Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Its was good to see you yesterday morning and the layout looks superb in the flesh. Sorry for distracting you and causing the cock-ups, but its your first show so I think you got away with them! We didn't actually introduce ourselves but we did pop back a couple of times and things were looking good. I look forward to seeing developments and you can come and distract us once Tidworth is out there!  ;)

Hi Dave, really good to meet you and your Son today, BE looked superb and is a credit to you. Every time I came by it was running well and I saw NO hiccups with operation all day.

Hope have a good journey home.

All the best.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

First thanks to all of the RMWebbers who said hello over the weekend and for all the really nice comments at th show and in the posts above. For its first proper show (it had done our one day club show 2 years ago as a layout under construction) we were really pleased. I must admit to having been concerned about reliability over 2 days and also about expansion if got hot in the hall (which it did). There were very few issues, a couple of back to back problems, one point occasionally needed its end points resetting and the Kaydees on some stock appeared to stick sometimes. As mentioned by Ian earlier, the main issues were mainly operator related. We really enjoy operating from the front as you get to intract so much more with visitors. The downside is you get talking, forget what you are doing and every thing goes to rats! We also learnt that the layout benefits from 2 operators at any time, one running the station the other shunting the yard. As we only had 2 of us for most of the weekend, it meant we saw very little of the actual show. We had 5 potential exhibition invites and discussed with Andy York about an article when the layout is fully finished for BRM. Roll on Saturday we go on holiday for a week!

PS my wife got a commission for some Buddleia!

• Like 9

First thanks to all of the RMWebbers who said hello over the weekend and for all the really nice comments at th show and in the posts above. For its first proper show (it had done our one day club show 2 years ago as a layout under construction) we were really pleased. I must admit to having been concerned about reliability over 2 days and also about expansion if got hot in the hall (which it did). There were very few issues, a couple of back to back problems, one point occasionally needed its end points resetting and the Kaydees on some stock appeared to stick sometimes. As mentioned by Ian earlier, the main issues were mainly operator related. We really enjoy operating from the front as you get to intract so much more with visitors. The downside is you get talking, forget what you are doing and every thing goes to rats! We also learnt that the layout benefits from 2 operators at any time, one running the station the other shunting the yard. As we only had 2 of us for most of the weekend, it meant we saw very little of the actual show. We had 5 potential exhibition invites and discussed with Andy York about an article when the layout is fully finished for BRM. Roll on Saturday we go on holiday for a week!

PS my wife got a commission for some Buddleia!

Reference the 'ps my wife got a commission for some buddleja'. I am not at all surprised I too was very taken with her efforts. Your son mentioned his mum had spent years doing floristry, and her attention to detail paid off. I was so keen to take pictures, I almost banged your control panel!!!! People getting so close must be a nightmare.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, 

was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you again (and with your son, of course), and seeing the layout which is lovely. Everyone I chatted to about BE thought that it was fantastic. I never got much time to watch the layout during the show's opening hours as we were pretty tied up on BCB (hence press-ganging Andy P in as operator all day on Sunday). I Probably said as much but I do love the buildings on the layout.

Cheers,

Jason

Dave, it was good to meet you and Matt over the course of the weekend - I think I'd met the whole family by late Sunday afternoon!  The layout looked great and I'm sure you'll soon get your minor running niggles sorted out.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, it was great to see your layout at DEMU today and I thank you for letting me have a go on the NCE powercab this afternoon. 

I'm just wondering which static grass you have used on the layout as i thought it looked great.

Alex the static grass is a mixture of Mini-Natur and Greenscenes. The colours used are a darkish green, summer green and straw colour. A base layer of 4mm mixed medium green and straw was applied first. Then on the edge of the layout it was graduated from the board edge in with a second light cover of the darker green. On the centre sections of the layout the second layer was a mix of medium green with longer 6mm straw mixed in. Two static grass applicators were used. The bulk was applied with a Noch Grassmaster, the centre section and touch up stuff used a Green Scene Flock It. The base glue was the Greenscene flock cement. The second layers used 3M Spraymount. Hope this is of help to you.

• RMweb Gold

Would she be interested in more commissions, or even regular sales? There is clearly a gap in the market and she has the talent to fill it.

Mike

We had brief discussion last night on this. In principle my wife could be interested, we would need to work out the costs, our main concern is that they are quite delicate and we need to investigate ways of packing them so the they do not get damaged during delivery. We are on holiday next week and then I am away on business basically all week until the end of July, so do not expect any conclusions for a couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What a great idea and layout, really like the typical terrace houses. I used to live not far away in Queens Park ( not actually in the park! ) so know the area quite well. I have passed this on to our exhibition layout organiser (Bob) so you hopefully will get an invite later this year.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not had any updates recently as I have been away on holiday, away on business and catching up on jobs around the house I have avoided. I have a job list of about 25 items to complete on the layout before the next show at Southampton in Jan 15. Signals are the first priority and the gantry with the station throat entry signals and theatre indicators is about 90% complete, Also I though I woud pop in photo of where Brighton lives at home (no controllers etc fitted at the time). It was designed to fit around furniture in a bedroom with minimum compromise on the floor space. 

post-1359-0-72317800-1406134981.jpg

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A new old train for Brighton. I cannot remember the dates but it must have been around 2000 there was an article in ModelRail about road railers and how the author has built a road railer set. Liking quirky things I thought lets build some as well. The shells are plasti-card boxes with plastic strip detail on the ends (all Slaters did not know about Evergreen in thoses days). The sides including all the rivet detail are printed onto paper and stuck on, they were produced on Coral draw. The bogies are modified Cambrians. The set was converted to EM but never used because it constantly derailed! Last weekend I dragged it out again and sorted it out, which I now know was combination of a track problem (solved for DEMU) and a problem with one of the centre bogie pivot points. The bodies had also started to delaminate (the lead in PVA problem)  so they were repaired and the results are what you see here. If I was doing now rather than 14 years ago I would makes things a bit less clunky, but from a distance it still looks ok I think and will now join the stock roster as it just about comes into the time frame, EWS did run them in their colours, so I could repaint them if anyone complains!

post-1359-0-09457500-1407916215.jpg

post-1359-0-53283700-1407916228.jpg

post-1359-0-60632500-1407916238.jpg

post-1359-0-98431300-1407916249.jpg

A very cruel photo, shows how modeling standards have changed in 14 years! Their is also some damage I have not noticed.

post-1359-0-53565600-1407916264.jpg

Anyway back to the signals tonight as my etched ladders from MSE have turned up.

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The tunnel signal is complete and planted. The position and design was based on the signal at the western exit of the tunnel to Southampton Central, then using the RGS documents on position and visiblity requirements as a guide. Its position is still not completely legal but the yard entry prevents me from doing anything else. Because of its position the signal is non operational (phew!). The gantry itself is scratch built from evergreen strip. The ladder is mix of an MSE ladder and with the safety cage built from brass strip. The signal heads and theatre indicators are 3D prints I had done by Shapeways a couple of years ago, they were designed to have LED's fitted and I have enough spares for the Platform signals which will be operational and are next on the build list.

First photos are of the signal heads and Theatre Indicators as recieved from Shapeways, not fettled, just given a quick coat of primer so they photograph.

post-1359-0-21076500-1408607644.jpg

post-1359-0-13346800-1408607986.jpg

Second two are of the finished gantry. The signal reference number we know would be Three Bridges, but the number is made up.

post-1359-0-16041600-1408607836.jpg

post-1359-0-82886900-1408607846.jpg

Finally planted on the layout.

post-1359-0-64183000-1408607859.jpg

post-1359-0-86074500-1408607867.jpg

Edited by kipford
  • Like 16