Microscale Decals - UK Based supplier?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Are there any UK based stockists of Microscale transfers at all?  If not then I am possibly considering a big order to Microscale in the US themselves to help spread the eyewatering postage charge!!!

Many thanks!

Hi John

I'm not overly familiar with the full range, however there appears to be a stockist in Germany (so I'm guessing perhaps more palatable shipping costs)...   https://aat-net.de/product-category/modelle-h0-us/microscale-h0/

The same seller and indeed others seem to list via eBay as well, I just searched for "microscale decals" and quite a few popped up.

Hope that helps...  :)

Best

Al 

Edited by YesTor
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, a few avenues to explore there.

I looked at the German retailer on Ebay but the sheet I wanted was not listed unfortunately, also I understand that a lot of mainland Europe retailers and suppliers have stopped supplying to the UK due to the new tax/duty regulations which rather puts a spanner in the works.

Of course, the real danger is going onto a a website for a sheet of transfers and finding lots of other goodies that expensively slip into my online shopping basket.....

UPDATE - German retailer has the sheet in stock but nineteen euros postage!!!  :swoon:  Hannants only have aircraft sheets but I wonder if they would get one in if I asked them.

Postage direct from Walthers - $17.06!!!

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

If I were ordering a couple of heavy HO scale locos and a few boxcars I could understand it but for a sheet of transfers in an envelope Air Mail Letter?

Still searching.....

• RMweb Premium

I have looked at Ebay listings in the UK, not many at all and none of the ones I am after unfortunately.  What overseas listing come up are minimum fifteen quid postage again and that is before Ebay have stuck the 20% VAT they are now putting automatically on top of all overseas purchases now plus any duty and Royal Mail charges when it gets here.

I think I may just give up for now...

That K4 Decals site looks good though, they have something else I am interested in so may give them a go.

Edited by John M Upton

25 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have looked at Ebay listings in the UK, not many at all and none of the ones I am after unfortunately.  What overseas listing come up are minimum fifteen quid postage again and that is before Ebay have stuck the 20% VAT they are now putting automatically on top of all overseas purchases now plus any duty and Royal Mail charges when it gets here.

The 20% import VAT is instead of it being collected by Royal Mail with the attendant handling charge 

• RMweb Premium

Sadly not, SP.

I have gone ahead and ordered Railroad Roman lettering/numbering from the K4 Decals site plus a couple of other sheets where I have not only got a discount but the postage (ordinary letter rate) was just $1.14.

What I still need to find is a SP for the front nose of a GP30 I am giving the once over, I guess Microscale are the only decal manufacturer who have the licence?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barclay said:

It is pretty outrageous - I recently ordered some from another US company - K4 decals, and they simply charged me what it cost them - just over a dollar - why do other US suppliers charge so much for postage ?

Me too great postage cost and great decals .I use Microscale themselves  for my MS  orders .Postage is fairly high but of course decals are at standard US prices and havnt been laying around for decades ,I also use San Juan decals for Hon3 locos  and SP locos  .Its best to look at what you might need and order in advance .Of course you can put any unsold or unwanted on ebay and get your money back .

Edited by friscopete

Having recently seen someone else report that some secondhand Microscale decals were unusable, I went ahead and put together an order with Microscale. I can't remember exactly why they couldn't fulfill it so ended up ordering from J-T Prantle on eBay and all of the ones I've used so far have been fine. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would recommend J-T Prantle for decals and small detail stuff. Their postage is always reasonable.

With any old or dodgy decals I always give them a spray of dullcote or similar before use.

Edited by mikjd
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/01/2021 at 20:19, John M Upton said:

Sadly not, SP.

I have gone ahead and ordered Railroad Roman lettering/numbering from the K4 Decals site plus a couple of other sheets where I have not only got a discount but the postage (ordinary letter rate) was just $1.14.

What I still need to find is a SP for the front nose of a GP30 I am giving the once over, I guess Microscale are the only decal manufacturer who have the licence?

If you are still after SP decals drop me a PM

john

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2021 at 10:40, John M Upton said:

Hannants only have aircraft sheets but I wonder if they would get one in if I asked them.

Old thread I know………. I contacted Hannants as they are probably the biggest UK importer of microscale decals. They flat refused (bordering on being plain rude) to order any railway/railroad related decals from microscale. Odd way to run a business but there you go….

I have ordered direct from Microscale a few times, seemed to come quiet quickly as mail, cannot remember the postage,

1 hour ago, mabel said:

Old thread I know………. I contacted Hannants as they are probably the biggest UK importer of microscale decals. They flat refused (bordering on being plain rude) to order any railway/railroad related decals from microscale. Odd way to run a business but there you go….

but it was OK.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2024 at 14:31, fulton said:

I have ordered direct from Microscale a few times, seemed to come quiet quickly as mail, cannot remember the postage,

but it was OK.

Ditto, their service to UK is very good and not expensive but minimum order is £20 or maybe $20. That is generally only 4 packs of decals so not too bad on the wallet.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1