Why are there doors opening to the outside on the upper levels of this factory kit ?

On 08/10/2020 at 23:06, TheSignalEngineer said:

Goyt Mill at Marple has an interesting arrangement. The hoist on the left takes goods to and from the Macclesfield Canal to the road level or first floor. The one to the right is from road level to all floors above the ground level.

24494476311_c9496e7ed4_z.jpg

Old crane structure at Goyt Mill wharf by Dr Hilary Rhodes, on Flickr

This type of arrangement might have come about if one door/crane was used for inbound and the other for outbound goods, or given that it was a textile mill and thus likely powered by steam, perhaps the canal bought coal which you would want to keep away from cotton 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DGO said:

This type of arrangement might have come about if one door/crane was used for inbound and the other for outbound goods, or given that it was a textile mill and thus likely powered by steam, perhaps the canal bought coal which you would want to keep away from cotton 

In this case I think it was more to do with the layout of the site. The mill stood at road level above the canal. The boilers were at the end of the building away from the main part of the mill. The coal came by boat from pits in the Poynton area and North Staffs and was unloaded through archways at water level. The six boilers were fed by a steam crane. The layout of the site made it impractical to put a large hoist with access direct to the canal as there was a roadway between it and the mill.

• RMweb Premium

How about this?

https://goo.gl/maps/BSwwhTrcr2BySC9e7

AFAIK it is a complete fabrication as there never was an industrial building there before the flats were built:

It's Dicken's Heath Road, the whole village is a complete sham made to look "old", like Charlie Wales's Poundbury.

Here's the 1939 25" map of where the road crosses the canal (no buildings exist)

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115634047

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

AFAIK it is a complete fabrication as there never was an industrial building there before the flats were built:

Correct, my wife used to own one of the houses adjacent to that building. It was put up c2000. There used to be an access to the canal on that site and the farm over the road was known as Wharf farm, but I only know of the Three Maypoles Wharf  which was at Tythe Barn Lane, the next bridge towards Birmingham. That was occupied by a coal merchant until the building of the new houses started IIRC.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Correct, my wife used to own one of the houses adjacent to that building. It was put up c2000. There used to be an access to the canal on that site and the farm over the road was known as Wharf farm, but I only know of the Three Maypoles Wharf  which was at Tythe Barn Lane, the next bridge towards Birmingham. That was occupied by a coal merchant until the building of the new houses started IIRC.

Tythe Barn Lane bridge was closed to traffic years ago when a new route through the estate was created.

:offtopic:

There used to be a pub called The Three Maypoles at the Shirley end of Dickens Heath Road, it's now the Miller & Carter.

I knew an architect (no longer with us) who said he would rather stick pins in his eyes than go through Dicken's Heath, which he thought was an architectural abomination.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I knew an architect (no longer with us) who said he would rather stick pins in his eyes than go through Dicken's Heath, which he thought was an architectural abomination.

The less said about how Dicken's Heath got through Planning Approval the better.

• RMweb Gold

A building needn't be tall to have one of these. Here they are called lucarnes, and a close relative, it seems is chien assis (sitting dog).

IMG_4180.jpeg.a8de0dcb3f43502f5ebc17563e60829d.jpeg

My model railway is behind the door near the middle of this 1850-ish barn.

These chiens assis, by contrast, were installed Chez Moi in 2006.

IMG_4181.jpeg.52c33b555bcdba02c6ba5b892a8fdd46.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/10/2020 at 02:33, brian777999 said:

Why are there doors on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels of this factory kit ?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34885/metcalfe_po282_brick_built_warehouse_card_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Victorian factories made full use of that zero cost energy source: gravity. Raw materials would be hauled to the top floor and finished products left at the ground floor. Because they were tied to rail or canal side locations prime land was expensive and multistorey buildings more cost effective. Modern elevators are a more recent development and the external winch was well established by the start of the nineteenth century. As already noted this was simply a development of the medieval hay loft. Not sure if it is just a northern thing, but most of the shops built by cooperative societies used this system to access their upstairs store room.

• Informative/Useful 1