Hammant and Morgan Commander controller

railroadbill

P1050065.JPG.18673994f2e293480a137014f21852c7.JPG

P1050066.JPG.014057b3aac6af09ed530fff6ff8b10d.JPG

I bought this H&M controller back in the 1970s.  It's had a lot of use, 16v AC in from an H&M Clipper controller and they provided the main DC control for the layout when in DC mode.  Recently, it just failed and provided 12 volts or so to the track completely uncontrolled. The  rectifier part of the circuitry must still function, but no longer any voltage control. 

I replaced the setup with a Gaugemaster model D twin controller (a design which has been around for quite some time anyway) which has a slight edge for slow running as it seems to start at a lower voltage as the control is turned. This has also freed up the Clipper for other use with sidings  etc.

I found I still had the box for it (but not receipt or instructions). It states "transistorised" so quite what has failed I don't know, but the case is of course riveted together. Drilling out the rivets to have a look inside I doubt will achieve much!

So I'll leave this as a curiosity, haven't seen a Commander mentioned here. It was still working over 40 years after I bought it (until recently) so not a bad piece of kit.

• Like 5

There was the 'Electran' as well wasn't there?

Then the simple resistance types Clipper and Duette and the variable transformers such as Powermaster. I've always assumed these transistorised ones were the top of the range but don't know for sure.

5 hours ago, Barclay said:

There was the 'Electran' as well wasn't there?

Then the simple resistance types Clipper and Duette and the variable transformers such as Powermaster. I've always assumed these transistorised ones were the top of the range but don't know for sure.

The H&M Clipper I've got is still working fine!

• Like 1

Yes looks like it was an early one. Perhaps they changed the name later.

I too, have a number of their products. In fact my whole layout runs on H&M. 2 Clippers supply 16v AC for the layout, one of which is my original from the early '70's. A Duette runs my workbench, one channel for the drill and the other for testing. There's also a Powermaster, which wasn't strictly necessary, but proved irresistible when I saw it, perfect and boxed, in my local model shop for £20 a few years ago.

image.png.67536e4c342e01ad24ba78ca1e48342a.png

• Like 2

The Electran seems to be a development of the Commander incorporating a delay (undoubtedly involving charging and discharging a capacitor) to give gentle acceleration and braking.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any description of the innards of either unit on the 'net.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2020 at 17:38, Silverfox17 said:

I have an Executive that has done exactly the same earlier this year and I believe they were a similar model with the Executive having its own transformer. 

Garry 

That's right. The Executive and the Commander were the same except that the Executive included a mains transformer. I used to have one of each but sold the Commander when I moved on to Mike Cole's Q-Drivers. I still use the Executive to power my test track and my mini drill.

527838584_2562268arrivingatPentowan7606.jpg.73c895bca88ca8ee0a7512b395444a5f.jpg

Here they are on an old layout, nearly 45 years ago. Commander on the left, Executive on the right.

Edited by St Enodoc
Photo added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

The Electran seems to be a development of the Commander incorporating a delay (undoubtedly involving charging and discharging a capacitor) to give gentle acceleration and braking.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any description of the innards of either unit on the 'net.

No, the Electran came before the Executive and Commander. Among other things, the "high line" case of the Electran gives it away. The Executive and Commander only appeared in the "low line" case.

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

No, the Electran came before the Executive and Commander. Among other things, the "high line" case of the Electran gives it away. The Executive and Commander only appeared in the "low line" case.

My mistake, I thought the 'high line' were earlier!  Obviously the 'development' becomes a simplification.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I'll have to do a bit more reasearch, but at the moment I have to go and look after some kittens. Life is hard!

David, I'm sure you're familiar with this site. If not, you'll lose more than a few minutes there:

https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/handm/index.html

Broadly, the earliest H&M design was an "angular high line" with the front panel lettering aluminium on black. Next came the "rounded high line" with the front panel lettering black on aluminium. After that came the "low line", again with the front panel lettering aluminium on black. Later still came plastic casings, such as for the HM3000 and HM5000.

I bought my Executive and Commander in about 1972/73.

• Informative/Useful 3

This little booklet is well worth keeping an eye out for although it might cost you a bit more than 20p

i picked this up along with several H&M Units when a local dealer closed, like many others my first controller was a Clipper purchased from Hattons. I currently run a DC60 with a Commander and a multipack DC Control Unit. Also stashed are at least 3 clippers a Safety Minor, Executive and a RC1, two meter units and a switch console.

Yes I know I need help.

Quoting from the H&M power control manual 6th edition

the POWERMASTER and Safety Minor are both Variable transformer units

the ELECTRAN and the EXECUTIVE are both Transistorised Power/Control Units

the CLIPPER and DUETTE are both Variable Resistance Units

the Powapack is a Transformer/Rectifier Unit

the COMMANDER is a Transistorised Controller 

the DC Control Unit  is a Variable resistance control unit

the model R.C.I Rectifier-Controller is a control unit the same as the previous DC unit but incorporating a built in Rectifier unit making it suitable for operating DC motors from 14-18 volts AC power sockets.

and finally the MULTI PACK DC POWER UNIT which is the heart of the multipack system and not forgetting these connectors which are worth keeping an eye out for to add the finishing touch.

A row of multipack units would have set you back a pretty penny back in the day but with time and patience they can be acquired quite cheaply today and if like me you are trapped in the past they go nicely with a vintage/classic looking layout.

C568083D-72E7-4E70-858E-53CCF73A4A10.jpeg

DF3EA94E-26B4-4193-B0F9-C811C7F53BBF.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
Info update
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1E37EBF9-A7BE-4FA0-BEB6-BABB8CC64C69.jpeg.81a43d73f4cba3b4da89919ccb0282c5.jpegAnd finally for comparisons sake with Barclay’s earlier post about the ELECTRAN here’s a picture from the 6th edition catalogue which shows the differing spec and later casing style which was reflected across the model railway transformer\controller range. 
The Victor, Minipack and Matchless power units and the Imp, Superglow, Alpha and Glo-Worm battery chargers had their own individual styling.

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 2

The 12-month guarantee will have expired by now, but I think you have had your money's worth out of that purchase!

Bassettbloke's photo above of the manual shows the patent number 1177775.  The best way to describe an electrical device is a circuit, so if you are looking to repair it, you could try looking that number up on the Patent Office website.  It's how I found the circuit diagram for a Southern Region magazine type Train Describer I wanted to wire up.  I see Electran was covered by the same patent.

Chances are that the component that failed isn't available any more, but you ought to be able to get a modern equivalent.   

1 hour ago, maico said:

Does the catalogue explain the reasoning for having both Variable transformer units and Variable Resistance models in the range?

Well that's quite easy - price! The variable transformer devices cost a lot more - but gave better control.

• Agree 1

015657D6-F1BD-4693-A344-5BFE474F7B35.jpeg.94a1762a0d6bd18b4715aa9bcb7a4d07.jpeg071A2E97-343B-4F8E-96C6-1B487A80F7AF.jpeg.d9cb04160635c9cca848d14711a9d0ee.jpegMaico

It does indeed, in the first chapter it explains the differing types on offer, being an electrical dunce I will copy the pages so you get the proper explanation.

From what I can gather it’s just a case of progression, Variable Resistance being first on the scene followed by Variable transformer and then Transistorised control. The first time I read through the explanations and differing types of wiring I definitely needed a lie down afterwards.

As you will see I’ve managed to post the two pages in reverse order, just a knack I’ve got I am afraid.

The important thing to remember is these articles were written nearly fifty years ago and time has moved on even if I haven’t.

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3