MTB HO CD 810 - weathered and speaker fitting

warbonnetuk

Some of my favorite memories of travelling by train in the Czech Republic was riding in Class 810 railbuses and their various trailers along all manner of routes so I always wanted a model version. Initially this was in TT scale as part of construction "Smirzovka" together with fellow CD traveller Ian Lampkin. With Ian building 'Dobris' I'd hankered after an HO version but budget and availability put pay to that until last year Roco and MTB both announced factory produced 810 / M152's. As the MTB run included the classic CD Maroon / Cream version that I rode on I pre-order this scheme via a German dealer. Despite a fortnights' delay with shipping due the recent Covid border closure it arrived last week.

Out of the box the model was well decorated and supplied with a pack of addition detail for air pipes, wipers, radio antenna, coupling hooks and footsteps. The chassis / running gear is a plastic underframe holding the motor which drives both axles with a solid metal block provides ample weight and stiffness. My model was DCC Ready via a Plux22 socket.

810 oob.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
corrections
  • Like 3

After having a good look at the model and giving it a test run the next order was to install a speaker as a prelude to a DCC install and then some weathering.

While MTB provided wiring contact spots on the DCC circuit board there was no dedicated space to put a speaker that wouldnt be visible through the windows. The option I went for was to modify the weight block by cutting off what would have been the toilet compartment in the prototype and when creating a hollow space plasticard compartment walls. Once installed the whole piece was painted Tamiya Buff to match the floor material used on the prototype

810 cast weight mods.jpg

810 weight cuts.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, roundhouse said:

It will be interesting ot compare it against the older Bramos model that I have. Are you fitting Kadees so it can haul the trailer cars?

Well when this situation is all over I'm looking forward to running it on Dobris. Comes with NEM pocket so will be sticking on Kadees. See that MTB are doing the trailers so will be looking to pre-order one.

• Like 1

Final stage of the speaker install was locating the bit of kit itself. My initial plan was to go with my normal choice of a cut-down iPhone 4 speaker but comparing it to the space available the round speaker bit at the end wouldnt fit under the circuitboard internal 'roof'. Digging in my stash of speakers a YouChoos 'Brick 11' fitted nicely so problem solved. Another happy accident was that the redundant screw hole from cutting the weigh back was ideal for routing the speaker wiring up to the speaker wiring pads (just below the Plux22 scocket on the picture).

810 speaker.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
  • Like 1

So with the hard graft out of the way it was time for the fun stuff and getting the out fresh-out-of-works grubby.

First up was the underframe and running gear. The model comes with the suspension and battery boxes in a light grey which may have been the case out of works but from my photos and a search on Flickr certainly wasnt the case after years of service. After masking the wheel treads the whole chassis was airbrushed Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black as a base. Once dry a further batch of Nato Black was mixed with some Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown to create a dark brown / black and then thinned before airbrushing lightly across the more recessed areas of the underframe. To add some variety the black / brown mix was lightened with a bit more Red Brown and this was airbrushed onto the more prominant areas like the suspension units. After setting aside overnight to dry fully a wash was applied to the raised detail using AK Engine Grime while the axleboxes and suspension springs got a wash of AK Interactive Air Shafts and Bearings Grease. Final touches was a dusting of MIG Dark Mud and Europe Dust pigments across the raised edges of battery boxes etc as well as the buffers shanks and footsteps. 

810 weathered chassis a.jpg

810 weathered chassis b.jpg

• Like 2

The next area to addess was the roof. From my Flickr search it was clear that the mid-grey roof colour as supplied soon bleached out to a lighter shade. My original plan was to simply overcoat the roof and then apply a wash to bring out the roof detail and then some soot around the exhaust pipe but I then decided to have a play with a AK weathering mask I'd purchased a while back. After masking up the sides and ends with Tamiya masking tape the roof was airbrushed with a base coat of a mix of Tamiya XF-83 with a touch of XF-77. While drying to touch the paint mix got a bit more XF83 to lighten it to create a subtle contrast to the base colour plus a dribble of Gunze Mr Colour Self Levelling Thinners. Holding the mask about 5mm parallel above the model to get a 'soft' outline and using the smaller holes the lighter grey was lightly sprayed in random patches. After a bit of swearing and retouches where I was either too heavy on the paint or held the mask too close I ended up with nice randomly mottled roof.

810 roof mottling.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
  • Like 1

Another weathering feature I'd noted from my photo searches was the 'checkerboard' rust pattern on the roof of some vehicles (https://flic.kr/p/CVcDhp , https://flic.kr/p/vvQK7U). This pattern was something that Ian and myself has seen on CD Type Y coaches on many occasion and was something we'd discussed over a beer or two on show weekends (remember those folks?!?!?!) as to how to recreate it in model form.

Having a think after playing with the weathering mask I thought I'd try the the same principle for the roof rust. After measuring the roof dimensions of the model, counting the rust blocks on the prototype photos and decided on a 2mm gap between blocks I drew out a trial grid on paper. Once I was happy with the dimensions this was taped down over old blank OHP slide and the holes cut out with a scalpel - a Silouette cutter would be ideal for this job. As I wanted a soft effect, to hold the mask off the surface of the model if I was going to tape it down I added some strips of 2mm pin striping tape (blue lines in the photo) to provide some lift.

Once complete the mask was applied to the model's roof and held with masking tape. Slightly thinned Mig Old Rust acrylic paint was then airbrushed lightly over random squares across the roof keeping as square on a possible to the model to create the desired 'soft' edges to each block. After allowing a few hours to add some variation to the rust tones I added some lighter / more orange rust pigments around the edges of some of the blocks. To do the more random rust above the cab I first stippled on some dark rust pigments followed but a couple a spots of rust coloured oils from a MIG Oilbrusher. Once the oils had started to lose its shine I stippled it gently with a small brush damp with thinners to get a less even effect 810 roof rust mask.jpg

810 roof rust template.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk

With the roof rust done the last bits to be done were to add a pin wash around the roof details using an AK dark brown panel line wash with the excess cleaned up once dried with a small brush and cottonbuds togther with a little AK thinners.

One point I did remember from my various trips on these units was the wood effect formica interiors so in a very crude attempt to relicate this, using a 4mm flat brush I painted the buff-coloured cab wall and toilet compartment a mix of raw sienna with a touch of burnt sienna oil paints to get a kinda-wood grain effect as I'd seen this done in model aircraft mags to replicate vanished wood on WWI plane. Mine effort is definitley a first attempt but for me it passes the '3 foot' test for me. The other quick interior details was a crude version of the drivers window blinds. From photos these could either be maroon or buff so I raided my kids' craft box and came up with some maroon paper. This was cut to a v shallow wedge shape with a cut out to clear the headlights and glued in with a couple of spots of a 'sticky' non-drying glue. I also touched in the area behind each of the top headlights above each cab with Tamiya Semi Gloss black to match the prototype. The last bit of interior detail was to repaint the plastic seats from bare plastic red to something more close to the maroon vinyl used by CD; in this case Vallejo Model Colour 70926 Red.

With the body reunited with the chassis all the recesses around doors, panels and the bufferbeam area got a coat of Flory Models 'Dark Dirt' clay wash. Once dry the excess was removed with almost-dry (with water) cotton buds using an top to bottom motion to create some subtle streaking. And that was that....

Last job will be to get a Zimo Plux22 chip loaded with an 810 sound set.

Hope you like the final results.....

810 reveal a.jpg

810 Reveal b.jpg

810 Reveal c.jpg

810 Reveal d.jpg

810 Reveal e.jpg

Edited by warbonnetuk
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Very clever stuff mate, I love it!

This time last year, my mate Doug and I were in Prague for a week and we had a lovely ride on one of these units, in that livery too!

Czech railway’s are very interesting indeed.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John. Hope you and yours are well. Would love to go back myself once all this Covid business is  over.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

Looks excellent!!

I also want an 810 and trailers in this livery rather than the current Roco livery options.

My reason for not going with the MTB model was their DMU’s don’t have a space for a speaker, so my 842 etc are currently silent.

However I do like your install so might have to rethink!!

Stay Safe,

Neil

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Looks excellent!!

I also want an 810 and trailers in this livery rather than the current Roco livery options.

My reason for not going with the MTB model was their DMU’s don’t have a space for a speaker, so my 842 etc are currently silent.

However I do like your install so might have to rethink!!

Stay Safe,

Neil

Thanks Neil.

Have to admit I assumed (always dangerous!) that there would be a space for a speaker so was suprised when I got the MTB model apart to find that there wasnt really any space anywhere as supplied. The cast block is heavy enough that even with the bit of it removed it should have no trouble pulling a couple of 010 trailers, which I must look to get a pre-order in on.

I found Roco's choice of paint schemes a little odd but reading some Facebook threads recently Czech modellers apparently really like the Epoch IV CSD era stuff so shows what I know!

Just need to keep working on Ian to pre-order the HO version of the Class 714 :D

Cheers

Dan

Edited by warbonnetuk

• RMweb Gold

I will be getting a 714 but waiting to see how the new import rules work out. I would rather pick one up whilst in the Czech Republic but when thats likely to be easy again we shall just have to wait and see.

Its odd that MTB don't have space for speakers in their railcars because their earlier locos had them factory installed so just a sound decoder was required.

Our first ride on the line to Dobris was in a rake of 4 trailers hauled by a 714. At Dobris one trailer was shunted and left in the private siding by the road crossing and we returned in a shorter rake back to Prague.

Dobris2005 (0004).JPG

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, warbonnetuk said:

Thanks Neil.

Have to admit I assumed (always dangerous!) that there would be a space for a speaker so was suprised when I got the MTB model apart to find that there wasnt really any space anywhere as supplied. The cast block is heavy enough that even with the bit of it removed it should have no trouble pulling a couple of 010 trailers, which I must look to get a pre-order in on.

I found Roco's choice of paint schemes a little odd but reading some Facebook threads recently Czech modellers apparently really like the Epoch IV CSD era stuff so shows what I know!

Just need to keep working on Ian to pre-order the HO version of the Class 714 :D

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I'd be interested in a 714 as well when it appears.

The speaker issue is odd, as there is space in all their loco's for sound and I think the even one of the 742's had a pre-installed speaker.

I first realised the issue when I took my 854 apart and couldn't see anywhere to put it easily. So my 842, 852 and 854 are all silent.

Might buy some 010 trailers to haul around with a 751 etc.... But I don't think the trailers are out yet?

Stay safe,

Neil

25 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Hi Dan,

I'd be interested in a 714 as well when it appears.

The speaker issue is odd, as there is space in all their loco's for sound and I think the even one of the 742's had a pre-installed speaker.

I first realised the issue when I took my 854 apart and couldn't see anywhere to put it easily. So my 842, 852 and 854 are all silent.

Might buy some 010 trailers to haul around with a 751 etc.... But I don't think the trailers are out yet?

Stay safe,

Neil

Neil

No, the trailers arent out yet but vlaky.cz is advertizing it, presumably for pre-order.

https://www.itvlaky.cz/vozy/h0-pripojny-vuz-btax780/

A while back on the Czech Modelling thread the below decal supplier was mentioned - would provide some options for other trailer types other than the Btax type

(https://obtisky-marfdknl.webnode.cz/?collection=osobni-vozy)

Dan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As an follow up the to 810 a month or so back I saw on the Itvlaky Facebook page that the MTB Btax trailers were available. A pre-order was placed to Menzies in Germany and last week it arrived. First impressions were that it was a very nice representation of the trailer with the correct roof (no exhaust ports!). There is a simple suspension system with one axle fixed and the other pivoting slightly

The trailer is fitted with lights which can be DCC controlled with a funtion decoder via a NEM 651 socket under the circuit board. Pick-ups are fitted to the fixed axle only but a capacitor is included on the factory circuit board, hidden in the toilet compartment. Niggles are that the the pickup wiring from the fixed axle to the roof circuit board runs visible right up throught the middle of the passenger seating area and also that the end benches are a little high in order to hold the end light PCB's.

Plan now is to strip it down to a) paint the interior, b) reroute the pickup wiring under the interior moulding and through the toilet compartment and c) repaint / weather the roof and underframes 

2021-03-11 12.03.47.jpg

2021-03-11 12.27.47.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

to MTB 810, so unfortunately it is not completely accurate (it has bad windows). The more accurate model is from Roco or the Czech manufacturer Bramos. As soon as I take a picture of all three models next to each other, I will put photos here. I will still leave photos of the roof 810 for a possible patina

810 strecha-1.jpg

810 strecha-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/04/2021 at 16:26, MArfDKnL said:

Hi,

to MTB 810, so unfortunately it is not completely accurate (it has bad windows). The more accurate model is from Roco or the Czech manufacturer Bramos. As soon as I take a picture of all three models next to each other, I will put photos here. I will still leave photos of the roof 810 for a possible patina

810 strecha-1.jpg

810 strecha-2.jpg

Thanks for photos - I love the unique rust pattern you get on 810's

As Roco have done either the old CSD or modern paint scheme I went for the MTB as they were doing the red / cream I remember from my first trips to CZ. I must have looked at was what was probably Bramos ones at various times in Prago Models and decided I couldnt justify mortgaging the house for a model train - a friend has one so I look forward to comparing once Covid lockdown is lifted sufficiently. As for the MTB version the windows I can live with as a compromise

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2021 at 11:55, roundhouse said:

I will be getting a 714 but waiting to see how the new import rules work out. I would rather pick one up whilst in the Czech Republic but when thats likely to be easy again we shall just have to wait and see.

Its odd that MTB don't have space for speakers in their railcars because their earlier locos had them factory installed so just a sound decoder was required.

Our first ride on the line to Dobris was in a rake of 4 trailers hauled by a 714. At Dobris one trailer was shunted and left in the private siding by the road crossing and we returned in a shorter rake back to Prague.

Dobris2005 (0004).JPG

I’ve seen pics of a single trailer hauled by a 742 diesel

Edited by SimonBoulton
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

As a finale to this particular thread I finally got round to procuring a Zimo NEM651 function only decoder from Coastal DCC. After installation it seems that all it gives you is constant interior lighting and directional tail lights so a little disappointed that MTB havent been able to utilise the full funtionality of the decoder i.e. being able to turn the interior lights on and off. Curse you Roco for doing the modern and as built Czech paint schemes first!!!;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 22:48, warbonnetuk said:

Some of my favorite memories of travelling by train in the Czech Republic was riding in Class 810 railbuses and their various trailers along all manner of routes so I always wanted a model version. Initially this was in TT scale as part of construction "Smirzovka" together with fellow CD traveller Ian Lampkin. With Ian building 'Dobris' I'd hankered after an HO version but budget and availability put pay to that until last year Roco and MTB both announced factory produced 810 / M152's. As the MTB run included the classic CD Maroon / Cream version that I rode on I pre-order this scheme via a German dealer. Despite a fortnights' delay with shipping due the recent Covid border closure it arrived last week.

Out of the box the model was well decorated and supplied with a pack of addition detail for air pipes, wipers, radio antenna, coupling hooks and footsteps. The chassis / running gear is a plastic underframe holding the motor which drives both axles with a solid metal block provides ample weight and stiffness. My model was DCC Ready via a Plux22 socket.

810 oob.jpg

Hi Dan, 

In the spirit of resuscitation, are you able to replace the original images or add new ones to the thread. I remember looking on here and being impressed by the weathering you'd applied to your 810. 

I'm hoping to take delivery of a Roco M152 in late CSD livery over the weekend and will be looking to replicate a circa 1985-1989 condition. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Dan, 

In the spirit of resuscitation, are you able to replace the original images or add new ones to the thread. I remember looking on here and being impressed by the weathering you'd applied to your 810. 

I'm hoping to take delivery of a Roco M152 in late CSD livery over the weekend and will be looking to replicate a circa 1985-1989 condition. 

Rob. 

If you are visiting the Bristol show then you are welcome to give it a run on Dobris.

Dan should also be helping on the layout so you will get chance to see his 810 in the flesh.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

If you are visiting the Bristol show then you are welcome to give it a run on Dobris.

Dan should also be helping on the layout so you will get chance to see his 810 in the flesh.

Thanks Ian. 

I'll hopefully be popping across on the Friday afternoon. It woll be lovely to finally meet and see Dobris. 

Rob

• Like 1