Bachmann class 108

Blackeunos

Hi All

hopefully someone may be kind enough to give some guidance. Just converting to dcc motor car fine, trailing is where I have issues, without a chip the lights work fine no change with direction but that’s expected. When I add a chip no lights, I have tried 2 different chips a Hornby one and Laisdcc both the same results. Double checked dcc Id The gap between the brass/ copper uprights is very tight fit for the chip.

hopefully someone may have an answer.

With my 108 i had to reverse the direction of one of the decoders using CV29 in one of the decoders to get the lights working properly.

To do this i had to program both chips to the same address and reverse the direction in the power car as the dummy couldnt seem to program the chip

Thank you for the replies yes the chip is the correct way around double if not triple checked. The power car lights wrk fine it is purely the dummy car that won’t work with the decoder. Will cv29 work with any decoders  and how do you reverse it or are you talking about a specific maker?

thanks

It may not be programming because there is no motor.  Most controllers look for an acknowledgement (ack) pulse being returned from the decoder before they will program the decoder.  The ack pulse is generated by the motor*.  No motor, usually results in no programming.

There are various ways of getting around this, such as swapping decoders between powered and dummy cars for programming.

CV29 is a universal CV but slightly complicated to use as it controls a number of aspects of how the loco is controlled.  There is a very good online calculator available which makes it easy to use.  See http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

* I think that's correct.

Edited by smokebox
More words!
  • Agree 1

If it is a question of needing a motor attached in order to program the trailer car decoder, one way is to programme the power car and trailer together with the settings required for the trailer, then remove the trailer car from the track and reprogram the power car on its own with the settings it requires.  if the trailer just needs to be addressed, then programming CV1 with the two cars together should do it.

Harold.

• Agree 1

Well I am at a bit of a loss, programmed the chip in power car and then transferred to dummy car, still no lights, turned the chip around still no lights. Tried putting both cars on program track and checking but still no lights on dummy car. Still the lights work with the dummy chip, so I think that will have to do, all I can think that there must be an issue with the chassis wires etc.
thanks fo all the help

2 hours ago, Blackeunos said:

Well I am at a bit of a loss, programmed the chip in power car and then transferred to dummy car, still no lights, turned the chip around still no lights. Tried putting both cars on program track and checking but still no lights on dummy car. Still the lights work with the dummy chip, so I think that will have to do, all I can think that there must be an issue with the chassis wires etc.
thanks fo all the help

did you reverve the direction of one of the decoders using CV29  - so basically in one of the cars - the trailer in my case - forward is backwards and vice versa. So set CV29 to 3 on the decoder on the dummy car.

10 hours ago, meatloaf said:

did you reverve the direction of one of the decoders using CV29  - so basically in one of the cars - the trailer in my case - forward is backwards and vice versa. So set CV29 to 3 on the decoder on the dummy car.

You need to read CV29  before you set it’ otherwise you don’t know the current direction status.

if it is even then add 1 if it is odd then subtract 1