Problems with 5-BEL and DCC Concepts ZEN decoder

philg

Banging my head against a brick wall here, so would appreciate some suggestions

I have a DCC Concepts ZEN decoder in a Hornby 5-BEL. When I use the decoder with back EMF enabled, it runs fine BUT at around speed step 17 or 18 it lurches to a much faster speed - and no amount of fiddling with vstart or vmax stops it

So back EMF is off

BUT unless I use a speed table I can't seem to get vmax to control a reasonable top speed - it's usually at the scalded cat end of the scale!

When I try a speed table though, a level of 1 for the first speed step also seems to translate to maximum speed, so I have to start with a level of 2 for speed step 1. This is not a crawl though so the start will certainly be spilling champagne!!

And now I am out of ideas

Thanks for any thoughts. Has someone been here already??

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I bought a couple of DCC Concepts decoders a few years ago when they first came out. They did exactly the same so it seems the same poor BackEMF algorithms are still being used. Quickly replaced with Lenz decoders which are fine as are Zimo ones.

Some older TCS decoders exhibited the same trait.

Edited by RFS
Added "older" for clarity

Oh, and I did notice that there is a suppression capacitor across the motor terminals. Or rather, there WAS

Removing it seems to have made SOME differenc, but a value of 1 in the first speed step of the speed table still feels like 255!!

57 minutes ago, tender said:

Yep, I ditched the DCC Concepts decoder and fitted a Zimo, problem solved.

tbh this is an old ZEN so maybe things have got better

but I switched it out for  TCS DP5 and it's like night and day!

Thanks a TON for pointing out that my problem was likely to be THE decoder rather than what it was installed in. I'd kind of assumed that every decoder would at least get the basics right!

Over the years I've accumulated decoders from all sorts of places. I think now is the time to standardize

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, philg said:

Over the years I've accumulated decoders from all sorts of places. I think now is the time to standardize.

I got into that position a few years ago, and thought the then new range of DCC Concepts decoders was the answer having read all the hype. I had a number of TCS decoders that had the mid-speed jerk, and was dismayed that the DCC Concepts decoders did exactly the same. Seemed to have very similar firmware.  Tried Lenz Standard+ decoder and every loco I used it in was transformed. At the time (early 2016) these Lenz decoders could be bought for around £12.50 from a couple of big German box-shifters so I started a complete replacement program. I was astonished that all my old TCS, Bachmann and Hornby decoders sold on Ebay for a lot more than £12.50.

Latterly I've used some Zimo MX600R and MX638 decoders which also perform superbly. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BromsMods said:

Not any more........

OK - was referring to some older decoders. I had DP2X-UK decoders which exhibited the same characteristic but I accept it's now been fixed in later versions.

I've edited my original post to add the word "older". 

1 hour ago, DCCconcepts said:

Hi Phil,

What value is in CV7 of the errant decoder?

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

It's a direct 8-pin plug decoder (no harness) and in a blue shrink wrap. I suspect it's a tad old, but I only just got around to using it

CV7 is 034 (decimal)

17 hours ago, philg said:

It's a direct 8-pin plug decoder (no harness) and in a blue shrink wrap. I suspect it's a tad old, but I only just got around to using it

CV7 is 034 (decimal)

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the information.

CV7=34 is a relatively old decoder - we have upgraded the software since then.

We have sent you a PM.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

56 minutes ago, DCCconcepts said:

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the information.

CV7=34 is a relatively old decoder - we have upgraded the software since then.

We have sent you a PM.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

I guessed it’d been lying around for some time. A few years ago real life intruded on my modelling hours and I’m only just getting back to trains

• Like 1