Cropper Street.....the Dock Street replacement layout..

Gilbert

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2021 at 08:09, 37114 said:

Thanks for flagging Chris, I have 2 class 31s for Parsons Vale which is laid with BH, I don't recall shorting when I tested the layout but it has seen so little use I had better get the layout out. Might have to try your varnish trick

Rob

I think the problem is particularly noticeable with DCC sound as it causes the sound to stop/restart

DC and possibly stealth DCC may not be an issue.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cropper Street Sidings is invited to Thornbury in November so I decided to work out how to show it!. The wooden framework in the photo was made for Penmaenbach and sits on Screwfix trestles. An extra longitudinal strut and it also works for CSS...result..

52289798739_1a7122f2a4_z.jpg

Chris H

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well- that went surprisingly well...

I confess I am much cheered by the amount of hard work NOT required to transport and assemble/breakdown Cropper Street. I think even "liter" options are possible - the right side FY was effectively redundant. The layout would also lend itself well to a table top presentation as I did with Dock Street - so no trestles and frame to move around. I also took 4 stock boxes but 2 would have sufficed - I may need to get another 08 however as it proved popular..and the operation was decent as well. We used the wagon card shunting puzzle - and it kept us busy - the additional cement siding also contributed to the general problems...

52510794843_96a19ceddf_z.jpg

52509773782_6c9a1c5c7d_z.jpg

52509774057_d2300cc573_z.jpg

52510728915_e6c68e3bd4_z.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Having had the chance to look over Cropper Street, I can confirm that it's delightful. 

A terrific little layout which adds to the idea that you do not need a large and complex layout to both enjoy and entertaiin. 

Usual high standard of finish not only to the modelling side of things but also to the presentation, oft overlooked but certainly not in this case. 

A lovely layout, Chris. 

Rob 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It is an Inglenook with cards but we allow extra wagons as the cement siding gets included (informally - any "cement" related wagons can be stored there  or may start there.)

We only need about 12 wagons but I take far more than I need - we do get the odd failure.

I take loads of locos but we ended up using an 08 and a 24 for most of the time. I have a BR black 1F which also proved very reliable after I started playing with it before opening time on day 2. ( I did take the BR yellow vans off at that point in an attempt to keep eras protypical...)

A Class 40 and a Class 20 also featured but longer locos seemed to have the odd issue with the Kadee magnet on the cement siding...the solution is to ensure another wagon is between the loco and the wagon being shunted but it took us a while to work that out!

Bottom line is I could take far less than I do....but I was happy I'd taken a couple of NCE Powercabs as one let me down first thing on Saturday...phew

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, sb67 said:

Thanks Chris, I'm sure I'll over do the stock I take, I've a couple of Hornby sentinels that I'd like to use, are they reliable over the course of a day? 

I have a PBA #39  version - bit of a geographical leap - it worked well but I confess it is fitted with a stay-alive..courtesy of John at Digitrains..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2022 at 18:15, Gilbert said:

Well- that went surprisingly well...

I confess I am much cheered by the amount of hard work NOT required to transport and assemble/breakdown Cropper Street. I think even "liter" options are possible - the right side FY was effectively redundant. The layout would also lend itself well to a table top presentation as I did with Dock Street - so no trestles and frame to move around. I also took 4 stock boxes but 2 would have sufficed - I may need to get another 08 however as it proved popular..and the operation was decent as well. We used the wagon card shunting puzzle - and it kept us busy - the additional cement siding also contributed to the general problems...

52510794843_96a19ceddf_z.jpg

52509773782_6c9a1c5c7d_z.jpg

52509774057_d2300cc573_z.jpg

52510728915_e6c68e3bd4_z.jpg

Hi Chris

I'm pleased it all went well for you at Thornbury.

A bit to far to travel from Stafford at the present fuel prices, and to make things worse I tested positive for covid last Friday, which also means having to cancel Camel Quay appearing at Warley this year.

Not a happy bunny 🐇

I love the layout as I did Dock Street so with the inspiration of your postings I have packed away Camel Quay this morning (next outing York in 2023)

So time to start a new project or two.

Question re the cement tower just before the bridge, I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that the wagons went under the tower for filling ?

When and where are you exhibiting one of your layouts next ?

All the best.

Terry 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Question re the cement tower just before the bridge, I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that the wagons went under the tower for filling ?

When and where are you exhibiting one of your layouts next ?

All the best.

Terry 

Hi Terry

My understanding is that the cement was pumped up from trackside and a lorry would go under the silo for loading - but as you can see mine would not work! It simply gives a hint of the industry served by the siding...

In terms of imminent future outings for my trainsets:

12.2.23 Monmouth Lockdown Fen 4mm

18.2.23 Yate Lockdown Fen 4mm

25-26.3.23 MIOG Crewe Bakewell Street 7mm (possible)

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris 

I wondered if that would be the way the cement tower worked, perhaps someone can confirm ?

If it does it helps me with a plan I have in mind, adaption of the Shelfie layout.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything on Lockdown Fen, neither Bakewell Street is this your venture into 7mm

Cheers 

Terry 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Hi Chris 

I wondered if that would be the way the cement tower worked, perhaps someone can confirm ?

If it does it helps me with a plan I have in mind, adaption of the Shelfie layout.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything on Lockdown Fen, neither Bakewell Street is this your venture into 7mm

Cheers 

Terry 

Here you go:

I've got an MRJ article somewhere  called the Buccolic Silo which I'll dig out - hopefully it will tell us...

Lockdown is due in RM in March

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2022 at 14:14, Gilbert said:

Here you go:

I've got an MRJ article somewhere  called the Buccolic Silo which I'll dig out - hopefully it will tell us...

Lockdown is due in RM in March

Yes please 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cropper Street has a number of invites for 2024 - details to follow soon...

It is also possiby in Railway Modeller in May next year to coincide with the return of StowRail - also more details to follow soon...

Chris

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

......and will now be making an unanticipated guest appearance at SWAG in Taunton (aka SheepyRail) on 28 April

and....

Ross on Wye (August 17/18)

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2024/26766-RotaryClubofRossonWye_Exhibition

and...

the already advertised StowRail on 19 May...where there will be cake.....lots of cake....

http://www.stowrail.org.uk/

Chris H

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, luke the train spotter said:

A great article, the photos have captured the layout really well. 

Thanks

Ian always does a good job - a friend commented that the photos  were so good you could not tell what scale the layout is - an interesting thought...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2024 at 13:41, Gilbert said:

Cropper Street is featured in the new Railway Modeller  (May 2024)

58 minutes ago, chesterfield said:

Waiting I am

Cropper Street is also one of the star attractions at the SWAG Rmweb members day in a weeks time. 

Rob. 

• Like 2