Maintenance of Class 03 Shunters at Scarborough

EddieK

From various photographs seen on the Interweb, I am aware that Scarborough Station utilised Class 03 shunters to release the locos of arriving trains, etc. 

My question is: where were these 03s maintained? Obviously they could be fuelled and oiled on site, but what happened when more involved maintenance was due?

• Like 1

03s had a few duties around the country like this. In the north-east, there was one out-stationed at Tweedmouth, which would work back to Gateshead once a week or so. They could manage a maximum speed of about 25 mph, so could 'loop-hop'.  At one time, Landore had duties for an 03 at Whitland and Fishguard; the latter would be about the same distance as Tweedmouth.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, keefer said:

I have a couple of pics somewhere of 03073 at Scarborough. It was either 1983 or '85

The very same loco soaking up the sun in August 1983. It was a York engine at the time. Excuse the photo - I hadn't graduated to 35mm yet. Mind you the old Kodak Instamatic gave everything a lovely fuzzy warmth (when there was enough light....)

IMG_20201023_0001.jpg.9b74b7243a09e232bf895f1d74ac8dcf.jpg

• Like 17

22 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Overnight trip back to York or Botanical Gardens Hull. About 2 hrs each way I suppose? 

Scarborough came under York District and always had York shunters , can't recall seeing a fuelling point there unless it was in the Gallows Close goods yard complex.

• RMweb Premium

Actually there was an 08 when I was there (same time as the 03)

Might have been 08827?

Must try and find the pics, a few shots on the family 126 Instamatic while on holiday.

It might have been typical ER traction there but it was exotic to me!  Cl.03, 31, 46 with cl.108 & 110 DMUs

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

08171 was often at Scarborough too. 

19 hours ago, waggy said:

Scarborough came under York District and always had York shunters , can't recall seeing a fuelling point there unless it was in the Gallows Close goods yard complex.

I did find a photo of an 03 in the middle 1970s which seemed to be BG allocated, but may be it was on loan to York.

4 hours ago, stovepipe said:

08171 was often at Scarborough too. 

I did find a photo of an 03 in the middle 1970s which seemed to be BG allocated, but may be it was on loan to York.

I lived near Scarborough until work took me away in 1976 i have some spotting notes from the early 70's will try and dig them out .

Think the 08's arrived after i had moved away.

• RMweb Premium

Just remembered this YouTube video which was taken the week after i had been there in 1983 (i was also there in 1985).

Lo and behold, what's the first loco shown, but 03073!

Went there from Edinburgh (former 'sub' platform) on a Glasgow-Scarborough train of mk1 stock (reversal at York), like the one shown. I can't remember what hauled us but could've been a 40. 

EDIT: cl.08 in use too - i suppose it would be quite busy with holiday trains as well as normal services. And note you don't always have to shunt stock with the loco on the front!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

A parallel question on Facebook has established that the usual move was to send the 03 to/from York. In conclusion, I probably won't have an 03 on my layout based on the Hull - Scarborough line....