Wills Kits SS56 Level Crossing Gates OO

Bought one of these as I particularly like the gate at each end. I didn't buy it here, but for info it's one of these:

Wills Kits SS56

Problem is I'm a bit stuck as to how to make it up. The kit has three bits of plastic - all the same size. One is grey cobblestones and the other two are brown planks. The adverts for this kit never mention a need to cut plastic. It's not one of the Craftsmen kits which do need cutting - just says glue/paint required. As such how the heck do these three bits pf plastic make up the level crossing?

Anyone have or seen this kit made up?

Edited by Riccarton Junction
update link

I think you've got one with missing instructions. Get in touch with PECO they'll probably send you them.

I bought an engine shed kit recently and the instructions were very thorough, more like a manual.

Yes. If you enlarge the picture on the Hattons website you can see the instructions at the back.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/128711/wills_kits_ss56_level_crossing_gates/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Looks like they have supplied two sheets of the Wills materials packs.  Not every crossing is on straight track so I imagine Wills/Peco figured you would want to cut the planks to match your track.  To me, the picture says it all, or most of it really.

You should cut embossed plastic from the back.  This should take three or four passes with the knife until you get a score line, then it will snap apart.  The main challenge is getting the inlaid wood between the rails just so that the wheel flanges pass without fouling.  B2B is typically 14.5mm so the width of the planks between the rails should be about 13.5mm.

Another thing to watch out for is the outer pieces.  These should be slightly below rail level to avoid loco wheels lifting.

John

Edited by brossard

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think you've got one with missing instructions. Get in touch with PECO they'll probably send you them.

I bought an engine shed kit recently and the instructions were very thorough, more like a manual.

Yes. If you enlarge the picture on the Hattons website you can see the instructions at the back.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/128711/wills_kits_ss56_level_crossing_gates/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Something I wish more kit manufacturers would do is make instructions available as a PDF download.  Some do and it can be useful.  It is also green since it saves paper.

John