Point motor mystery

I`m getting desperate and hope someone can help.   I power my point motors using a capacitor discharge unit. All points are switched with Fleischmann switches, the type that form part of a track layout diagram.  Some points are PECO but most are Fleischmann profi HO with Fleischmann motors attached.    Everything works fine except one Fleischmann point.   I`ve tried substituting both the switch and the motor ( and all work off the layout) and the point will operate OK if removed and connected to another motor and switch.  Logic suggests it might be the wiring but I can`t see anything obvious, no loose connections or dodgy soldered joints.   If the point is set to the curve by hand and the switch is also in that position it will change to straight but it won`t go back again. If it`s set to straight operating the switch does nothing.   What could be happening ?

thanks,

Les

Things to consider:-

Wire broken under the insulation?

Longish run with thin wiring?

Resolder the wiring connections?

Just some ideas off-the-cuff

Edited by johnb
typo

I had a similar problem, one was the wire had broken inside the insulation close to the chocolate block I was using, so I had an open circuit, a multimeter will help you determine which wire is causing the fault if it's that. Also double check you've wired it up correctly. I use Hornby surface motors and I have two Peco P11, second one I fitted exactly as I had the first, (which I fitted a year ago) the new one would work one way but not the other, even tho' the wiring was exactly the same, found out I had to swap two wires around, so now their not wired in exactly alike, and it now works perfectly, weird I know.

I`ve checked the wiring as far as I can and there are no breaks between the main wiring at each end. The problem now is that I can`t work out a way of checking the final wires to the switch or the motor as I can`t work out how to get the covers off.  The strange thing is that both the switch and the motor worked when tested together off the layout, as did the other ones I had spare.  

Thanks for suggestions so far. I`ll try reversing the switching wires next although this point has always worked OK with the wiring as it is now.

• RMweb Premium

Try a temporary wire direct from the CDU to the straight side of the point motor. If that works, there has to be a cabling fault somewhere. Replace until it works.

If point motor doesn't work, then that is faulty.