Appropriate Colour for Station Name Boards?

Evening all. I've got some Knightwing white metal station name boards, I've grey primed them and am unsure of a colour with which to paint them?

I have the name signage printed and ready - my instinct was to paint the metal white and then weather them, but as the signs are white too maybe this isn't such a good idea?

The station is Southern Region circa 1980.

• RMweb Gold

Having looked through a number of books from the late 70s and very early 80s I can tell you there aren’t many photos with station names showing!

There were still a few names on the older ornate posts as there still are today. Some were just mounted on lamp posts and other posts that were already there (such as canopy supports). 

Many were on what looks like 2” square steel posts either grey or black. The grey may have been just galvanised steel. None of these seemed to have any in a region colour until one book which covered Cromptons through the years touched on the Network South East era (mid 80s) where I found both red and blue painted posts.

No posts looked white. 

Hope that helps. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

From the BR Blue era onwards new signs were white with black lettering on grey posts. With the onset of PTEs, NSE and line branding various coloured logos and borders started to appear.

A few old station nameboards survived mostly on far flung lines, the GWR style being quite common, and they were sometimes unofficially painted in big four company or BR regional colours rather than in accordance with the Corporate Identity Manual.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have photos of nameboards mounted on square-section pale grey tubular posts at Southampton (with the Network Southeast corner flash on the board) 2001 and Llandudno 1992. 

Alphaline DMU 158 866 Southampton 2001.jpg

BR DMU 158 759 Llandudno 1992.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 1