Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Exactly the detail I wish I'd had years ago when I built my Ratio kit. My 'cream' came out more yellow.  When I dig it out of storage I'll be referencing this post for a repaint. I may also post a photo on here just to show how bad my model making skills were :)

On interiors, I used the Springside white metal kit. No idea how accurate it is for Midland boxes but through the windows it all looks the part and it more than doubles the weight of the ratio kit. 

Graeme.

The Railmatch was an easy choice. The "cream" was a matter of looking around to see what I had. Fortunately, I've a decent stock of fairly "neutral" emulsions from previous jobs in the house and that Dulux colour looked pretty close.

It's not "exact", but from a distance it gives the right impression.

J.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I think that may be because it's (relatively) recently been restored, and maybe it gets a bit more TLC than your average box.

Or maybe it's because there's not a great deal of traffic at its location?

I'll have to weather my box, in keeping with the goods yard, methinks.

J.

PLUS, Your running Smokey things and from an age when the out side of the Box would NOT have been cleaned that often.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the positive comments.

It takes a lot of time to build structures for a layout, but I wouldn't like to do it any other way. It doesn't make for exciting viewing on this thread - you may have weeks to wait for the next "completion". Whatever it is. Probably the station building. 

I suppose (trying to produce) quality takes time, so there you are.

If I have one person to thank for weaning me of the "quick fix" mentality it's Jason, and I hope he'll resume some modelling in the near future.

Keep tuning in! 

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

which one is the model? ;)

That's exactly what I thought viewing the pics on my phone! I thought he never mentioned the barrow crossing which made the penny drop that perhaps it might not be a model. Durr!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

which one is the model? ;)

17 hours ago, Brian D said:

That's exactly what I thought viewing the pics on my phone! I thought he never mentioned the barrow crossing which made the penny drop that perhaps it might not be a model. Durr!! 

Haha....it was only a "kit" - a very good one, mind, though by the time I'd finished with it it had a fair number of "Jeff modifications".

I've spoken to Julie at York Modelmaking about the finial, gutter and stove pipe issues - though I must emphasise these are NOT a big deal. I mean, c'mon, the kit is superb so adding a few touches of your own isn't a problem. The finials are an issue they can't address (and at around £2 for 5 from Wizard Models, who cares?) Julie asked me about the pipe and gutter though (just Plastruct), so maybe they'll be added-in into future kits.

I don't have shares in the company (!!), and I'd like my purchases to be as cheap as possible, but this is a quality product, so pleased to come across it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been in the Bunker and intended to do some work on the station building I started in 2018 (see KL2 thread, around page 210). However, I think I've used-up my "scratchbuild mojo" for the minute, so a few other jobs have been done.

My old friend, the DAS walling will re-surface later this week when I build a bit more embankment on the operating well side of the goods yard. I'll post some pics when something's been done. 

The box has been sat in its home location - some gravel will need to be added, but it's quite happy there for the moment, as is. It DOES look FAR too clean, so that's something else to be sorted. A couple of pics below.

Jeff

20211102_152244.jpg.d537b36d944743501b4fcd281a8a13cd.jpg

20211102_152320.jpg.fbabcee50c5f52286d8796615cb754a6.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Grammar
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I like photos like that. With no trains it says Midland.

Evening Jonathan.

Glad you like the pics. The signal box colour and track layout - especially the turnout/slip combination - does tend to mark it as "Midland". I also love looking along a stretch of line with the perspective kicking in. 

A whole set of different-type pics, in keeping with what I'm seeing being chucked out on a lot of threads on this forum, will mark the start of the Ais Gill plank thread, when that starts. No building or effort required whatsoever, aside from pressing the button on the camera. The response should be interesting.

Coming to an S&C thread near you in a month or so.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a few pics showing nothing specific, though the start of the embankment adjacent to the lie-by (at right) is evident.

Plaster and walling for the next few days. By next week I may be in the mood to play with the station building.

2140588657_20211104_153745cr.jpg.28b14d3877fa2c1cac5ae94bd6f9eb92.jpg

2077848813_20211104_153923cr.jpg.c7934a3ff8dd7120b967f67f7a6f8275.jpg

1181435097_20211104_153939cr.jpg.fcd75340f0c9b42e026c98bdd485dfd2.jpg

529709709_20211104_153957crrs.jpg.209b280d6ea7422b4919c13de89080e4.jpg

1700684652_20211104_154019cr.jpg.84aa97dc04481720d4127410ea6f2f20.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Long time since I've been plastered, in the "pleasant" sense....

Just had another 5kg of the powder stuff delivered today.

Now, how about a FELL on the side of the "shunting plank"?!!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Looking at your latest pics makes me jealous of the space you have available!

The second one with your lovely signal box in the middle distance is very atmospheric even accounting for the snow stage left.

D

I'll endeavour to take a similar pic in about a week's time when the "snow" may have melted.

Hopefully, by then, I'll have the new sections of embankment (about 120cm long) covered in grass with a wall on top. I'll also try to remove the yellow "glue pots", visible in the distance, that slightly impair the view!

I've got a little plastered today, but feel none the worse for it...

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Interesting to see your completed signalbox, Jeff. Just wondering why there is a walkway (with handrails) at the rear of the 'box? Don't recall ever seeing that feature before. Regards, as ever.

Hi Peter.

You make an interesting point and I'm surprised I hadn't spotted that as I've studied so many photos of Midland 'boxes that it should have been obvious.

I don't think it detracts from the model, but I may ask Julie at YM on which prototype their kit is based.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Peter.

You make an interesting point and I'm surprised I hadn't spotted that as I've studied so many photos of Midland 'boxes that it should have been obvious.

I don't think it detracts from the model, but I may ask Julie at YM on which prototype their kit is based.

Mine didn't come with enough staging, handrails etc to go round the back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Interesting to see your completed signalbox, Jeff. Just wondering why there is a walkway (with handrails) at the rear of the 'box? Don't recall ever seeing that feature before. Regards, as ever.

10 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Peter.

I would imagine its modelled on a Box with Running Lines to the rear as well, but can't think where from. The Ratio one is modelled on the Swadlincote Junction Box that was preserved in Robert McAlpines Garden I believe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I would imagine its modelled on a Box with Running Lines to the rear as well, but can't think where from. The Ratio one is modelled on the Swadlincote Junction Box that was preserved in Robert McAlpines Garden I believe.

Yes Andy, I think that's probably the reason. Just odd that, given all the prototypes, they chose to add-in rear rails. I'll see what I can find out.

If course, if the rear rails were a problem, they can easily be removed. I won't do that for the moment.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 04/11/2021 at 17:02, Physicsman said:

Just had another 5kg of the powder stuff delivered today.

Wonderful work as ever Jeff but the above nugget along with the weight of part of a layout* I've acquired makes me wonder about the total weight of large layouts, especially those up in lofts that aren't designed for such use.

* Its weight is somewhere between "Oooff" and  "My oh my" but I reckon it works out about 5kg per square foot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1