's weed spray train has been an essential infrastructure service for many years, operating every May across the entire IE network (including closed lines) to keep weed growth under control. In latter years it has also operated in September due to a change in the chemicals used.

3.jpg.dd624f7736179224719768efeb10dbcc.jpg

The prototype train switched from 20ft flats to 42ft flats in the mid 2000s with the introduction of the modified BR van. Operation was usually with a 141 and latterly an 071 with a very occasional 201 providing haulage. 

More recently the weed spray wagons have been paired with the larger sperry container wagon for brake force on its track recording missions across the network.

10.jpg.e255dd7b5a8b476bbb6400d83dfe8457.jpg

Our weed spray pack features the three 42ft flat wagons with the distinctive weed spray tanks and a single CIE 20ft container used for storage of supplies. The tanks used were re-purposed from four wheeled tank wagons featuring the distinctive Bulleid triangulated underframes. 

13.jpg.fd03ac02e7770ca05c3e77db939d691b.jpg

This set is finished off with a 20ft container finished in a darker brown shade to reflect the darkened state of the prototype in service. 

As you can now expect from our models, the weed spray pack features a high level of detail and prototype fidelity to do these interesting prototypes justice! the diecast framed wagons feature sprung buffers, kinematic couplings with NEM pockets at correct height (and separate coupling bars provided for close coupling) as well as weighty tanks and container. 

5.jpg.b34f55bb07583072f9414755583551ff.jpg

We are still looking at producing the weed spray van, but as it is such a unique vehicle it is very hard to justify a RTR model. Thankfully there are models of this van already available in model form.

12.jpg.4ce600fd0a9ddc49e308cd623cd509a9.jpg

The weed spray pack is now in stock and available for €150 for the three wagons. An essential pack for any layout based over the last 15 years of operation, this self contained short train is perfect for haulage behind your 141 or 071 models.

Production is limited so make sure you place an order quickly for immediate dispatch here before they go! Place your order by clicking here

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9

I've been looking at some pictures of the weed spraying coach on Flickr and I'm wondering is it just based on some kind of Mk1? At first I thought it was a BSK, but then I noticed that it has double doors near the passenger section so perhaps not. It looks like the love child of a BG and a BSK.

Irish Rail 073 in Mallow.

Irish Rail 3187 in Cobh Station.

Irish Rail 071 at Rosslare Strand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

AIUI Irish locos couldn't provide train heat so there was always a generator van of some sort on passenger trains.  A  number of BR built BG's were used along with other types.  Isn't the spray van just one of these with alterations?

rev BG 3180TLA Limerick Junction May 2003.jpg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

AIUI Irish locos couldn't provide train heat so there was always a generator van of some sort on passenger trains.  A  number of BR built BG's were used along with other types.  Isn't the spray van just one of these with alterations?

rev BG 3180TLA Limerick Junction May 2003.jpg

Hi there,

They were converted from 2nd hand regauged BCKs and BSKs and the weedspray van is a heavily modified one of them.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 2

The yellow looks rather bright, some weathering is called for, which would be appropriate as the whole spraying process is very messy. All the same I love these, Accurascale have clearly done it again.  I'm almost tempted to get one.  However to run it on my layout I suppose I would have to justify it with an imaginary break of gauge and a hypothetical Irish Sea Tunnel (Stranraer-Belfast, FIshguard-Rosslare, Holyhead-Dublin?)  which seems even more of a fantasy as a result of Brexit.  Too much of a stretch of the imagination I fear.  But I'm pleased that modellers of the Irish scene are so much better catered for than used to be the case.

• Like 1