Pullmans + blood & custard?

spikey

Did Pullmans and Mk1s ever run regularly in the same train?  I feel sure that on more than one occasion during the 1960s I've seen trains (going through or stopping at York or Doncaster) which consisted of blood and custard Mk1s with either one or two Pullmans in front of them.  Am I imagining that?

• RMweb Gold

Certainly, BR (S) Eastern Division utilised Maunsell, Bullied and Mk1 stock with Pullman cars on certain services, including boat trains to the Kent Coast. In many cases, a mix of all three and a Pullman or two could be seen in the same train, the Pullmans not necessarily marshalled adjacent.

The “Arrer“ would have a couple of coaches or so, generally Mk1s to accommodate those souls who wished not to pay the cost of Pullman travel, although in essence this was an attempt to make the service more financially viable as bookings fell.

Couple of poorly scanned pics for reference.

4440504F-5FA8-4077-B058-6B85C8365CDA.jpeg.97523d142637dc5b3432ec51d24c52bd.jpeg

70DC1A04-EAB8-470D-ADA0-3008DF61EF3C.jpeg.969f359cb29993eae5bd5a428cc4566d.jpeg

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, spikey said:

Did Pullmans and Mk1s ever run regularly in the same train?  I feel sure that on more than one occasion during the 1960s I've seen trains (going through or stopping at York or Doncaster) which consisted of blood and custard Mk1s with either one or two Pullmans in front of them.  Am I imagining that?

Yes. But by the 1960s the B/C would have been virtually extinct, especially on "top link" trains. So would have been rare by then.

But a bit earlier than that you'll probably get a few in trains such as the Yorkshire Pullman (I think) which had a mixture of Pullman and ordinary stock. You might even get Gresley or Thompson coaches in them as well.

Have a look at Steve Bank's website. Loads of photos of ER trains.

https://www.steve-banks.org/

Jason

• Thanks 1