2020 Hornby Siphon H

Does the new Hornby GWR Siphon H have accurate bogies? Previous models eg Mainline version needed conversion with Shapeways 9’ American bogies.  If the new Hornby bogies are accurate then presumably they are candidates to use on improving the old Mainline version.

Interested in people’s views

16 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Hornby's 'Siphon H' is in fact a Siphon G.

hornby-siphonG.jpg.0e335887fea441c42c30234e4a800532.jpg

Regarding the bogies, I think there is a pic of a late-surviving G with 9' plate bogies on Paul Bartlett's site, but for GW days, 9' Americans were the norm.

In the good old days of Mainline, IIRC, they produced fine, apart from the bogies, models of both Siphon G, low roof and corridor connections, and Siphon H, high roof and end doors. I can't see any corridor connections, so what have Hornby done? Is it a G without the connections, or an H with lower roof?

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Simon60 said:

Interested in people’s views

Has the clock turned back forty years. These certainly don't cut the mustard in the 21st century. Don't buy them. Compare the underframe detail on one of these to the Bachmann PLV or VAN C and then weep.

• RMweb Gold

I have them on my Siphon H, where they work perfectly and run very freely with Bachmann wheels, and I see no reason why they shouldn't work on the Mainline derived outside framed Siphon G.  I have a Lima inside framed G with Stafford Road Shapways bogies which is another excellent runner.  Stafford Road supply these with fittings for Mainline and Lima bodies.

• Informative/Useful 1