DJH AM10 suitable?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Thanks to praise from Tony Wright, I am considering an alternate source of motordrive, is the DJH AM10 suitable for a ‘difficult’ application such as a whitemetal 4-4-0 without filling the cab with motor?

The model was designed for a forward facing XO4 driving the forward axle with most of the motor in the cab, therefore space should not be an issue but is there enough ‘grunt’? 

Currently in the queue for a High Level motordrive but DJH motordrives seem to be highly regarded.

Thank you

9BB632AE-806D-45D9-BCE1-AC65B0D2FFC4.jpeg.17f7e3fd7cfbb7e6ec131030f186b21e.jpeg

3 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Why not stick the X04 in the tender and drive the loco wheels through a UJ and drive shaft below the cab floor.  That way you can stuff the firebox with lead and make the loco pull actual trains

Absolutely, you can put a large high-torque motor in the tender driving both axles and make the coupling rods purely cosmetic. You won't regret it. It will outperform six-coupled locos with motors in the firebox.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The eventual choice was a RRC plus large coreless from High Level. The configuration driving the rear axle provides an empty cab with an opportunity to install a backhead and all the usual twiddly bits. Tractive effort isn't a problem with the BEC D15, its task is to trundle around with four Hornby Maunsells on Beaminster Road.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only just found this thread so I'm a bit late but another big vote of confidence for the DJH units - very quiet, powerful and slim. I've a few in the pile for upcoming builds and have been testing them, no problems so far... Not cheap, but quality gear never is :)

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Only just found this thread so I'm a bit late but another big vote of confidence for the DJH units - very quiet, powerful and slim. I've a few in the pile for upcoming builds and have been testing them, no problems so far... Not cheap, but quality gear never is :)

I was wondering about these. Good to see another "thumbs up".

Just got an unbuilt DJH Britannia complete with wheels but with no motor/gears. Looking around there isn't really a great variety of large motors anymore. Plenty of small ones but not much in the way of Mashima 16XX or bigger equivalents.

Also looking at the Canon motors that Wizard are selling. With the gearbox that's getting towards £50 anyway. So I might try one of those in something else.

Thankfully I don't normal build large locomotives, but it was a good price, so paying a bit more for a good motor is fine.

Jason

• Like 1