Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

Truly superb modelling - I used to live just off London Road in the mid 80's and this brings back some fond memories. Thank you.

As an aside, it would be very interesting to see the technique used by Mrs Dave for the buddlea. I have tried making them for my 3rd rail layout set in Sheppey, but cannot make them look convincing - they were such a dominant feature of the lineside yet there appear to be no commercial offerings, so we all have to make our own. I am trying to represent late summer, early Autumn, but I guess yours will be spring/summer judging by the rest of the flora?

PS - Very best of luck at DEMU!

Edited by Mike Storey

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Sneak preview, will be interested in opinions, we think they are a good compromise? They are made from a Seafoam base. The leaves are noch green leaves mixed with edible weathering powders, Chris my wife has lots of them for sugar paste flowers, to get them to a colour that more represents the prototype. The flowers are some scatter I bought from Carrs about 15 years ago. We have about 40 of these in different sizes to add to the layout. The pictures are a bit cruel as you view them from a further distance away. They will be planted with the stem of the Seafoam in a hole in the baseboard both individually and in multiples.

post-1359-0-79711200-1400847587.jpg

post-1359-0-43424700-1400847349.jpg

• Like 16

Dave,

Love the buddleia - never seen them modelled and they are such a feature of the urban railway landscape!

They b****rs grow from everywhere. especially slightly neglected brickeork or railway land.  If you want some prototype inspirations I will take some pictures from my daily commute of the viaducts coming into London Bridge.  There are plenty of views to choose from and there seems precious little chance that Network Rail will elect to do any preventative maintenance on them!

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Love the buddleia - never seen them modelled and they are such a feature of the urban railway landscape!

They b****rs grow from everywhere. especially slightly neglected brickeork or railway land.  If you want some prototype inspirations I will take some pictures from my daily commute of the viaducts coming into London Bridge.  There are plenty of views to choose from and there seems precious little chance that Network Rail will elect to do any preventative maintenance on them!

I think environmental legislation is at "fault" rather than NR. In the good old days, BR was able to get Chipmans to spray all sorts of noxious goodies to combat undergrowth, which, allied to local P Way gangs and their scythes etc kept the railway pretty clean. No longer possible.

The setting.

My son is at university in Brighton and the old Kemp Town branch cropped up, with its terminus setting in a chalk cutting.

The chalk cutting for many years just contained a railway house that was occupied by Brighton driver Peter French. I was given to understand that there could be no development on the land until Peter sold the house and moved. I believe he finally accepted a very reasonable offer and it was only then that the buildings used by Plumbase, Hayden etc could be developed. I guess this was early/mid 90's but may have been later.

Mike

Sneak preview, will be interested in opinions, we think they are a good compromise? They are made from a Seafoam base. The leaves are noch green leaves mixed with edible weathering powders, Chris my wife has lots of them for sugar paste flowers, to get them to a colour that more represents the prototype. The flowers are some scatter I bought from Carrs about 15 years ago. We have about 40 of these in different sizes to add to the layout. The pictures are a bit cruel as you view them from a further distance away. They will be planted with the stem of the Seafoam in a hole in the baseboard both individually and in multiples.

attachicon.gifDSC00938rm.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00946rm.jpg

Many thanks Dave

The colour of the leaves is far better than mine. For mine, I cut out the leaves individually (2 hours to make just one) and paint sprayed them before applying the flowers, as I could not find any on the market that looked right, but these Noch leaves seem to be just the ticket. Using weathering powder (edible or otherwise) is not something I had thought of for colouring them - nice idea! The purple scatter for the flowers is the same method I used, and there were also creamy white flowers on a minority, which tended to grow only in certain parts of yards, if you want variety. In the distance, these creamy ones could often be confused for japanese knot weed (when part of dense undergrowth), which would make our hearts sink, until we looked closer. A view later when you have clumped a few together will be a must!

Congratulations to Chris!

• RMweb Gold

Its a wrap! Well as far as scenics go. We planted the buddleia and people this aftenoon, so the next few days will be spent getting it running again. We promised some photos of the wild weed so here they are:

post-1359-0-22136500-1400955751.jpg

post-1359-0-80350700-1400955758.jpg

post-1359-0-20255800-1400955772.jpg

post-1359-0-57654200-1400955790.jpg

Plus one of terraces and their gardens, excuse the leaves on the road , they will be removed.

post-1359-0-12826200-1400955819.jpg

Thanks for all the positive comments they are very much appreciated. See you all DEMU

Edited by kipford
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

As with others on here, I to live in brighton and have to say you've captured the atmosphere perfectly, particularly with your brightly coloured terraced houses which are an essential part of any Brighton skyline.

Keep it up!

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Having focussed previously on the buddlea, I missed that group of Network Rail guys in their Captain Kernow orange superhero costumes. That is a brilliant cameo and would definitely qualify for the models that look like the real thing thread.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic looking layout and the Buddlea look great.

I don't know Brighton very well, only been there a couple of times, but certainly looks like Brighton to me!

Shame I can't get to DEMU to see myself.

Do you have anymore shows planned for the year?

• RMweb Gold

Richard

Brighton has done our club exhibition as a layout under construction and the EXPO EM skills day back in March, but DEMU is effectively its proper debut. From the EXPO skills day though we do have two invites. Southampton in January 2015 and EXPO EM 2016, nothing particulary near Barnstaple though!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Richard

Brighton has done our club exhibition as a layout under construction and the EXPO EM skills day back in March, but DEMU is effectively its proper debut. From the EXPO skills day though we do have two invites. Southampton in January 2015 and EXPO EM 2016, nothing particulary near Barnstaple though!

Dave

Dave, I'll have to be content with following here then for the time-being .... shame as I would like to see in the flesh at some point ....