Jump to content

Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour


Physicsman
 Share

Recommended Posts

That point rodding look affective Jeff, it really does make a difference though. I think I might do this to Cowgill eventually once I'm fighting fit again. 

 

What era are you going to run the layout as?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Simon Moore said:

That point rodding look affective Jeff, it really does make a difference though. I think I might do this to Cowgill eventually once I'm fighting fit again. 

 

What era are you going to run the layout as?

 

Hi Simon.

 

The point rodding has been an easier task this time round as I'm fitting it before ballast goes down. Amazing how difficult removing ballast is when you're trying to avoid damaging anything else.

 

As for running period..... Some features of the layout, such as the cattle dock, were effectively defunct by the mid 60s, but I want to include one - especially as I've a lot of cattle wagons I converted to EM. So, let's say an earliest running time of the late 50s.

 

The buildings I've constructed (for KL2 in 2017, and need finishing) - main station building and 2 versions of the goods shed - would be appropriate for, say most of the 20th century, judging from the pics of the prototype.

 

I currently have no steam locos in EM - I've around 30 in 00 that would be relevant, if converted (9F, 8F, Black 5, 4F and Standards etc). So I'm stuck to running diesels at the mo....

 

Now, my preferred livery is green, so going non-blue keeps me below, say, 1973-4. Hence it looks like I'm running the cop-out period, where "anything goes", around 1957-74.

 

As many on here know, the landscape is my primary motivation for building layouts. I try to be true to period, but the locos have almost become incidental. So I'd not be averse to a class 66 hauling wagons over the viaduct or a WCML interloper such as a Duchess plodding round!I

 

Jeff

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff, I'm not sure if your aware or not, but many Cattle Wagons went to Breweries like Bass for Beer deliveries to London. Barry at Tutbury Models, had Dapol do many Ltd Ed for him.

Apparently it was not unusual to see a full rake of Ex Cattle Wagons forming a Beer Train, One could be heading YOUR WAY very soon.:D

Dapol-limited-edition-wagon-Bass-Ale-Tutbury-Jinny.jpg.3e21c2965fc78f2fae833754b769deef.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

 

Hi Simon.

 

The point rodding has been an easier task this time round as I'm fitting it before ballast goes down. Amazing how difficult removing ballast is when you're trying to avoid damaging anything else.

 

As for running period..... Some features of the layout, such as the cattle dock, were effectively defunct by the mid 60s, but I want to include one - especially as I've a lot of cattle wagons I converted to EM. So, let's say an earliest running time of the late 50s.

 

The buildings I've constructed (for KL2 in 2017, and need finishing) - main station building and 2 versions of the goods shed - would be appropriate for, say most of the 20th century, judging from the pics of the prototype.

 

I currently have no steam locos in EM - I've around 30 in 00 that would be relevant, if converted (9F, 8F, Black 5, 4F and Standards etc). So I'm stuck to running diesels at the mo....

 

Now, my preferred livery is green, so going non-blue keeps me below, say, 1973-4. Hence it looks like I'm running the cop-out period, where "anything goes", around 1957-74.

 

As many on here know, the landscape is my primary motivation for building layouts. I try to be true to period, but the locos have almost become incidental. So I'd not be averse to a class 66 hauling wagons over the viaduct or a WCML interloper such as a Duchess plodding round!I

 

Jeff

 

I am ruling out using point rodding then! Cowgills ballast is solid as a rock.

 

Well running green diesels is an easy affair especially when it comes to converting them. A 9f will try the patience of a Saint. I have a fleet of br models I'm working through & my next is an 8f. I'm not looking forward to that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2021 at 23:39, Physicsman said:

Rich, the stools and cranks are MSE. You can get them for 4mm and 7mm. The rods are 0.4mm diameter nickel silver wire.

 

All available from Wizard Models, Humberside.

 

Online shop has everything well set-out.

 

Thanks Jeff,

My little project is slowly progressing in the background, but signalling rods/wires will be a necessity when it gets there. Only a small diorama, so shouldn't be too long. If I can get it looking half as good as KL3/4/5 ( :P ) I'll be happy!

 

Rich

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A few pics, just taken.

 

The ballasting and weathering of most of the goods yard is well underway. More weathering washes (I use a grey mix on the main lines and a grey/umber/black mix on the goods lines) will be added, but the pristine ballast colour is now receding - doesn't always show in photos at this stage. The first is a panorama of 4 pics, taken with a bit of daylight coming in - hence the difference in tone between the two pics.

 

20210731_182425_stitch crop rs.jpg

 

IMG_8516 crop rs.jpg

 

Some pics of the Lanarkshire buffers. The heavy version on the lie-by headshunt and the Midland standard at the other end of the lie-by. Both have been primed and had a coat of grime applied. I'll do a bit more work tomorrow and add in ballast around them once they're fixed in place.

 

IMG_8496 crop.jpg

 

IMG_8498 rs.JPG

 

IMG_8517 crop.JPG

 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Formatting pics
  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The main task today has been starting the build - and walling  - of the next 75cm of embankment behind the goods area. Hope to have this ready for grassing by Thursday.

 

The buffer stops are now fixed in place, the lie-by and buffers have received a liberal dose of weathering gunge, including an increased brown element - not that you'd really notice it once the paint dried. Here are 3 pics, just taken after I decided to splatter the area with some late-evening paint mix.

 

 

20210801_225713 rs.jpg

 

20210801_225827 crop.jpg

 

20210801_230123 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, lambiedg said:

It would have to be post watershed if it was REALLY dirty!

 

D

 

Very good, David. Pics were taken at around 11pm. Nearer midnight and they would have truly been pornographic!.....

 

Seriously, the grot factor is increasing. A bit more paint is needed on the surrounding cess. Great fun. Rail yards were grotty places, so  I think an increase in entropy helps with the realism.

 

Just off to do a bit more walling. After 2 weeks without getting stoned I was starting to suffer withdraWALL symptoms.

 

 Sorry, couldn't resist.

 

J.

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling correction
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know that some of you like your dose of pics, so here's a few, just taken.

 

The white "blob" at the upper right of some of them is the new section of embankment, currently with 1200 stones on it. I had to lean over, standing on the rowing machine, so one or two may not be entirely horizontal.

 

The weathering is still ongoing, and, to keep David happy - subject to the whims of Boltzmann's S = k ln (Omega), getting dirtier by the minute!

 

Jeff

 

IMG_8528 crop rs.jpg

 

IMG_8530 crop rs.JPG

 

IMG_8529 crop rs.JPG

 

IMG_8531 crop rs.JPG

 

IMG_8532 rs.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I don't know if you've finished the rodding, Jeff but are you going to put a couple of stools in the 10' to support the rodding going over to the yard turnouts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I don't know if you've finished the rodding, Jeff but are you going to put a couple of stools in the 10' to support the rodding going over to the yard turnouts?

 

Rodding is complete back to the signal box area, though stuff is needed for the slip etc.

 

The yard turnouts will be operated by hand levers, not from the box.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

 

Rodding is complete back to the signal box area, though stuff is needed for the slip etc.

 

The yard turnouts will be operated by hand levers, not from the box.

 

 

 

I was looking at photos 3&4 above, (I wish posts had numbers like they used to) Jeff where rodding goes to a turnout in the goods loop across the 10', I think there would have been stools as I've seen them in photos even on rodding going across the 6'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If I get chance I'll take a photo of the plan I'm working from.

 

I replaced the double slip for a left hand and Y turnout combination on KL2. I've got the same here. IIRC, the Y (to dock and single slip) is connected to rodding, the left (goods shed/loop) isn't. 

 

Will put something on later, if poss.

 

At the end of the day, so long as most of the rodding is correct - and looks good - I'm happy.

 

J.

 

 

Edited by Physicsman
Turnouts muddled!
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here you are, Jonathan. 

 

First two pics showing the signal box area. Crank along from the compensator, on the left, goes to the Y- turnout that feeds the cattle dock. The hand-operated lever for the left-hand turnout to the goods loop/shed is clear at the upper right.

 

IMG_8534 rs.JPG

 

IMG_8535 rs.JPG

 

The pic shows what I've built, to date. The crank needs connecting to the cattle dock point, but the rodding is in place.

 

IMG_8536 rs.JPG

Edited by Physicsman
Turnouts muddled!
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Can I point out that I DO NOT want to engage in a further discussion about the intricacies of point-rodding.

 

I am no expert in these matters, and defer to my rodding guru John Wardle (aka Old Gringo), who drew up the plan for me when I fitted rodding onto KL2 in September 2017. I'm quite happy with what he suggested and it looks prototypical, so that's good enough for me.

 

No offence to anybody, but there are PLENTY of other GH-related matters, on which I'm qualified to comment, that simply aren't being discussed on here. Hence my earlier comments about whether I should continue to post pictures that attract no comment.

 

Thanks to Jonathan and others for taking the time, and interest, in this thread to question some specifics. It's certainly more than I do with other people's threads.

 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Fair enough, Jeff. I was writing about this turnout, though, but as you say, we'll leave it there. Onwards and upwards!

 

image.png.09e1103af2869360a431c6d013088bc3.png

  • Friendly/supportive 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Fair enough, Jeff. I was writing about this turnout, though, but as you say, we'll leave it there. Onwards and upwards!

 

image.png.09e1103af2869360a431c6d013088bc3.png

 

I've sent you a PM.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Can I point out that I DO NOT want to engage in a further discussion about the intricacies of point-rodding.

 

I am no expert in these matters, and defer to my rodding guru John Wardle (aka Old Gringo), who drew up the plan for me when I fitted rodding onto KL2 in September 2017. I'm quite happy with what he suggested and it looks prototypical, so that's good enough for me.

 

No offence to anybody, but there are PLENTY of other GH-related matters, on which I'm qualified to comment, that simply aren't being discussed on here. Hence my earlier comments about whether I should continue to post pictures that attract no comment.

 

Thanks to Jonathan and others for taking the time, and interest, in this thread to question some specifics. It's certainly more than I do with other people's threads.

 

Jeff

 

I can only speak from my own viewpoint, but I'm not qualified to comment on very much related to Gill Head (it's well out of my "area")!   Nevertheless I have a fondness for the S&C and an admiration for the work going into modelling a portion of it in such detail and realism.  So I'm happy to just "lurk and like" on this thread! 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of point-rodding (AAAARRRGGHH) I just wanted to say that, prototypically correct or not, it adds so much to the realism of the scene.  I've seen so many exhibition layouts without it that just look 'Meh' to quote my youngest. 

Back on the subject in hand, I lived in Leeds for 8 years and got out walking the dales nearly every weekend and the scenic work on Jeff's layouts has brought back many happy memories so I'm very grateful for the progress pics 'tho I may not comment on every tranche. 

 

Graeme

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm very happy for people to use the thread in whatever way they feel gives them the most enjoyment or satisfaction. Many "lurkers" (I think it's quite an affectionate term!) may like the pics and not want to commit to comment. Or maybe couldn't care less how it's done, as long as it looks ok etc. Whatever, that's entirely for you guys to decide.

 

There's also the time element - using a "like" expresses a viewpoint without repeating someone else's comment, and saves the need to spend minutes writing a couple of sentences.

 

I very much appreciate ANY input on here. It helps to keep me on the straight and narrow! Some areas, though - point rodding being one - can end up in a long ramble, hence my comment.

 

Please continue to use what's here as you all see fit.

 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jacko said:

On the topic of point-rodding (AAAARRRGGHH) I just wanted to say that, prototypically correct or not, it adds so much to the realism of the scene.  I've seen so many exhibition layouts without it that just look 'Meh' to quote my youngest. 

Back on the subject in hand, I lived in Leeds for 8 years and got out walking the dales nearly every weekend and the scenic work on Jeff's layouts has brought back many happy memories so I'm very grateful for the progress pics 'tho I may not comment on every tranche. 

 

Graeme

 

I lived in Leeds for 3 years, a long while ago - went back for a visit in 2017. Wow, the place has changed. Always have a fondness for the area.

 

I'd also add signalling as something that makes a difference. Now THERE is a black art! Transparent to the cogniscenti. Clear as mud to most of us.

 

Bit like Physics, eh?

 

I'll build a couple of signals at a later stage.....I'm sure that'll cause some discussion!

 

J.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I always feel a bit tentative on commenting on your thread Jeff, unless I have something constructive or useful to say. I really don't like adding another "That's wonderful" comment, as it just fills up the thread with little point. However, I'm also aware that on my own thread, if I post something, and get loads of likes, but nobody actually comments, it can feel a bit lonely... :O It's a delicate balance, and not one I always get right.

 

Al

  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...