Wrenn N Gauge Class 86

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Tonight St.Keyne Wishing Well Halt (My N gauge layout) has been on it's travels!

Knowing she was making at appearance at my mate's Terry brought along his collection of early N gauge locos and rolling stock.

Amongst this were two well out of scale N gauge Lima Deltics-one green the other blue and a Wrenn N gauge Class 86 in blue, white cab roofs and window surrounds and a Lion and wheel emblem on her side. The clear plastic tray has a number 209 on the end and the loco has the running number E3185. The lid to the packaging is missing also.

None of these locos had ever run before either. I realise this Class 86 was made by Lima but any more info on the loco. Terry has given me the loco, but I personally have no use for it on Cornish based layouts!

Is it worth trying to sell her on ebay? I realise Dapol's Class 86 may have put the mockers on such an elderly model.

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers.

Mark

The Lima Class 86 (sometimes described as an 81 due to a Lima listing error) is not particularly unusual unless it is one of the very late models with the revised drive (fixed motor with drive shaft in place of a motor bogie) or very early in Wrenn packaging. Though it was the first British loco in their range it turned out to be the closest to scale at least in loading gauge, though it is closer to 1:160 for length. They do still sell, but don't expect much and make sure your postage is covered as they will come in the dearest band for thickness.

The Lima Deltic is much to tall and wide, but is the correct length for 1:148 scale. The main reason for it's excessive cross-section was the fact that it used the same motor bogie as the Brush type 2 so the Deltic nose is about the same height as the body of the Brush, then the cab was on top of that! The width was needed to allow for the swing of the long motor bogie. Body grille detail is actually a lot better than the Farish.

A very early one in Wrenn packaging was on Ebay about three weeks ago, I posted a link to the thread on Wrenn collectors' prices that was running at the time; it looked interesting, but I too have no need for one. It came with two Lima MkIs in a train pack box.

Nonetheless I was somewhat surprised when it only fetched £33, when I thought even its obscurity might have propelled it to a higher sale price than this.

My first responce would be to say bin the bloomin' thing.... anything lima IMO is a pain in the rear end if you're going to run it.

HOWEVER, not all of my advice is negative.

try and sell it on ebay following what those guys have said, these are of sellable value, and it is not uncommon for a Good condition unboxed one to go for £20-25.

and think about it, £25 quid is half a new farish pannier tank thereabouts :P

There has been a shed load of Lima class 86s on Ebay in the recent weeks, In the region of 2 dozen at least I would say.

They have been selling in the £20 to £30 price range with £22 being the average.

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Many thanks for all of your replies.

I've just checked the motor and it's a pancake style one-so no central drive.

So on to to ebay she will go. Might get another Farish EWS Monster Box out of her sale by the sounds of things then.

Cheers once again.

Mark

Archived