Building A Modular Branch Line - 00 Gauge

55 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The rocks look very effective, and the colouring is spot on. Nice work.

Al.

Thank you. They've continued drying this evening and are now a bit paler than they were in the pictures... presumably as the plaster absorbs more of the paint. I'll plough on with the static grass tomorrow as planned but I can always touch up the rocks with a tiny dabs of watered down black/grey here and there if it really continues to bother me.

• Like 1

Lots more progress today! This morning I had a go at the road surface across the bridge - it's not come out amazing but it'll do for now. Funnily enough it actually looks better in the photos than it does in reality (usually it's the other way round!) but I imagine I'll end up going over it in the future to get something slightly smoother.

I also added a dirt verge alongside the road and the track too just to blend it into the grass a bit better as that was something I wasn't quite happy with on my first module. There's also a dirt patch where my two buildings stand with a little path leading down from the road - this will be getting a gate in the future.

Then it was on to the static grass! I was looking forward to this as it always seems to transform the layout and I wasn't disappointed. Several shades have gone down and it all dried fairly quickly so I was even able to attach some basic bushes and foliage around the bridge before I called it a day.

All said and done, here's the result of today's adventures...

258527856_ScreenShot2020-11-20at19_32_35.png.dc3b8a81b6b8d9c3d19ff0e2a4174ad6.png

945581122_ScreenShot2020-11-20at20_00_39.png.2c40f0514c1d9ffe0de32e40570c5555.png

47160016_ScreenShot2020-11-20at19_32_46.png.0773df02792c09cfde687cd19263edfa.png

1737346827_ScreenShot2020-11-20at19_33_11.png.fee7a08b108026cf365fb4fa699ee5ad.png

There's still lots more to be done (track weathering, fencing/walling, grass tufts, more bushes/trees/wildflowers, etc) but the big jobs are all complete and it's more about adding the details now to make it feel real. To finish off I couldn't resist connecting the two modules together and taking a nice wide shot - I think I've definitely captured the feeling I was aiming for of the railway running through the open landscape... just need to get a train on it now! :D 

1067869039_ScreenShot2020-11-20at19_32_55.png.01722f60807a9e5b120f89b806a6a897.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Just in case anyone's wondering - in the pictures on my previous post the modules were aligned but not bolted together, which is why the baseboard join looks very noticeable. It's much better when properly connected but I also want to do some work on the static grass at the edges of the modules to hopefully disguise the join even further.

• RMweb Gold

It's really looking very good indeed, you've made a cracking job of it.

I really like the road surface as well, looks spot on.

Al.

• Like 1

Thanks @Alister_G, sadly the road isn't anywhere near as smooth as it looks in the photos. I certainly wouldn't want to ride a bike down it! :lol:

I might try painting it to see if it makes it less noticeable before I take any drastic action but I'm not too worried considering there's still fencing/walling and bushes to go on either side of it. 

As I've mentioned before I'm also documenting the build of this layout over on my YouTube channel. I tried to film as much as I could while building the scenery up and have edited together a little video of my efforts so far. Here's the link to watch it if anyone prefers that to reading my rambling posts! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqnN3o_kVo

Edited by That Model Railway Guy
Corrected link.
On 04/11/2020 at 17:30, That Model Railway Guy said:

This might seem like I'm jumping the gun but I'm thinking about trees! Yes, I know it’s sounds a bit premature but because (when not in use) the individual modules will most likely be stored on top of each other in some way. Having trees sticking up would greatly increase the amount of space needed between each module. I realised I need to make the trees removable in some way so that I can fit more modules into a vertical space.

I’m using the Woodland Scenics armatures which come with a base that the main trunk clips into. From what I’ve seen most people discard the bases but I’ve embedded mine into the landscape (using a bit of left over modelling compound). Once painted brown to match the rest of the board, it leaves a nice hole that the finished tree can slot into when the module is in use and then be removed for safer storage when the module is put away.

1411303935_ScreenShot2020-11-04at17_22_14.png.dabc91776b505262bcf0f91892f0c2ba.png

548970642_ScreenShot2020-11-04at17_22_29.png.13e5bb76d77f6812ba8913d51ba4409b.png

As you can imagine I wanted to get this done now before I start putting down the static grass. The eagle eyed among you may also be able to see in the background of the first picture I’ve started work on the ballasting too!

Finally I decided to make some trees. I didn’t have to do this now but I’d already opened the Woodland Scenics armature pack to get the bases out so I figured I’d give it a go for a bit of fun. It made deciding the location of the trees a bit easier too. These were my first attempts and I’m pleased with how they’ve come out considering I’ve never made one before.

1814486283_ScreenShot2020-11-04at17_22_41.png.e156d796738cfa1c45ff320d1a9ae8cf.png

Borrow a trick from the masters of modular layouts, FREMO. What they often do is have modules in pairs, with one upside down over the other, if you line it up right, you have trees on one module in a position so they don't clash with trees from the other module, This means that your total height for 2 modules is equal to the height of 2 modules, plus the height of the tallest tree plus a little bit of wiggle room (say 10mm). For my modules they are 100mm thick, the trees are about 180mm in height, and that means I fit two modules in a 400mm vertical space. A lot easier than making trees removable. 

J

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
10 minutes ago, Julia said:

Borrow a trick from the masters of modular layouts, FREMO. What they often do is have modules in pairs, with one upside down over the other, if you line it up right, you have trees on one module in a position so they don't clash with trees from the other module, This means that your total height for 2 modules is equal to the height of 2 modules, plus the height of the tallest tree plus a little bit of wiggle room (say 10mm). For my modules they are 100mm thick, the trees are about 180mm in height, and that means I fit two modules in a 400mm vertical space. A lot easier than making trees removable. 

J

Ooh interesting idea. I don't think it would work for me with these particular modules as the trees are generally on the higher ground but it's good to know in case it's useful for future modules. In this instance though height is very much at a premium when it comes to storing these and so it's ended up saving me a lot more space by having the trees be completely removable.