Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, phil-b259 said:

I am fully aware that these 4 / 6 wheel coaches are not in any way accurate representations of the prototype - but on the other hand I do not have the physical dexterity to build, let alone apply intricate lining to 'accurate' kits. Nor do I wish to join the "lets model BR 1950s / 1960s grot brigade" - my encounters with steam are of the beautifully presented locos and carriages at the Bluebell - and THAT is the look I want to replicate in model form.

That is not to say I wouldn't purchase 100% accurate LBSCR or SECR 4 wheeled stock - but equally I'm not going to sit there complaining when a 'near enough' product appears on the market that enables a 'representative' train to be put together.

Freelance 4/6 wheelers suitably lined will look perfect behind the ornately lined out locos (remember that in many cases the 4 wheelers that are preserved are authentic bodies mounted on ex big 4 / BR parcel van underframes anyway) and I suspect many others will think the same way.

Agreed.  If someone rattled out 100% accurate MR, LNWR or L&Y RTR coaches, I’d be there like a shot.  However, I’ll buy some of these and some of Hattons efforts because, for me, some are near enough.  The painting’s certainly far better that I’ll achieve.  As I’ve said elsewhere I’m modelling a fictional preserved line and fancy a rake in the style of the Stately Trains vehicles at Embsay and elsewhere (I’m also waiting for Chivers to rerelease the 6w LMS fish van, I’ve got plans for the chassis off one of those).  One thing I’ve really enjoyed on these two threads is the exchange of knowledge, I came to it as someone who knew next to nothing about pregrouping coaching stock (apart from a magpie-esque ‘Ooh, that’s nice..’) has now learned far more and I certainly know where to look for detailed information now.

Owain

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, friscopete said:

exactly

For starters, there should be either two footboards that would appear much as per on a brake van, or a single footboard in the location where you would normally see a footboard along the solebar. Hornby seem to have put a single footboard in a position that equates to the average of the two that should be there rather than mounting the single footboard at a height where a single footboard should be.

They look rather odd, even for a supposedly generic* vehicle.

*(Stroudley by basic design even though they've deviated from the finer detail, but who's paying attention to that anymore?).

• Agree 5
2 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Or, putting it another way, if a passenger was stepping between a compartment and a platform face, the Hornby footboard would be a deathtrap.

Maybe, just maybe, they were designed specifically to allow passengers to alight at Pelsall railway station. The Northbound platform had a weird halfway house height to it and it changed along its length too...

No? I didn't think so either! :P

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
52 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

For starters, there should be either two footboards that would appear much as per on a brake van, or a single footboard in the location where you would normally see a footboard along the solebar. Hornby seem to have put a single footboard in a position that equates to the average of the two that should be there rather than mounting the single footboard at a height where a single footboard should be.

They look rather odd, even for a supposedly generic* vehicle.

*(Stroudley by basic design even though they've deviated from the finer detail, but who's paying attention to that anymore?).

Fortunately it’s a separately fitted part that should be on its own bag in the box. Great opportunity for someone to sell a more representative looking alternative.

Brian.

Looking at photos the top footboard seems in line with or above the bottom flange of the chassis rather than below it where the flange could potentially trip someone as they might sense the flange as being the rear of the step. I am trying the Hornby footboards mekpaked immediately above the flange. The Bluebell have run a 4 wheeler only with the top step [link to photo]

34 minutes ago, Nile said:

Is this any better?

MM184747.JPG.4d387e804654f3823c4dbeba46c4aee4.JPG

Better, in a sense. But still a few mm more to even get close to the Bluebell examples and still a long way to go to be more representative and therefore truly 'generic'.

I'm thinking something more like THIS to be a bit more like the norm you'd expect.

I agree, its an open hole for a 3D printer to cash in on or an etch.

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, and I'm possibly glad I'm not going to be around for some of what might occur.

John 

I rated "agree", then thought I'd better clarify.

I'm not agreeing it'll be a glad thing you won't be around that long, rather, I agree that I won't be either!

• Friendly/supportive 2

How wide do you think they should be?

Maybe a better idea is to make new upper boards from plastic strip, mounted onto the edge of the flange, and mount the Hornby boards lower down.

12 minutes ago, Nile said:

Maybe a better idea is to make new upper boards from plastic strip, mounted onto the edge of the flange, and mount the Hornby boards lower down.

The full width of the chassis whereas those that are provided fit inside the chassis sides

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A resistor will increase the load on the battery and shorten it's life, though I'd imagine performance would still be acceptable to most people. 

The battery will (approximately) have a fixed voltage.

Adding resistance reduces current (and hence LED brightness) so by my reckoning the power (voltage x current) goes down.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Nile said:

A shade under 9'0" overall - the Midland example I'm looking at is 8'10½". (The lower footboards are slightly further in - 8'9".) I'd say either having the underside of the footboard flush with the bottom of the solebar or the top at the solebar centreline would be the most probable locations.

Your photo has revealed (to me) a strange flange along the bottom of the solebar, extending out to the width of the headstocks. Where did that come from, Hornby?