Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

• RMweb Premium

Hope Andy does not mind but two photos as a taster of what he took, the rest will have to wait until the article:

Caroline in full glory, then the station platform building, with detail I forgot was there!

attachicon.gifFeature_11rm.jpg

attachicon.gifDetail_9rm.jpg

Just fell over this thread, what a great layout!

When and where are you going to exhibit this masterpiece next?

Vecchio

• RMweb Gold

Hope you don't mind, I've sharpened that second picture slightly to bring out some detail and have got rid of the wiring in that window. 

I have no objection, but It is Andy you really need to ask! But it does improve the picture.

Mike

Laser cut to my design by Jonathan Buckie at Clockwork models. I can arrange to get some made if you want?

Thanks Dave - I was hoping you had found some off the shelf!! I can get them made by York Modelmakers, who have indicated they would be able to do it. I have the dimensions and pictures but have yet to turn these into specs and drawings that they will need. Your use of these is inspiring me into action!

Having seen the hard copy print yesterday, you had to do a double take to check it wasnt a picture of the real thing. On the print the vegetation on the cliff face looks just like the real thing. Well done Daave for the modelling and Andy Y for such brilliant pictures.

Edited by drduncan

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Thanks a lot - you are quite busy next year. Will pencil Newbury into my diary...

Vecchio

Bother - on the 11th of February (Newbury) is also Milton Keynes MRS.... cannot miss that as I am club member...

Will try to come to Guildford in January instead.

Vecchio

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

the vegetation around the tunnel and the embankment is just incredible - could I ask how you achieved such an amazing result? 

First you need photographs of the area or a similar area to what you want to model. If you try and make it up it tends to look like what it is 'a model'. The photographs will show the range of colour and texture you need to try and replicate. The same comment applies to weathering stock, always work from a photograph. 

How did we do it? The picture below shows the base scenic materials used. The base foliage was glued in place with PVA and left to dry. The subsequent layers were in the main stuck with acrylic varnish from a spray can, supplemented by the odd bits using extra strong hairspray. The highlighting with acrylic washes was carried out last.

post-1359-0-91981900-1486974829_thumb.jpg

Edited by kipford
  • Like 8

First you need photographs of the area or a similar area to what you want to model. If you try and make it up it tends to look like what it is 'a model'. The photographs will show the range of colour and texture you need to try an replicate. The same comment applies to weathering stock, always work from a photograph. 

How did we do it? The picture below shows the base scenic materials used. The base foliage was glued in place with PVA and left to dry. The subsequent layers were in the main stuck with acrylic varnish from a spray supplemented by the odd bits using extra strong hairspray. The highlighting with acrylic washes was carried out last.

attachicon.gifCliff Face Vegitation 1.jpg

But you haven't mentioned Mrs Kipford's exceedingly good weeds!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw the layout at Guildford earlier this year - and I was not only impressed by the look - who follows the thread will know how it looks anyway - the photos in the thread were all of excellent quality -  but I was very impressed by the schedule. There was not a moment where nothing was happening, and this is what is important during a show! And they were running their layout even when I asked a few questions. :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

We always keep running when being asked questions. Some times it leads to the odd mistakes, mainly running into points when they are against you, but we enjoy the audience interaction. So Basingstoke next!

Edited by kipford

First you need photographs of the area or a similar area to what you want to model. If you try and make it up it tends to look like what it is 'a model'. The photographs will show the range of colour and texture you need to try and replicate. The same comment applies to weathering stock, always work from a photograph. 

How did we do it? The picture below shows the base scenic materials used. The base foliage was glued in place with PVA and left to dry. The subsequent layers were in the main stuck with acrylic varnish from a spray can, supplemented by the odd bits using extra strong hairspray. The highlighting with acrylic washes was carried out last.

attachicon.gifCliff Face Vegitation 1.jpg

This is really helpful, thanks very much for taking the trouble to explain in such detail. I absolutely agree with you on working from photographs, especially with scenics and weathering. You've done a superb job here, possibly the most realistic railway scenery work I've seen so far.

But you haven't mentioned Mrs Kipford's exceedingly good weeds!!

I am very obviously a child of the 70s, because my mind went somewhere completely different from this comment.

Exceptional modeling, this is one of the layouts here that I always look to for inspiration on how to create a believable scene.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Brighton East in BRM? I wasn't aware. I only tend to buy it when there's something of interest. That will be this month then! Congrats on the feature, I'll look forward to reading it.