Class 504 Bury Units

1 hour ago, Wagonmaster said:

Progress has been a bit slow on the 504's of late. They are all painted and at the transfer stage. This is where the problem is.

I tried using Fox Transfers yellow lining. The 0.75mm line at waist level doesn't sit well across the moulded detail of the Replica Railways body, mainly the door knobs, hand grabs and bump stops. I've tried using some MicroSol, but that hasn't helped. Anybody got any ideas?

No, the lining does not really sit down flat on the door handles. I applied the waist lining in several individual lengths, accurately measuring the distance between each of the door handle/handgrabs (I think it was around 22mm),  and it does look alright, well to my eye anyway, Certainly better than the lining going over the door handles. 

You can see how this look in the 3rd photo in my post of Jan. 26 2020.

Edited by philsandy
add

7 hours ago, philsandy said:

No, the lining does not really sit down flat on the door handles. I applied the waist lining in several individual lengths, accurately measuring the distance between each of the door handle/handgrabs (I think it was around 22mm),  and it does look alright, well to my eye anyway, Certainly better than the lining going over the door handles. 

You can see how this look in the 3rd photo in my post of Jan. 26 2020.

Thanks for your reply philsandy. I've had a look back over your post and photographs and it does look fine done that way. Certainly better than my attempt, which is truly atrocious!

For some reason I thought the lining was yellow,  but you and various photographs have used cream. Thought something didn't look quite right!

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress on my Class 504 Bury units. Having finally sorted out the lining issue (thanks to philsandy), the bodies have been lined, numbered and other text applied. Now, these units are in 'as built' condition. As such, both cars have the carriage roundal. They also don't have the 'M' suffix, this seems to have appeared about the same time as the small yellow warning panels.

Obviously the underframes still need to be finished. Interior painting and glazing are next. However, it seems Replica Railways are out of stock of their suburban glazing at the moment! Doh! Still, plenty to do in the meantime.

Class-504-Painted.gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
Reinstating photo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the 504's. The interiors have been painted and the cab ends glazed. Lights are being fitted, but there is a query.

The headcodes in the centre window seem to be of an unusual font. What have people used for this? Any suggestions gratefully received.

I don't know what font it is. I found some images of the headcodes on line somewhere and used those. Had to fiddle about with them using MS Paint program to get them right size etc. If you can download images below you might find them useful. Obviously the B and 8 need to be closer together on the first one.

70%post-6784-0-79615900-1328909373-42%.jpg

70%post-6784-0-79615900-1328909373-42%rn.jpg

• Like 2

On 05/05/2021 at 23:31, Wagonmaster said:

A bit more progress on my Class 504 Bury units. Having finally sorted out the lining issue (thanks to philsandy), the bodies have been lined, numbered and other text applied. Now, these units are in 'as built' condition. As such, both cars have the carriage roundal. They also don't have the 'M' suffix, this seems to have appeared about the same time as the small yellow warning panels.

Class-504-Painted.gif

Obviously the underframes still need to be finished. Interior painting and glazing are next. However, it seems Replica Railways are out of stock of their suburban glazing at the moment! Doh! Still, plenty to do in the meantime.

Replica have been out of the glazing for several years.

I think there is a problem with the production process, however they may at some stage be able to supply again, obviously someone used to be able to make them!

John.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the 504's. Glazing around the cab area has been done, but the rest of the car needs glazing. I phoned Replica Railways about the glazing and they confirmed there was a problem with the tool. However, it is being fixed and they hope to start production shortly.

Interiors are being made and painted and the lights will be wired up shortly.

20210601_232552.jpg

Edited by Wagonmaster
Reinstating photo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 6 months later...

Wow! That takes me back, although I never saw the units in green livery, only in BR corporate blue and later GM orange,brown and white, before they were swept away with the coming of the Metrolink.

Strangely enough I stumbled across some 3D printed body shells for this class last night on shapeways.com whilst looking for C&HPR water tenders!

Nice build!

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Wow! That takes me back, although I never saw the units in green livery, only in BR corporate blue and later GM orange,brown and white, before they were swept away with the coming of the Metrolink.

Strangely enough I stumbled across some 3D printed body shells for this class last night on shapeways.com whilst looking for C&HPR water tenders!

Nice build!

Steve S

Funny I was a bit on the young side for green, 40106 and some lingering class 20’s…

But also a Green class 504…

There was a burnt 504 carriage at Stoke Cockshute for nearly a decade into the early 1980’s.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments Steve S.  I have a confession to make, I never saw them in green either! It's just that my modelling period is early/mid '60's.

I think the Shapeways version you saw may be the Recreation 21 model. Looks about right and certainly saves a lot of cutting and shutting. The only thing is the printing material used, if it's the same as I have had before, has a bit of a hard grainy finish and needs a lot of work to get smooth.

• Informative/Useful 1