Articulation

cheesysmith

I was thinking after looking at the quad arts piece in the Hornby mag about articulation. How were the LNER coaches articulated? To my limited mind there is more than one way to do it.

You can have a pivot fitted outside the coach and both coaches mounted onto this on the centre of the bogie.

You can have a beam mounted onto the bogie centre point and the coaches pivot off this (APT-E)

You can have each coach pivoted separately off the bogie (APT-P)

You can have one coach mounted onto the bogie with the second coach articulated off of the other coach (TGV)

So which did the LNER use, want is there any I forgot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Someone in their workbench thread was making quad-arts or similar and posted pics and a drawing of the pivot etc. (i.e. The real thing)

Unfortunately I can't remember whose thread it was, but it was probably in the Kitbuilding section.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

There's a photo in this article on the restoration of the quadarts for the NNR which shows the arrangement on one carriage quite clearly.

Some  good pictures on there especially of Wymondham,  the set isn't at the back its actually leading the move . 

Railbuses don't like a trailing load like that!

The picture of it stored on the branch is interesting as there appears to be a GC barnum or something with it

Finally the picture of it being hauled by the 350 shown my late dear friend Tony lambert driving,  sorry to go off topic.

I remember helping when it went away and we had a hell of a job splitting it can't remember how it was done eventually 

We were there the day it was loaded up... end of Feb 2003?   My eldest had just been christened and we took some of the family to the seaside.   Then we got stuck behind one of the artics for most of the journey home.   Couldn't get near enough for any detailed photos though.

The 'Barnum' is one of the GE 50' vehicles.  It would be nice to see that restored to the same standard.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

We were there the day it was loaded up... end of Feb 2003?   My eldest had just been christened and we took some of the family to the seaside.   Then we got stuck behind one of the artics for most of the journey home.   Couldn't get near enough for any detailed photos though.

The 'Barnum' is one of the GE 50' vehicles.  It would be nice to see that restored to the same standard.

Wow so not only do they have one of the 6-a-side suuburbans but a 50ft survives as well? How did I not know that? Agreed, it would be amazing to see that restored.

• RMweb Premium

Not the thread i was thinking of but may be useful:

EDIT: found the one i meant - it wasn't about the bogies though, it was the corridor connections 

Edited by keefer

If you can get hold of a copy, Michael Harris' "LNER Carriages" (page 18) has a drawing and photo of the articulated coupling arrangement, which consists of a steel casting riveted to each headstock, one of which has a cup into which a dome-shaped bracket on the other casting fits. The bogie pivot goes through the centre of both the cup and bracket, creating a single axis around which the bogie can rotate and the coach bodies can bend relative to each other.

I normally use a similar single-pivot arrangement on 4mm artic stock, with separate brass plates attached to each coach underframe, overlapping above the bogie centre, and secured with a bolt passed through the bogie pivot onto a nut fixed to the uppermost plate. This works pretty well, although it does need fine adjustment to get the plates and bogie aligned and the underframes level - any dip relative to the outer bogies is very noticeable. I've also tried a single plate, fixed to one underframe and bolted to the other so that it can turn, with a normal bolster attached underneath onto which the bogie pivots. While this arrangement is easier to align, it's less able to cope with sharper curves.

Edited by 602Squadron
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Sorry to butt in, I am about to order an set of 3D coaches to build an articulated pair of exSECR railmotor coaches in 4mm. I doubt if the practical application of articulation is different therefore any advice on the aspects of articulation would be most welcome. Pictures of the arrangements would be even better.

Thank you