Jump to content

Green Yellow Panel, Western Region Class 37's surviving into late '69 and 1970


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Leyburn Kid said:

I've got a sneaking feeling I've seen a picture of this. Thanks once again for a very detailed post.

For me, there is a 'Holy Grail' DMU photo, that has yet to surface.

.

 W55025 [CTN101] and W55026 [CTN102] were removed from the  Bridgend - Cymmer Afan  service to be used as 'boosters' on the North & West Route, which saw most through loco hauled trains diverted via Birmingham or axed  and replaced by buffet fitted Swindon Cross Country sets from May, 1970. So Park Royal, Class 103 sets M50413+56168 and M50414+56169 were transferred to Canton from Chester in May 1970.

The Park Royal sets were split, and the two power cars  formed into a 'power twin' as set CTN100 whilst  the trailers were stored, at Canton..

.

I did see the Park Royal 'power twin' set working back ECS to Canton in 1970, but I have yet to see a photo of it working the Cymmer Afan service...........................

.

They only lasted a month on the Cymmer turns, being reformed and transferred to reading from 7th June.

.

Any takers ?

.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I am fairly sure that the Park Royal units were sent to Reading because they were useless on gradients.  They were used on our branch where they couldn't keep time in the Down direction because of the gradient - a short stretch of 1 in 101!

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The centre of my then trainspotting universe, captured by unknown photographers between 1965 and 1967...............................

.

Now, it's covered in three-storey townhouses.

Radyr-180667-1.jpg

Radyr-180667-2.jpg

15105-Radyr-xx0565.jpg

9548,9531,9513-Radyr-130366-mod.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I am fairly sure that the Park Royal units were sent to Reading because they were useless on gradients.  They were used on our branch where they couldn't keep time in the Down direction because of the gradient - a short stretch of 1 in 101!


A bit off topic but......I can’t help thinking this reason is a little odd given they would have had the same power equipment, slightly less weight and slightly lower seating capacity than the pair of 121s? Also the lack of two cabs per unit, non suburban seating arrangement and gangway connection (LMS style) would suggest that unless they were clapped out mechanically or bodywork wise, they would have been a better bet for passengers and virtually no different operationally. 

 

They certainly didn’t seem to perform any worse during their nearly 10 years around Birmingham in their earlier days than any other DMU and were certainly amongst the most comfortable to travel in - which they continued to demonstrate on the Cambrian lines. 
 

Perhaps Reading had greater need for 2 car units. 


Sorry to show my ignorance but are those superb 60s shed photos at Radyr? 

Edited by MidlandRed
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Sorry to show my ignorance but are those superb 60s shed photos at Radyr? 

 

Where else .................... ?

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2021 at 12:04, The Stationmaster said:

I am fairly sure that the Park Royal units were sent to Reading because they were useless on gradients.  

 

Given the second part of their builder's name, should they not have been reserved for the Slough/Windsor branch ?!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

I’m quite surprised to see the number of D95xx there - were they a feature at most of the S Wales depots and stabling points in that era? 

This may give an idea of  the two dozen remaining local Cl.14 diagrams in 1967.

 

Cl.14 Trip workings  - South Wales, Summer 1967.

 

86A Canton outbased, Newport Ebbw Jct.
(i) Uskmouth Branch trips incl. Uskmouth Power Station
(ii) Bedwas Colliery & Trethomas Coke Ovens.

.

Outbased Pontypool Rd.
(iii) Abergavenny trips
(iv) Glascoed (ROF) trips

.

Outbased Aberbeeg
(v)  Aberbeeg trips pilot
(vi) Aberbeeg banker 

.

Outbased Severn Tunnel Jct.
(vii) Chepstow and Tintern Quarry

.

86A Canton
(i)   Cardiff area - Barry, Barry Docks & Radyr Yd.
(ii)  Cardiff area - Ely Paper Mill, Newtown Yard/Long Dyke & Radyr Yard
(iii) Cardiff area - Penarth Town & Penarth Cement Works.

.
Outbased Abercynon
(iv) Trips to Lady Windsor Colliery (Ynysybwl)

.
Outbased Aberdare
(v)  Trips to Mountain Ash
(vi) Trips to Abercwmboi Phurnacite Plant

.
Outbased Barry
(vii) Trips to Aberthaw

.
Outbased Radyr
(viii) Trips to Aber Jct (via Taffs Well)
(ix)  Trips to Cathays, Gabalfa Coal Yd. and Stanton & Staveley Ltd.
(x)   Trips to Treforest, Pontypridd & Maritime Colliery

.
Outbased Treherbert
(xi) Trips Rhondda Valley

.

87E Landore outbased Margam
(i)   Trips to Glyncorrwg
(ii)  Trips to Cymmer (Afan)
(iii) Trips to Swansea Eastern Depot

.

87E Landore
(i) Landore Steelworks and trips to Margam / Neath

.
Outbased Swansea Eastern Depot
(ii) Trips to Felin Fran & Mond Nickel
(ii) Swansea Eastern depot Control, duties as required.

.

Brian R
 

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

 

Given the second part of their builder's name, should they not have been reserved for the Slough/Windsor branch ?!!

 

I don't know if they were although they certainly got onto the Marlow branch. 

16 hours ago, MidlandRed said:


A bit off topic but......I can’t help thinking this reason is a little odd given they would have had the same power equipment, slightly less weight and slightly lower seating capacity than the pair of 121s? Also the lack of two cabs per unit, non suburban seating arrangement and gangway connection (LMS style) would suggest that unless they were clapped out mechanically or bodywork wise, they would have been a better bet for passengers and virtually no different operationally. 

 

They certainly didn’t seem to perform any worse during their nearly 10 years around Birmingham in their earlier days than any other DMU and were certainly amongst the most comfortable to travel in - which they continued to demonstrate on the Cambrian lines. 
 

Perhaps Reading had greater need for 2 car units. 


Sorry to show my ignorance but are those superb 60s shed photos at Radyr? 

I don't know if they were clapped out (unlikely given regular engine changes on DMUs) and they were lighter than the Pressed Steel cars but they didn't have the oomph - for whatever reason and  they definitely weren't as reliable but then Reading knew teh Pressed Steel cars inside out and had long got the measure of them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Move the modelling period on to 1974, then you can do weird stuff like this!........

1210380974_740330_37232Swindon.jpg.2a6bb53a67323e3ac6c756acb4500d2d.jpg

[Terrible camera - had bought a better one for.....]

753399414_750613_37292SwindonSP.jpg.a764ed1330437d59c1cbbe3637a71fca.jpg

At least they'd look different to everyone else's 37s....... :derisive: !

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2021 at 13:46, br2975 said:

This may give an idea of  the two dozen remaining local Cl.14 diagrams in 1967.

 

Cl.14 Trip workings  - South Wales, Summer 1967.

 

86A Canton outbased, Newport Ebbw Jct.
(i) Uskmouth Branch trips incl. Uskmouth Power Station
(ii) Bedwas Colliery & Trethomas Coke Ovens.

.

Outbased Pontypool Rd.
(iii) Abergavenny trips
(iv) Glascoed (ROF) trips

.

Outbased Aberbeeg
(v)  Aberbeeg trips pilot
(vi) Aberbeeg banker 

.

Outbased Severn Tunnel Jct.
(vii) Chepstow and Tintern Quarry

.

86A Canton
(i)   Cardiff area - Barry, Barry Docks & Radyr Yd.
(ii)  Cardiff area - Ely Paper Mill, Newtown Yard/Long Dyke & Radyr Yard
(iii) Cardiff area - Penarth Town & Penarth Cement Works.

.
Outbased Abercynon
(iv) Trips to Lady Windsor Colliery (Ynysybwl)

.
Outbased Aberdare
(v)  Trips to Mountain Ash
(vi) Trips to Abercwmboi Phurnacite Plant

.
Outbased Barry
(vii) Trips to Aberthaw

.
Outbased Radyr
(viii) Trips to Aber Jct (via Taffs Well)
(ix)  Trips to Cathays, Gabalfa Coal Yd. and Stanton & Staveley Ltd.
(x)   Trips to Treforest, Pontypridd & Maritime Colliery

.
Outbased Treherbert
(xi) Trips Rhondda Valley

.

87E Landore outbased Margam
(i)   Trips to Glyncorrwg
(ii)  Trips to Cymmer (Afan)
(iii) Trips to Swansea Eastern Depot

.

87E Landore
(i) Landore Steelworks and trips to Margam / Neath

.
Outbased Swansea Eastern Depot
(ii) Trips to Felin Fran & Mond Nickel
(ii) Swansea Eastern depot Control, duties as required.

.

Brian R
 

Hi Brian. Which locos took over these diagrams? Were they all C.37s?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leyburn Kid said:

Hi Brian. Which locos took over these diagrams? Were they all C.37s?

From memory, and without recourse to my records...........

 

86A Canton outbased, Newport Ebbw Jct.
(i) Uskmouth Branch trips incl. Uskmouth Power Station - Not sure, but 5yrs later, 9E61 was worked by  'Falcon'
(ii) Bedwas Colliery & Trethomas Coke Ovens. - Class 37

.

Outbased Pontypool Rd.
(iii) Abergavenny trips - Class 37, then Class 25
(iv) Glascoed (ROF) trips  - Class 37, then Class 25

.

Outbased Aberbeeg
(v)  Aberbeeg trips pilot Cl.37 ??
(vi) Aberbeeg banker - Cl.37, duties possibly combined ??

.

Outbased Severn Tunnel Jct.
(vii) Chepstow and Tintern Quarry - Cl.35 then Cl.25 then Cl.37

.

86A Canton
(i)   Cardiff area - Barry, Barry Docks & Radyr Yd. duty ended with freight reorganisation, or Cl.37
(ii)  Cardiff area - Ely Paper Mill, Newtown Yard/Long Dyke & Radyr Yard - Became a Radyr based Cl.08 duty , but cut out Long Dyke / Newtown which was served by a Cl.37 duty
(iii) Cardiff area - Penarth Town & Penarth Cement Works. - Cl.08 until the works closed circa 1970

.
Outbased Abercynon
(iv) Trips to Lady Windsor Colliery (Ynysybwl) - duty ended with freight reorganisation

.
Outbased Aberdare
(v)  Trips to Mountain Ash - duty ended with freight reorganisation
(vi) Trips to Abercwmboi Phurnacite Plant - duty ended with freight reorganisation, but a Cl.08 would trip as and when

.
Outbased Barry
(vii) Trips to Aberthaw - Cl.37 included banking.

.
Outbased Radyr
(viii) Trips to Aber Jct (via Taffs Well) - yard closed,  duty ended with freight reorganisation
(ix)  Trips to Cathays, Gabalfa Coal Yd. and Stanton & Staveley Ltd. -  Cl.08
(x)   Trips to Treforest, Pontypridd & Maritime Colliery - Cl.08

.
Outbased Treherbert
(xi) Trips Rhondda Valley - duty ended with freight reorganisation, covered by Radyr Cl.37

.

87E Landore outbased Margam
(i)   Trips to Glyncorrwg - Cl.08 from Cymmer  until closure in 1970
(ii)  Trips to Cymmer (Afan) - Cl.37 until closure in 1970
(iii) Trips to Swansea Eastern Depot - Probably Cl.37, but not confirmed.

.

87E Landore
(i) Landore Steelworks and trips to Margam / Neath - duty may have ended with freight reorganisation

.
Outbased Swansea Eastern Depot
(ii) Trips to Felin Fran & Mond Nickel - Cl.37 from May 1969
(ii) Swansea Eastern depot Control, duties as required. - Cl.37 from May 1969

.

Brian R

.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Brian; I'm fairly certain that Landore foundry, along with the Morriston branch, were served by an East Depot 08 duty. There were no connections to the branch from the mainline.

Your comments are confirmed by this image Brian.

.

There was a Morriston / Felin Fran Cl.08 tripper that worked five days a week, serving Geo. Cohen's scrapyard at the old Beaufort Works and Felin Fran coal depot (on the District line ?) 

.

(D)3827 works the branch to Morriston, 13th. October, 1971 - with Landore Foundry products in the first few wagons.

(Photographer unknown)

.

The second image, by Ray Evans, shows 6973 at the Duffryn Tinplate Works, Morriston in September, 1970....shunting the 'regulation' Shocvans.

.

Brian R

3827-Morriston Branch-130171.jpg

6973-Duffryn Tinplate Works,Morriston-xx0970-Ray Evans.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2021 at 22:31, Phil Bullock said:
On 27/04/2021 at 22:18, Leyburn Kid said:

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. After seeing your reply, I've managed to locate one of the Cl.47s on the Waterston tanks. It's a picture of an incredibly dirty 1912 running through Shrub Hill on 31st July 1970. That fits in nicely with your post about 69-70.


Many thanks Tony. Would be interested in a look at that photo ... is it somewhere accessible please? 

Hi Phil. Going through some old rail mags from this era, I've managed to find another location for that picture of 1912 on the Waterston tanks. It's also in Railway Magazine, March 1971, p149. Hope this is helpful.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Something that may be of interest;

.

WARNING !

 ( Those of a certain age, and easily saddened, may wish to look away now )

.

South Wales allocations as at 31/12/68

.

86A Cardiff, Canton. ( 192 )                                                                                                         

1584, 1585, 1586, 1588, 1589, 1590, 1591, 1592, 1593, 1595, 1597, 1598, 1599, 1603, 1605, 1606, 1752, 1753, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1924, 1936,                                                                                         

3256, 3257, 3258, 3259, 3260, 3261, 3262, 3263, 3264, 3265, 3266, 3267, 3357, 3358, 3419, 3420, 3421, 3422, 3423, 3424, 3523, 3594, 3595, 3603, 3604, 3607, 3747, 3748, 3749, 3753, 3759, 3807, 3819, 3822, 4011, 4012, 4125, 4126, 4127, 4128, 4170, 4179,                                                                                                  

6600, 6601, 6602, 6603, 6604, 6875, 6876, 6878, 6879, 6885, 6886, 6906, 6907, 6908, 6909, 6913, 6921, 6938, 6941, 6943, 6944, 6954, 6955, 6956, 6957, 6958, 6969, 6970, 6971, 6972, 6973, 6974, 6975, 6976, 6977, 6978, 6979, 6980, 6981, 6982, 6984, 6985, 6986, 6987, 6988, 6989, 6990, 6991, 6992, 6993, 6994, 6995, 6996, 6997, 6998, 6999,                                               

7018, 7050, 7051, 7052, 7053, 7054, 7055, 7063, 7064, 7067, 7068, 7069. 7070, 7073, 7074, 7075, 7076, 7077, 7078, 7079, 7080, 7081, 7082, 7083, 7084, 7085, 7086, 7087, 7088, 7089, 7090, 7091, 7092, 7093, 7094, 7095, 7096, 7097, 7098, 7099,                                                                                                                       

9500, 9502, 9514, 9518, 9527, 9528, 9538,

 86B Newport, Ebbw Junction  ( 32 )                                                                                           

3102, 3103, 3104, 3188, 3189, 3190, 3809, 3810, 3811, 3812, 3813, 3814, 3815, 3816, 3817, 3818, 3820, 3821, 4171, 4172, 4173, 4174, 4175, 4176, 4177, 4178, 4180, 4181, 4182, 4183, 4184, 4185,

87A Swansea, Landore  ( 106 )                                                                                                       

1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1013, 1015, 1026, 1031, 1055, 1061, 1062, 1063, 1066, 1069,                                                                                                    

1596, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1604, 1643, 1644, 1645, 1646, 1647, 1651, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1667, 1668, 1669, 1678,                                      

2120, 2121, 2122, 2141, 2142, 2144, 2145,                                                                      

3195, 3196, 3268, 3356, 3515, 3593, 3605, 3606, 3743, 3744, 3758, 3760, 3804, 3823, 3825, 3826, 3827, 3828, 3829, 3830, 3986, 3987, 3998, 4001, 4002,                                   

6605, 6606, 6607, 6608, 6877, 6880, 6881, 6882, 6883, 6884, 6887, 6888, 6889, 6890, 6891, 6892, 6910, 6912, 6924, 6931, 6932, 6933, 6934, 6935,                                                                                    9521, 9524, 9536, 9555

87B Margam   ( 17 )                                                                                                                      

3429, 3430, 3431, 3432, 3433, 3434, 3435, 3436, 3437, 3438, 3520, 3596, 3745, 3746, 3808, 3824, 4027,

.

From the above list, the following were ‘fitted’ as follows.

Fitted dual AWS;                                                                                                                  

1013, 1015, 1025, 1031, 1062, 1063, 1066                                                                                                                           

1583-1599, 1600-1615, 1643, 1644, 1645, 1646, 1647, 1650, 1651, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1667, 1668, 1669, 1752, 1756, 1757, 1901-1907, 1909-1927, 1934, 1936,                                                                                                         

6600, 6603-6606, 6608, 6875-6892, 6913, 6921, 6924, 6932-6935, 6938, 6943, 6954-6958, 6970, 6977, 6981, 6982, 6984, 6985, 6987, 6989, 6992, 6996,                                                  

 Fitted dual brakes;                                                                                                                      

1013, 1015, 1025, 1031, 1062, 1063, 1066                                                                                                                         

1583, 1643, 1644, 1645, 1646, 1647, 1650, 1651, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1667, 1668, 1669, 1901-1907, 1909-1927, 1934, 1936,                   

6605, 6885, 6943, 6969, 6985, 6989                                                            

Fitted headlights;                                                                                                                     

6889, 6931- 6934                                                                                                                       

 Fitted radio telephone;                                                                                                            

2120, 2121, 2122, 2125                                                                                                          

3102, 3103, 3104, 3188, 3189, 3190, 3256-3266, 3419-3424, 3429-3438, 3809-3818, 3820, 3821, 3825-3830, 3986, 3987.                                                                             

Fitted with bell; (for Swansea Docks)                                                                                                               

2120, 2121, 2122,                                                                                                                 

 “Cut down cab” for B.P.G.V. working;                                                                                

2141, 2142, 2144, 2145                                                                                                                                   

Fitted snowplough brackets;                                                                                                       

3258, 3744, 3748, 3758, 3819, 3821

Edited by br2975
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2021 at 18:05, br2975 said:

Your comments are confirmed by this image Brian.

.

There was a Morriston / Felin Fran Cl.08 tripper that worked five days a week, serving Geo. Cohen's scrapyard at the old Beaufort Works and Felin Fran coal depot (on the District line ?) 

.

(D)3827 works the branch to Morriston, 13th. October, 1971 - with Landore Foundry products in the first few wagons.

(Photographer unknown)

.

The second image, by Ray Evans, shows 6973 at the Duffryn Tinplate Works, Morriston in September, 1970....shunting the 'regulation' Shocvans.

.

Brian R

3827-Morriston Branch-130171.jpg

6973-Duffryn Tinplate Works,Morriston-xx0970-Ray Evans.jpg

Thanks for posting those two views, Brian. They took me back to the period when I spent a lot of time in locations like that. Dad's firm did a lot of work for SCOW and RTB from the mid-1960s, converting redundant works into 'buffer stores' for tinplate. In those days, a lot of this was exported from Swansea Docks, so works at Burry (Llanelli), King's Dock, Queen's Dock and Duffryn were gutted, and given new concrete floors. The first conversions loaded vans from ground-level, but Duffryn was meant to use a platform, allowing forklifts to drive onto the wagons. However, this required vans with sliding doors, of which there were never enough; 'cupboard-door' vans were substituted, but the doors could not be moved at the platform. Thus the incoming train was stopped short of the platform, the doors secured open, then the propelling move would continue. The reverse occured with the movement of the loaded wagons.

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

 86B Newport, Ebbw Junction  ( 32 )                                                                                           

3102, 3103, 3104, 3188, 3189, 3190, 3809, 3810, 3811, 3812, 3813, 3814, 3815, 3816, 3817, 3818, 3820, 3821, 4171, 4172, 4173, 4174, 4175, 4176, 4177, 4178, 4180, 4181, 4182, 4183, 4184, 4185,

 

BY the time I started spotting at Oxford in 1971, two of those shunters (4171 and 4178) were part of 81F's fleet ! We only had 5 however, not 32...... Very different days then indeed, thanks for posting the info br2975. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, caradoc said:

 

BY the time I started spotting at Oxford in 1971, two of those shunters (4171 and 4178) were part of 81F's fleet ! We only had 5 however, not 32...... Very different days then indeed, thanks for posting the info br2975. 

 

 

Maybe replacing the one that disappeared ;)  Back c.1967 one of Oxford's 350s (08 to younger readers) apparently 'vanished' without trace and it took several weeks to find it -  I believe it had got to Morris Cowley and had promptly been forgotten about.

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, caradoc said:

 

BY the time I started spotting at Oxford in 1971, two of those shunters (4171 and 4178) were part of 81F's fleet ! We only had 5 however, not 32...... Very different days then indeed, thanks for posting the info br2975. 

 

 

 

And 4181 went to Penzance the same year, the first dual-braked 08 allocated to a Cornish depot, to cope with the incoming Mark 2a/b stock. Shedmate at the time was D4161.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Leyburn Kid said:

Hi Phil. Going through some old rail mags from this era, I've managed to find another location for that picture of 1912 on the Waterston tanks. It's also in Railway Magazine, March 1971, p149. Hope this is helpful.

 

 


Many thanks will

look out for that 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An undated image of an unidentified Cl.47 with tanks at Shrub Hill, taken by an unknown photographer.....

.

No idea what 6V36 was; either.

 

In short, "I know nothing !"

Cl.47-Unidentified-Worcester Shrub Hill-undated-Craig Donald (2).jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are great articles in Traction magazines 238 (Mar-Apr 2017) and 239 (May-Jun 2017) about the Albion oil traffic. Unfortunately while 6V32 and 6V34 are identified (albeit in a later period than br2975's photo) I could not see any mention of 6V36 ! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.