Assistance Required

Sounds like Cornishmad needs a full time blogger to deal with all the negative comments and people going around in ever decreasing helix's (heli?)   It seems to me he is trying to recruit someone who can prove that they know  what they are doing re 3D printing, However in the process he is stirring up a lot of interest from people who basically can't grasp his concept.   I will direct son and heirs' attention to this post. he has a degree in computing and sod all to do.

• RMweb Premium

Helices. 

I’m not sure people can’t grasp the concept, merely it’s not being explained well. The OP has said he has all these items designed to be printed and to fit onto an existing chassis already. So you take each of your items, you ignore anything available RTR, and you host them somewhere for people to buy, advising which chassis it’ll work with. Done.

I think that’s my reading of the situation. I’m still totally unclear on the 35mm scale thing from the early posts - and whether the original intention was to sell large scale models like a large 3D printed jigsaw, and the help was needed to create the jigsaw. We’ve now gone the other way and got a Z scale body print!

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2021 at 12:17, cornishmad said:

We are looking for someone who can pull apart (Split) a model to enable the best 3D printing file package.

5 hours ago, cornishmad said:

All we needed was some to package the full models chassis, wheels, body, cab, extra details lamps etc... that’s all we was asking for someone to do lol

To me these look like two completely different requirements.  

One is for help with the computer design/printing side of the venture and the other to physically acquire and package parts (including the 3D printed parts) to make a complete model kit.  

If the latter is the requirement, is the party doing all this acquisition of parts also responsible for marketing and selling the “kit” or are the parts returned to Cornishmad’s company for them to do the marketing and selling?  Presumably this activity would be recompensed? (hopefully not from sales...).

Apart from buying some 3D printed models I know relatively little about the design side of 3D printing (and not that much more about the printing side) and this thread has been quite an education.  

What strikes me about the responses is that they were initially helpful from knowledgeable people but that a sense of bewilderment (rather than negativity) set in as the OP does not appear to be heeding the advice being given and is consistently unclear as to what is being asked.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 3

I think I'm seeing the problem here, everything appears to be modeled as a single part, given all the curves this means lots of complex blends which significantly increases the file size, that then requires a reduction in quality to get a transferable file size, which gives you flats where you want curves. the  best way to solve this is to have a CAD model where you can split everything up like a commercial kit. this will solve a lot of issues, but will also result in further issues, for instance when you print out a model with attached handrails there may not be sufficient gap between rail and body for the resin to drain out which will result in a blobby looking hand rail rather than a separate rail, but if you print it as a separate part the rail may be so thin that it snaps into multiple pieces. For things like the hand rails it might be worth adapting the design to give a number of separate handrail mounts on a sprue and to use thin piano wire (or similar) as the actual rails, or even just specifying commercially available fittings. For pipes you could instead of printing out an easily broken pipe, print out a jig that you can wrap a wire around to the correct shape. Having more parts has another advantage, it makes it easier to remove the support structure cleanly.

• Agree 1