DJH peppercorn A2 valve gear replacement

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone could help me possibly? 

I recently purchased a DJH K33 peppercorn A2 kit via eBay. It was the old spec kit that came with its Romford wheel set. 

To cut a long story short. I’ve built the chassis as a jig to erect the body and the tender is complete.

The issue is the kit was NOS and it was mostly sealed and complete, missing parts to my knowledge was just the 1/8 wheel bearing which new ones were sourced via Markits.

One thing I noticed was the fret containing all the valve gear was for the K30 kit. 

the K30 kit is the Peppercorn A1 which the prototype has a larger diameter of driving wheel at 6 foot 8 inches. The prototype of the A2 has 6 foot 2 inch driving wheels. this intern means the connection rods and the piston rods are too long. 

I’ve put a request in to DJH requesting the valve gear fret for the K33 kit. However I doubt they’ll help me as I didn’t buy the kit from them. 

I have purchased the AM9 motor and gear box assembly from them for this kit. It’s almost complete so not being able to complete the kit due to this niggle is frustrating. 

this is only my second locomotive build so it’s not the prettiest but the it’s very smooth and free running and is substantially better than my first build of a DJH B16/1. 

My question after this waffling on is:

does anyone know of anybody who produces after market components or can produce new valve gear for a Peppercorn A2 via 3D printing? 

any help will be greatly appreciated,

regards,

Ross

P.S here’s some photos of the locomotive as the build progressed.

E8851A04-9A13-4838-B603-E5921490182C.jpeg

7F92CED2-9F7C-4CA1-B877-1284BD953FEC.jpeg

DD111458-EAB8-4FBB-9419-F4C3CFAC9261.jpeg

08AAD379-811B-4BDB-B8B8-E02FDE3FE86D.jpeg

BE70793F-FA02-4F66-A80B-5D7FBB75A0E9.jpeg

849ADB46-31F9-4741-AD0C-B986B67E9235.jpeg

E7A70F82-4617-4A6A-8D26-A76E9C1C9568.jpeg

100AAE67-FA47-44B3-93D1-9BBDEDCFCE33.jpeg

Edited by Ross Natoin
  • Like 2

No idea about the DJH valve gear. Does it fit? Kits often used the same parts in other kits as a cost saving measure.

If you aren't getting anywhere try South Eastern Finecast. They do an A2 kit and are more amenable to selling parts than many other manufacturers.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/

Or Alan Gibson who have A2 valve gear listed.   4M52/19 LNER Class A2

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

No idea about the DJH valve gear. Does it fit? Kits often used the same parts in other kits as a cost saving measure.

If you aren't getting anywhere try South Eastern Finecast. They do an A2 kit and are more amenable to selling parts than many other manufacturers.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your advise.

To answer your question yes I had the piston rod on the slide bar with a temporary fixed to the middle driving wheel and it had a tight spot at 3 o’clock so I thought I’d check the con rod between the drivers and found  the length between the wheels to be too long.

To the point where you couldn’t turn the wheels and the piston rod also was seen to bend at this tight spot. 

I will look into South Eastern Fine cast tomorrow and if DJH don’t wish to help me I’ll send them an email and see what they say.

thank you again for your help,

Ross.

• RMweb Premium

I'd second SE Finecast, you will be very lucky to get anything out of DJH, as you say your not their customer. The Alan Gibson fret is very much a generic valve gear so does not actually necessarily look like what you are after on the lifting links, I have sold the ones I had on. . I'm sure you could sell the A1 fret to anyone who needs a set for that kit

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I did recently complete a DJH Peppercorn A2 after several years. Something in the back of ny mind tells me that the valve gear fret they supply is the same for both Peppercorn Pacifics, though I may be completely wrong.

May I suggest you pose your question on "Wright Writes". Mr. Wright has made literally dozens of both kits and I'm sure can advise you, not only as to whether the frets are different for the two types, but also how to overcome your problem.

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ross,

The other thread I referenced mentions something about the distance been the axles being "adjusted" by DJH, which might cause some compatibility issues with other suppliers components. 

It is probably worth a quick read: 

Stephen

Edited by sjp23480
added URL
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Ross,

The other thread I referenced mentions something about the distance been the axles being "adjusted" by DJH, which might cause some compatibility issues with other suppliers components. 

It is probably worth a quick read: 

Stephen

Hi,

I’ve taken a look at the thread and I’m now just left with more questions than answers.

it could just be me being thick though so I’ll give a few more read throughs and see what I can grasp of it. 

many thanks for this information,

Ross

9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I'd second SE Finecast, you will be very lucky to get anything out of DJH, as you say your not their customer. The Alan Gibson fret is very much a generic valve gear so does not actually necessarily look like what you are after on the lifting links, I have sold the ones I had on. . I'm sure you could sell the A1 fret to anyone who needs a set for that kit

Hi,

Unfortunately I’ve part assembled the valve gear so it’s not in a state to be sold on as it’s my first time building walzarts gear (excuse the spelling mistake) do it’s not pretty. 

many thanks for your advice,

Ross

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ross Natoin said:

Hi,

Unfortunately I’ve part assembled the valve gear so it’s not in a state to be sold on as it’s my first time building walzarts gear (excuse the spelling mistake) do it’s not pretty. 

many thanks for your advice,

Ross

I have found myself in similar predicaments in the past.  I suspect DJH will sell you a replacement valve gear etch, but it might not be that cheap.  As previously mentioned, Tony Wright is the "A2meister" (amongst other things) and can probably offer some sage advise if you PM him.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

I have found myself in similar predicaments in the past.  I suspect DJH will sell you a replacement valve gear etch, but it might not be that cheap.  As previously mentioned, Tony Wright is the "A2meister" (amongst other things) and can probably offer some sage advise if you PM him.  

I think that’s the best option I will ping him a message in regards to this and see what advise he has to offer. 

thanks again,

Ross.

Hi all,

Some GOOD NEWS! As James May would say. I’ve managed to source a valve gear fret. It’s a DJH one too! 

Only cost me £12.50 and it’s on its way to me now. So fingers crossed this beautiful loco will be running.

At request of my source they wish to remain anonymous. So I politely ask please don’t ask me to reveal them as I will not be doing so. 

I shall post some pictures and hopefully a video of her when the valve gear is complete and she’s running as a complete locomotive.

but for now here’s where the build is currently at,

Cheers for all the support and suggestions along the way.

Ross.

25BAEE46-66A7-457E-9A31-9E9885D3F571.jpeg

DD87D5EE-C43D-4AC4-B613-FA55D79A98DA.jpeg

• Like 1