Merry Christmas.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Jigsaws as in power tools. 

Very clever Jeff; you're too sharp for me.

Off to do some colouring in pictures...

I doubt Is like to cross blades with your wit, Peter.

Especially at 6,000 rpm!

Your humour is always much appreciated. So for that, I'll give you an added silver star (used to love getting stars at school) - happy 2021!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've completed the missing brickwork on 3 of the arch liners. I had to leave 2 or 3 courses at either end of the liners to give me room to flex the plastikard as it was manoeuvred into position. The new bricks will get some washes of grey paint tomorrow.

A third arch ring has been built. When the liners are sorted I'll be able to fix the rings in place and mortar them.

More stones on pier 6. I'm pretty sure I'm over half way now, though the upper section of the viaduct may be tricky as the stonework there is different to the piers.

More pics, probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I've completed the missing brickwork on 3 of the arch liners. I had to leave 2 or 3 courses at either end of the liners to give me room to flex the plastikard as it was manoeuvred into position. The new bricks will get some washes of grey paint tomorrow.

A third arch ring has been built. When the liners are sorted I'll be able to fix the rings in place and mortar them.

More stones on pier 6. I'm pretty sure I'm over half way now, though the upper section of the viaduct may be tricky as the stonework there is different to the piers.

More pics, probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Jeff

Pics are always welcome, although I do appreciate they are time consuming Jeff.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Pics are always welcome, although I do appreciate they are time consuming Jeff.

Agree with you there, Andy - on the first point. I take plenty of pics and don't mind uploading them - when my steam powered laptop decides to cooperate!

I hate photos with flash and the pics from my phone of the arch liner were pretty cr@p. I'll sort something once I've put a bit of paint on.

J.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: A lot of work has been done today - more, probably, than at any time in the last 2 weeks.

And not a single stone fitted to a pier.

May get some pics on here tomorrow evening.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Not quite. I did say on Monday that I'd try and post something on here tonight or tomorrow. So felt obliged.

Spending 2 hours with my hands covered in DAS-PVA mortar isn't very photogenic! :D

And I do feel guilty about posting pics just for the sake of it. Even if you do like them! :P

Something will appear tomorrow. Maybe I should do a Bodgit "spot the difference" to see who can see what has been done? :wacko:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
I am FED up with the bl**dy auto-correct on this site. EVERY post ends up with several changes. How can I turn it off??
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

There isn’t an autocorrect on the site, It is something that your browser software is doing. Are you on Windows 10 perchance?

I am on a Mac and Safari provides autocorrect, which is quite good, but Windows Edge on the work PC is horrendous.

Rich

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My Windows 10 does strange things too with the curser  jumping all over the place when typing or deleting part sentences. I've installed something called TouchFreeze which has helped a bit.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've actually replied to this spell-bu99er-upper nonsense - but for some reason put it in the old KL thread!

KL becomes "UK", change the correction it becomes "OK". This is insane. It NEVER used to be as bad as this.

I sent a PM to Andy P a while back. At the end of the final sentence, after the full stop, the system added the word "Netherlands". WHY!!??!!

Mad!!!!!!!

Edited by Physicsman
System changed PUT to OUT!!!! WHY!!!???
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As a keen follower of KL2 somehow I had managed to miss the fact that you had started on this build Jeff.

Anyhow, I have just spent the last three hours reading through the project so far and have to say that the viaduct, even at this stage, is simply stunning.

Looking forward to continuing to follow during 2021.

All the best, and a better 2021 than 2020.

Scott B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Scott B said:

As a keen follower of KL2 somehow I had managed to miss the fact that you had started on this build Jeff.

Anyhow, I have just spent the last three hours reading through the project so far and have to say that the viaduct, even at this stage, is simply stunning.

Looking forward to continuing to follow during 2021.

All the best, and a better 2021 than 2020.

Scott B

Welcome back to the Lunester nuthouse, Scott.

Easy to miss stuff on RMweb, so many threads!

All the best to you for 2021, and...

ALL THE BEST TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS ON HERE.

Let's hope we can have a more "normal" year!

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Jeff

What constitutes normal to a man who thinks nothing of “laying” several thousand 4mm scale stones to clad a viaduct (which is looking fabulous, by the by)

Happier 2021

David

Good point, David.

I used to do a lot of fishing, and it requires a lot of patience - you can sit for hours and catch nothing. But the anticipation and the surroundings more than make up for any potential boredom.

During my research I'd spend hours processing plastic detectors, looking for damage caused by nuclear decay. It had to be done, there was an end goal and I suppose it developed a patient attitude.

And with the astrophotography, you can sit staring at the laptop screen, watching the data accumulate on the imaging camera, knowing it's going to take a good bit of time processing it all before the final result comes out.

Just a few examples - I suppose I'm trying to say that I've developed a very patient attitude and know the result of the "long haul" is worth it. "Journey before destination" is part of my normality!

When KL2 was so rudely dismembered there was nothing to do about the situation but to start planning - 2 years on, as it turned out - for the next build. Some people need results NOW. I find a pleasing satisfaction in watching things develop over time, and I know I'll feel a bit of an anticlimax when the viaduct is finished.

Sorry if I'm woffling - just trying to explain why what to some may appear insanity is just a (very long but) normal task with an anticipated end result.

You raise an interesting issue, David. I suppose we all have individual normalities. So what I'll wish for you all is that 2021 allows you to get on, with no constraints, with those things you feel makes you "tick", ie. your normality.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Back onto modelling matters....

3 hours so far today, more later - after I've stuffed myself with the New Year's Day feast....

I've fitted a 6th arch ring and started adding stones to pier 1 - 1st pic.

A view of the viaduct from the opposite (North) end to usual - 2nd pic.

3rd and 4th pics, me being "artistic" - ha ha.

Jeff

20210101_154232.jpg

20210101_154105.jpg

20210101_154150.jpg

20210101_154207.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Absolutly splendid Jeff. as for the sanity question no doubt some would question your sanity but if a things is worth doing it is worth doing well  even more so doing it very well. Besides what would the questioners be doing....  

On that sort of subject have you ever tried doing SMD surface mount devices. I have done some and have more to do the next lot are 0803  which means that the resistors and capacitors are 2mm x 0.75mm  and if you have an ARM core processor about an inch square with 36 terminals on each of the four sides.....

Don 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1