Bachmann Class 70 Running In or Possible Issues?

classy52

15 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes exactly what I will be doing in regards to Bachmann products but personally I think product warranties should be transferable within the specified warranty period especially with model railway products as they constantly change hands at least 1 step from the original retail purchase.

Although in fairness "new" on eBay can mean "bought 5 years ago and has been sat on the shelf since", so it wouldn't always be easy to tell if there would be any warranty anyway. I am sure they had an "as new" condition in the past which meant in the same condition "as new" but without any warranty etc.

Whilst I always run stuff I buy, when I sell it I always list as used as that is what it is, regardless of whether it is in near perfect condition.

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Although in fairness "new" on eBay can mean "bought 5 years ago and has been sat on the shelf since", so it wouldn't always be easy to tell if there would be any warranty anyway. I am sure they had an "as new" condition in the past which meant in the same condition "as new" but without any warranty etc.

Whilst I always run stuff I buy, when I sell it I always list as used as that is what it is, regardless of whether it is in near perfect condition.

Yes but I did say if its still within the product warranty period of the manufacturer but should have included that you must have the original purchase receipt provided to you by the seller (which I do for my FL 70) if it wasn't a direct retailer purchase by you. 

I think that is fair too be honest if you have the original receipt which proves the product is still within warranty even though it has changed hands during that period but to put the shutters up because you didn't buy direct from a retailer is a bit off IMO.

I will check all the other manufacturers product warranty conditions because I'm curious whether they all stipulate the same thing?

• Like 1

Ok both 70's packed & dispatched to Barwell for service/repair, decided to get the FL 70 repaired and I'll wear the costs but the Colas 70 will be done under warranty.

Luckily I only paid £113 for the FL 70 that has completely failed and will only cost £48 to repair which includes the service charge & motor replacement (if it is the motor) thus why I decided to get Bachmann to do it which isn't too bad.

Finally, like to give a shout out to the Bachmann Service Department/Service Manager for their top communication & service and really good to deal with answering questions and providing guidance.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got both Class 70's back from Bachmann the other day and run in on a rolling road, both had motor replacements and now running like new and faultless.

Again, great service from Bachmann in the short time it took them to do the work on 2 loco's and the price which included the return postage...very pleased.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/11/2020 at 17:52, classy52 said:

"This Warranty is only available to the original retail purchaser of this product and is non-transferable"...directly from their Product Warranty page https://service.Bachmann.co.uk/warranty-information/ and I also had this confirmed by the Bachmann Service Manager hence they won't look at it under warranty even with the original receipt supplied and it being within 12 month warranty period.

I know this is a few months old but bumped into this looking at something else.

It's difficult as the Purchaser may have done something to it, which means potentially harder work for Bachmann with a "tampered" product.

BUT saying that, it depends on your moral compass compared with Bachmanns in this area.  If you have the purchase receipt, how can Bachmann prove you are not the original purchaser unless you divulge that information to them?

If you're paying Bachmann prices, I'd expect an honour on the warranty from the original purchase date (which in itself can be hard to find).

Not sure how this works with cars, such as Kia's 100,000 / 7 year warranty or even household appliances.

But then some companies seem to not want to honour warranty claims regardless.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Stevelewis said:

As  an Extensive  E bay  customer  myself  I would point  out  that Buyers ( and sellers)  are  well covered  by  Ebay's  guarantee in the  event  of faulty items  ( I speak from experience)

I think ebays warranty is better than any retailers/manufacturers warranty.

one click, its returned, your refunded and postage.

if the seller squeals, wait a few day press the help button and your immediately refunded, often getting to keep the item for free.

unscrupulous buyers often buy something swap it for something else broken and return the defective one.. still gets a full refund, or wait for a squealing retailer, press help and still get an immediate refund.

It applies to new, old, or sold as seen, eBays gold plated returns policy overrides anything retailers / manufacturers offer.

Key thing is just follow the rules, use paypal, request a return make sure you do using a retailers label, keep it inside ebay messaging so theres a record. Dont bother with haggling, just send it back.

Edited by adb968008

On 26/02/2021 at 17:27, adb968008 said:

I think ebays warranty is better than any retailers/manufacturers warranty.

one click, its returned, your refunded and postage.

if the seller squeals, wait a few day press the help button and your immediately refunded, often getting to keep the item for free.

unscrupulous buyers often buy something swap it for something else broken and return the defective one.. still gets a full refund, or wait for a squealing retailer, press help and still get an immediate refund.

It applies to new, old, or sold as seen, eBays gold plated returns policy overrides anything retailers / manufacturers offer.

Key thing is just follow the rules, use paypal, request a return make sure you do using a retailers label, keep it inside ebay messaging so theres a record. Dont bother with haggling, just send it back.

Yes   agreed  I have  made a few  claims  for  faulty , damaged  or 'badly described' items  ALL accepted, including   postage  refund for  the  returns  and  not  all were  small amounts of £££££S either!!:o