Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

In the news today .... well, in the Law Society Gazette:

"A misunderstanding of drill music as an incitement to violence is contributing to the over-representation of minority ethnic youths in the criminal justice system, a law reform think-tank says today."

This is from the long-overdue report on the response of the criminal justice system to the Jacobite rebellion of 1745.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 12

On 15/02/2021 at 04:51, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I know I shouldn't laugh but the moment our state government announced the snap 5 day shut down the supermarkets were stripped of toilet paper. It seems to be a genetic feature of human beings. Personally I stocked up on beer, but that's a daily occurrence and isn't COVID related. :D  

Whereas I have been doing my very considerable best to tip the scales your way in the China trade war via my dedicated support of the South East Australian wine industry.

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In the news today .... well, in the Law Society Gazette:

"A misunderstanding of drill music as an incitement to violence is contributing to the over-representation of minority ethnic youths in the criminal justice system, a law reform think-tank says today."

82-band.jpg.58b6c95d7bfad12ab266aef9e7d8e40d.jpg

I've obviously been misunderstanding drill music for years. 

I reckon you might have picked the wrong bunch of soldiers for your picture there.

I think you'll find the ones causing the issues are in  the Sherwood Foresters (The Robin Hoodies)  Battalion.

I can have 50 people over at my house after midnight tonight. I don't even know 50 people. Way to make me feel like a loser, NSW government.

And I can now do white guy dancing to Nutbush City Limits and The Macerina  at weddings once again.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Is it a requirement that all leaders of Scotland are named after BR engineers' wagons?

And, could that lead to a nation led by a mermaid?

Some wagons can sound and smell distinctly fishy.

2671_01.jpg

Edited by rocor
missing word
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I've noticed that aquatic birds have crept into the engineers' wagon fleets recently, the Heron, for instance, is a "modified Turbot" (many aeons of evolution, I should think), and there are quite a few shellfish.

Perhaps the Scots are a nation of Sealions, led by Dogfish.

And, what is a Loriot?

PS: The dictionary says "another name for the Golden Oriole", which isn't even an aquatic bird, its just a bird, so must be some ancient code from among the Macaws and Parrots.

PPS: Yes, its a GWR version of a Lowmac, presumably transferred to engineers' use with its traffic name still intact.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We had a bloke called Peter Costello who was treasurer under PM john Howard. He never had the bottle to challenge Howard for the leadership but stuck around for years hoping Howard would just hand it to him. Which never happened so he ended up leaving.

Which is a bit of a pity since if he'd stayed treasurer when Tony Abbott took Howard's job we could have truly said our country was run by Abbott and Costello.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

On 26/02/2021 at 12:12, Nearholmer said:

Is it a requirement that all leaders of Scotland are named after BR engineers' wagons?

And, could that lead to a nation led by a mermaid?

Or an old Trout?

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This amused me ....

Brilliant!

I took soon for a day out to Manchester, and on the basis of that one visit he decided he wanted to go to uni there when the time comes, because people were so randomly friendly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Brilliant!

I took soon for a day out to Manchester, and on the basis of that one visit he decided he wanted to go to uni there when the time comes, because people were so randomly friendly. 

Which one?

Proper Manchester Uni

UMIST

or

Whatever they're calling the old Poly at the moment....

Did you tell him about the rain?

There was a reason for the old Manchester bands to wander about in shapeless grey overcoats!

• Like 1

I would like him to go to UMIST, because he is a bit of a superstar maths-wise, and they teach subjects, and in a way, that would capitalise on that, but he needs to pull forward a bit in a couple of other subjects too ........ anyway, a few years yet.

The rain: I used to attend a couple of careers fairs there each year, looking for recruits to our grad training scheme, and every single time I went, there was a torrential downpour as I walked from the station, and a torrential downpour as I walked back. And, I mean torrential. I'm sure they retain granite setts in some streets to avoid any soft southern materials like tarmac being eroded-away by the force of the falling rain.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I would like him to go to UMIST, because he is a bit of a superstar maths-wise, and they teach subjects, and in a way, that would capitalise on that, but he needs to pull forward a bit in a couple of other subjects too ........ anyway, a few years yet.

The rain: I used to attend a couple of careers fairs there each year, looking for recruits to our grad training scheme, and every single time I went, there was a torrential downpour as I walked from the station, and a torrential downpour as I walked back. And, I mean torrential. I'm sure they retain granite setts in some streets to avoid any soft southern materials like tarmac being eroded-away by the force of the falling rain.

I worked in Manchester for five years. I'm trying to recall it in bright, dry conditions.

I can't.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Which one?

Proper Manchester Uni

UMIST

or

Whatever they're calling the old Poly at the moment....

12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

We (the students who were temporary summer workers at UCCA in the 1980s) used to have such fun mangling the four or five letter university codes: MANC was obvious, UMIST became 'You Missed' and LBRO (Loughborough) was 'Lowbrow'.

• Like 1