Backscene for O Gauge

feanor

Would an OO Gauge backscene be suitabe on an O gauge Layout? I'm considering using those produced by ID backscenes, in particular the "Backscene Village" series. This consists of mainly rolling hill's and farmland with a village/buildings in the distance. Has anyone here used any of the ID backscene range for their layout?

I think the backscenes you mention are really not scale sensitive.  If you want to operate from behind the backscene, you probably need the 9" high version.  This depends on baseboard height.

My approach is similar and I have some 9" photographic backscenes that I bought when I was doing 00, ages ago.

I decided to temporarily mount the backscenes from 1/8" white painted MDF:

P1010077.JPG.de0645247b27f6d6aea2cb7555dbfc54.JPG

I decided to get ahead by doing the backscenes before laying any track.  I used spray paint for now with the intention to glue the prints on later.

The scalloped tops are based on a tip from a friend.  The idea is to break up the hard straight top edge.

The backscene boards are attached by cabinet magnets on 1" x 2" verticals:

P1010079.JPG.757c55fbd5ca4a493ec036d67d0aabed.JPG

HTH

You can see more on my layout in the link below.

John

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I've recently used a 15" self adhesive ID backscene on Swindelton. I mounted it on foamex board and managed to do this with no air bubbles! I would be operating from the front so reaching over is not an issue.

The only issue I have is that it developed creases where my backscene has a curve in it. I will hopefully hide some of the creases with carefully placed trees, or worst case scenario replace it! Otherwise I think it looks quite effective with the embankment and fence in front of it. 

20201004_213807.jpg.d11fda8032a45cf3e61ee4672fa54b05.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I’ve used ID self adhesive backscenes on HG. They will print them to what size you want, mine are quite large but the price was excellent, and made an enormous difference, especially as the backscene is slightly fuzzy resulting in a distance effect keeping the actual layout itself as sharp focus drawing the eyes in and easing the backscene from the view if you follow

• Agree 1

Thanks for the advise gentlemen. Looks like the OO gauge ID backscenes will be suitabe for the layout. I will be operating it from the front so the 15" high ones are the ones I will be using, this will give a decent amount of clearance above the buildings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1