British coal will no longer be available

muddy water

29 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

There have been plenty of wood-burners in various parts of the world, I'm just not clear on what (how much) work would be needed to convert a coal-burning loco (compared to an oil conversion, for instance).

Well for starters you need a much bigger firebox, and therefore completely new boiler, which would not fit within our loading gauge, at least for any locomotive big enough for main line use.  Just take a look at this American wood burner, the firebox must be getting on for twice the diameter of the boiler!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Titan said:

Well for starters you need a much bigger firebox, and therefore completely new boiler, which would not fit within our loading gauge, at least for any locomotive big enough for main line use.  Just take a look at this American wood burner, the firebox must be getting on for twice the diameter of the boiler!

spacer.png

Are they different if they use briquettes rather than logs? I’m sure South Tynedale were doing one at one point but I don’t know whether that was already wood-burning.

Bagasse is also used overseas, I don’t know what an equivalent would be here though.

48 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

There have been plenty of wood-burners in various parts of the world, I'm just not clear on what (how much) work would be needed to convert a coal-burning loco (compared to an oil conversion, for instance).

And then there's the fuel source to consider.

I'm sure the collective contacts of the esteemed members of this forum arrange a (cough) diversion of one of the train loads of hopper wagons of wood pellets going to Drax Power Station?

http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/products/rail_freight_wagons/biomass_hopper_wagons/

Mange tout, Rodney, mange tout!

• RMweb Gold

The electrically heated Swiss steam locos were 0-6-0 station pilots with OHLE powered elements to raise steam during WW2, when it was difficult for the country to import coal or oil.  They were neutral but surrounded by axis countries on all borders, and the Germans did not export coal as it was needed for their war effort and home consumption. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Are they different if they use briquettes rather than logs? I’m sure South Tynedale were doing one at one point but I don’t know whether that was already wood-burning.

Bagasse is also used overseas, I don’t know what an equivalent would be here though.

Bagpuss?

Here is a radical idea, lets complete the heritage process and actually dig the coal for the locomotives in the traditional manner, we have volunteer drivers, firemen and cleaners so why not have volunteer miners!  Must be done using picks, shovels and sheer hard graft!  Fancy going down the Big Pit National Coal Museum and actually digging coal, no? Didn't think so!:D

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Here is a radical idea, lets complete the heritage process and actually dig the coal for the locomotives in the traditional manner, we have volunteer drivers, firemen and cleaners so why not have volunteer miners!  Must be done using picks, shovels and sheer hard graft!  Fancy going down the Big Pit National Coal Museum and actually digging coal, no? Didn't think so!:D

Well I've done a bit of helping to dig through a collapsed bit of tunnel in an old lead mine, using picks and shovels, and it being knee-deep in cold water at the start of the day (although we pumped enough of that out every time to be able to see what we were doing - the pump was the only powered equipment we had).

That particular mine had tried a stationary steam engine to pump out a shaft, and with no record discovered of it having been sold it was hoped it might still be in there (it would've been a solid lump of rust by now, but interesting all the same). Turned out it wasn't (I was away unfortunately when we finally got through).

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I have actually mined real coal at Big Pit, a whole lump of the stuff.  My current lump for wagon loads and bunkers was mined there by Tomparryharry!  But you're right, volunteers for a shift down below would be scarce and the health and safety implications are considerable!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Well I've done a bit of helping to dig through a collapsed bit of tunnel in an old lead mine, using picks and shovels, and it being knee-deep in cold water at the start of the day (although we pumped enough of that out every time to be able to see what we were doing - the pump was the only powered equipment we had).

That particular mine had tried a stationary steam engine to pump out a shaft, and with no record discovered of it having been sold it was hoped it might still be in there (it would've been a solid lump of rust by now, but interesting all the same). Turned out it wasn't (I was away unfortunately when we finally got through).

Coal mines are even less pleasant, as you have gas to contend with as well.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, The Johnster said:

Coal mines are even less pleasant, as you have gas to contend with as well.

Sometimes an issue in disused other sorts of mines (albeit different gases), although none that I've been in, or at least in the parts I've been in. I think modern gas detection equipment would be acceptable in a "heritage" operation, even if it wasn't mandated (which I imagine it almost certainly would be).

I agree though, I've not been down any coal mines but the impression I've got is that a lead mine was a rather better place to work in. Still, I'd give it a go - we'd have to see whether I'd give it a second one after that!

19 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Willow has been grown to be burnt in generating plants in the UK; it's energy density is a lot lower than coal, however, so you'd have to have a lot of tenders...

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Willow has been grown to be burnt in generating plants in the UK; it's energy density is a lot lower than coal, however, so you'd have to have a lot of tenders...

Would charcoal work?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It probably would, but you'd have to use a large amount.

I was wondering because I think that the energy density of charcoal is fairly similar to coal. It's rather more brittle though, which might be a problem.

Makes me laugh all this green malarkey

Watch the mile long coal trains going one way and the mile long "coke express" going the other, with all sorts of other freight / intermodal / double stack trains in between Coal / coke trains run seven days a week.

Use the scroll bar to go back 12 hours.

The Yanks don't give a to55, like China / India etc

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Wouldn’t it burn too hot?

Just looked it up and it looks like it. It's a more efficient fuel than coal but I suppose you'd have to design the locomotive (or the firebox at least) around it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What about coke, the orignal fuel used by railway locomotives?  It was abandoned because fireboxes for coal were cheaper to built and coal was more readily available, but it produced less smoke and burned for longer before reducing to ash, reducing to less ash as well making disposal and fire cleaning easier.  The cost is in replacing the firebox, which now has to be copper, but it already is on some older locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

What about coke, the orignal fuel used by railway locomotives?  It was abandoned because fireboxes for coal were cheaper to built and coal was more readily available, but it produced less smoke and burned for longer before reducing to ash, reducing to less ash as well making disposal and fire cleaning easier.  The cost is in replacing the firebox, which now has to be copper, but it already is on some older locos.

But you need coal to make coke. Perhaps whoever supplies our steel works could supply ?

Brit15