Boxfile on a Budget - Phase 2

• RMweb Gold

@davidparker172 Hi Dave, I guess it depends on the box files you have. The ones I used use something like gaffer tape to attach the front to the base, so when pulled down it’s like Option 2 on your diagram. Mine are only taped and stapled at the join, so it’s simply a matter of brute force to pull the front down and remove the staple. 

@The Bandit @TechnicArrow Thanks for your kind words - and your encouragement throughout! Still more tinkering to be done I think, especially before it would go in The Dispatch if invited. 

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had another go at the static grass, re-using what I scraped off, and while it still doesn’t look great, it now looks less bad than it did. 

I’ve ended up hard wiring the current collecting tender to the Caley Pug, as the loco+tender plug+socket looked awful. 

I’ve made a video since those updates, including a running session that starts at the 11:35 mark if you want to jump straight to that: 

https://youtu.be/FYumpjQSavU

Edited by Andrew D
  • Like 6

• Andrew D changed the title to Boxfile on a Budget - Phase 2
  • RMweb Gold

INTRODUCING PHASE 2

I thought about starting a new topic, but to keep the threads tidy, 'Phase 2' works just as well. 

While I wait for my board for my 'proper' layout to be built, I thought about doing another box file, only this time try and correct everything I feel I did 'wrong' on the main build. Therefore this new box file project would be: 

• Not too big - so just one box file to remain fully portable and caravan-friendly 
  • Box file to remain intact, without pulling down the front
  • Electrofrog points, not Setrack

There's not much you can do with one boxfile in OO gauge, and I was racking my brains to think of a raison d'être when it hit me: 

Build the 'goods in' yard of the bakery that extends from the middle siding of the main boxfile layout. 

Eureka! I could have a stand-alone layout but it could also be tacked on to the end of the existing layout - if only I had the room to do so! 

I intend to use Code 75 track so there's had to be some kind of short conversion bridge between the two if they ever get linked. 

Here's the plan: 

IMG_9420.jpeg.a0e3c623fe310f7b9221bcae6a426397.jpeg

In the middle of the 'V' would be the loading platform. The SMS barn is a placeholder for the former stables and now stores, and on the left and rear faces would be ultra-low relief factory buildings from LCut Creative as per Boxes 1&2 of the main layout. 

I'm thinking of a coal pile behind the wagons and maybe building some kind of opening to a chute or coal cellar where the boilers would be. 

Of course, I'd now need more wagons, and I pulled out these four sad subjects from the projects drawer that I'd picked up a while ago at an exhibition for £10 for 4: 

IMG_9408.jpeg.cb17f8d5d43b0ac5c0d013e872688931.jpeg

I strive for an impression of realism rather than prototypical realism, so these would do just fine. I also much prefer the older 'D' type tension lock couplings for shunting over the newer style. I managed to get them to look like this: 

IMG_9488.jpeg.58ed6561d0fbb76c1a45a3ee044b1ece.jpeg

The box van got a new roof from Plasticard, heated up and shaped around a spice jar.

Just like the two wooden open wagons, this was then sprayed with Poundland red oxide car primer and hand painted with artist acrylics, mixing my own colours using Burnt Umber as a base. These were weathered using a dark wash made out of said acrylics mixed with water and a drop of soap, then foofed up a bit with weathering powders: 

IMG_9424.jpeg.69a069bbd494abce89e721539e64be08.jpeg

IMG_9441.jpeg.c0b47ed7df2a4d2cb8f8373553b31714.jpeg

IMG_9484.jpeg.1764f28f9d728d89715e0d5ee888447f.jpeg

I am particularly pleased with how the 20/21t coal wagon came out, as this was my first attempt at Hairspray Weathering: 

IMG_9413.jpeg.b03cd374561b00390c7ab7f64e031533.jpeg

IMG_9493.jpeg.5485cb9482c1f81f7eb7dc3f5ab14ccd.jpeg

If you're interested I've written about it on the weathering section of the forum here: 

After three weeks of not having a kitchen table I am craving some order in my life again, so the trains will have to go away for a while now as I take care of more boring stuff. But I'm looking forward to cracking on with Phase 2 once time permits. 

Thanks for reading! 

Andrew

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind encouragement @Weeny Works and @Kevin Johnson :) 

And @The Bandit - I'm planning a week's holiday near the NYMR at Easter, so not a million miles from you. I might carry out my threat of coming to film Bleak Moor Quarry Shed and M&J Brewery... so if you want to see that as a deadline, please do! ;) 

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2023 at 00:23, RailwayLacky said:

just catching up with this layout andrew, love the video very informative!

Thank you! Although had I seen your roundy-roundy before starting this it might have been a very different story ;)

• 1 month later...

Great stuff man! Love the phase 1 (and the videos too), very much looking forward to phase 2!

Very inspirational and has spurred me on to finish mine! 

A mistake I made with mine I believe was trying to make too much from it. It has 2 fiddle yards and in theory 2 sides to view from, but I have found the 'complexity' (well or me anyways) and life has killed my urge to model- until now!

Thanks again 

Ol

• Like 2