isopropyl alcohol as paint stripper

got about 6 coaches to strip back and have seen 99.9% isopropyl alcohol mentioned in various places as an alternative to often expensive brand model paint strippers. How we all using it? straight from the bottle or diluting to some degree? any thing to watch out for in regards to it effecting the plastic and where is best to source it

• RMweb Gold

I've not used IPA for this, but Oven Pride works exceptionally well and is highly recommended.  I seal the component in a plastic bag with an amount of Over Pride. You don't need much. Give it an hour or two, assisted with some external massage to work it into all the nooks and crannies and the paint just drops off. Then rinse well with water.

Edited by ikcdab
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I've not used IPA for this, but Oven Pride works exceptionally well and is highly recommended.  I seal the component in a plastic bag. Give it an hour or two, assisted with some external massage to work it into all the nooks and crannies and the paint just drops off. Then rinse well with water.

Mr. Muscle oven cleaner is much the same - a strong caustic foam with a  - to me - unpleasant, catch-in-the-throat odour.

Strips paint very efficiently, though!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Mr. Muscle oven cleaner is much the same - a strong caustic foam with a  - to me - unpleasant, catch-in-the-throat odour.

Strips paint very efficiently, though!

John Isherwood.

I agree with this,  which is why Oven Pride is better.  Its a liquid which gets sealed in a plastic bag, eliminating the odours.

1 minute ago, ikcdab said:

I agree with this,  which is why Oven Pride is better.  Its a liquid which gets sealed in a plastic bag, eliminating the odours.

I put the model in a plastic bag and spray Mr. Muscle into the bag.

It contains the smell and the paint comes off OK - but I still dislike using it.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Many chemicals and many ideas.

IPA - diluted slightly to the low 90s with a dash of water is my general go-to choice, but it will not touch Airfix Mk2's - that's a job for DOT4 brake fluid. 

Yet the DOT4 will destroy Bachmann coaches.

IMO from practical experience - not every chemical works with every paint finish and/or plastic - unless it's expensive chemicals!

https://www.google.com/search?ei=HIZ7X4e6NITD8gKKgbroBQ&q=paint+stripper+rmweb&oq=paint+stripper+rmweb&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA1Cj-wJYo_sCYISCA2gAcAB4AIABRIgBgwGSAQEymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiHuJeZqZ7sAhWEoVwKHYqADl0Q4dUDCA0&uact=5

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, russ p said:

I used to strip Lima diesel's in brake fluid used to take them back to yellow bodyshells not sure what its like with modern models

Lima paint came off in seconds with nothing more exotic than methylated spirits.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

got about 6 coaches to strip back and have seen 99.9% isopropyl alcohol mentioned in various places as an alternative to often expensive brand model paint strippers. How we all using it? straight from the bottle or diluting to some degree? any thing to watch out for in regards to it effecting the plastic and where is best to source it

Straight from the bottle but into a sealable container because you don't really want it to evaporate. It will do that at an alarming rate. You will probably need to have an old toothbrush handy to get into the awkward crooks and nannies. I have yet to have a problem with any of the plastics used by Bachmann, Heljan, Hornby or Dapol.

I get mine from Express Chems:

https://expresschems.co.uk/shop/chemicals/isopropyl/isopropyl-alcohol-99-9-pure/

Quick service, reasonable prices, no connection.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Removal of stray letters.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The best paint stripper depends on the paint and the material of the model. Alcohol will shift acrylics but won't touch enamel for example. Always ensure that the stripper does not damage the model itself.

Edited by Il Grifone