08 shunter high pitched squeal

SweenyTod1

I was asked by a friend who owns this 08 to investigate an intermittent very loud squeal. Removing the body, I could see the ends of the motor shaft and either end of the flywheel, to which I applied a small amount of lube oil. Still the noise persisted, so I loosened the holding screw of the weight/ circuit board which sits over the gearbox. I had hoped I would gain access to the gears, but no.

However, just above the shaft there were two small square holes above the shaft in the gearbox housing. I applied a little squirt of Servisol cleaner into said holes and so far on my rolling road test, no squeal. Yippee!!! Have I fixed it, you may ask? Well with a following wind and all the stars in perfect alignment, I really hope so, 'cos my hearing is already compromised and this 'orrible noise was painful to say the least. Has anyone had this unpleasant experience with any of their locos? Do tell if you had and apart from using a very large hammer, how did you fix it?

Sanity restored (I hope)?

Tod

• RMweb Premium

"Screaming" shunters seemed to afflict one production run of Hornby 08s and was, as you say, intermittent making it frustrating to track down and cure.  There would be a topic a number of years ago now relating to this somewhere in the archives.  I am pleased you managed to find a "fix" which is one that sounds similar to that which others discovered previously.  

My own "screaming" 08 ceased to do so all of its own accord after a year or two of use.  I still have no idea why but as the noise was intermittent I also didn't bother investigating.  

27 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I was asked by a friend who owns this 08 to investigate an intermittent very loud squeal. Removing the body, I could see the ends of the motor shaft and either end of the flywheel, to which I applied a small amount of lube oil. Still the noise persisted, so I loosened the holding screw of the weight/ circuit board which sits over the gearbox. I had hoped I would gain access to the gears, but no.

However, just above the shaft there were two small square holes above the shaft in the gearbox housing. I applied a little squirt of Servisol cleaner into said holes and so far on my rolling road test, no squeal. Yippee!!! Have I fixed it, you may ask? Well with a following wind and all the stars in perfect alignment, I really hope so, 'cos my hearing is already compromised and this 'orrible noise was painful to say the least. Has anyone had this unpleasant experience with any of their locos? Do tell if you had and apart from using a very large hammer, how did you fix it?

Sanity restored (I hope)?

Tod

This was prevalent on the first release, especially 08402.  I remember a member at a former club bringing one in to the club night and the noise was awful. 

Thank you both for your input, let's hope my cure lasts and I can resist reaching for a hammer!!!! Seriously though, I can only assume that the gears didn't have sufficient lubrication during assembly and they rub together causing the squeal. I joked about the noise level, but it really was ear splitting. I will continue testing over the next few days before returning the loco to its owner, if it remains silent. Just for the record, the loco is D3721, green with a black radiator, no yellow warning panels.

Tod

Well, the saga continued with a relapse after "treatment". I removed the axle keeper plate and saw residue of very thick grease, which was more like glue when a cotton bud was applied. A liberal dose of Servisol switch cleaner (magic in a can!) removed said glue/grease. After more testing, all is quiet, just a slight knock in reverse, but I believe they were called "Gronks" anyway. Very appropriate in this case! With body reunited to chassis, the owner is collecting it later today. It appears, as far as I can detect, the gloopy grease was the cause. I also discovered on my very short test track, that the flywheel is very effective, by running on after the power is turned off!! It certainly didn't do that before.

Happy modelling boys and girls,

Tod

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tod

My 08 developed exactly what you describe. In the end, I had to send it away for repair. I t came back and worked fine for a while. However, the high pitch noise has returned when I run faster than 'normal' shunting speed!

I'll report back if I find a cure!

Brian

I had exactly the same issue with my 08402. An intermittent ear splitting squealing developed and there was no logical reason why it didn’t happen all the time. Some days it would start with no noise and run around fine, only to develop the noise later in the day. Haven’t run it for at least a year so I’ll have to find it and see what TCut does to remedy the situation. 

• Agree 1

I would have thought that the squealing noise is non-lubricated metal on metal.

I've found when the tolerances are reasonable, a touch of oil resolves this.

I have found in the past, when 'the gap' has worn a little too much, oil cannot solve this - perhaps grease can.

If too much wear has occurred, it may be a replacement bearing / shaft is required.

Just a thought.

Al.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I would have thought that the squealing noise is non-lubricated metal on metal.

I've found when the tolerances are reasonable, a touch of oil resolves this.

I have found in the past, when 'the gap' has worn a little too much, oil cannot solve this - perhaps grease can.

If too much wear has occurred, it may be a replacement bearing / shaft is required.

Just a thought.

Al.

See above, it’s the opposite of too much wear, and oil doesn’t solve it.

An update for you all. Since the loco was put back into service, its owner reports that my cure (dissolving the very thick grease) has indeed worked. He ran it both light engine and with a reasonable load on a circular layout, in both directions for over an hour, no squeal encountered. I would not recommend any abrasive treatment on the motor shaft, but if you do that, make sure it is cleaned completely afterwards. If the flywheel is effective, then its unlikely  the bearings are tight. A gentle fore and aft finger pressure on the flywheel should detect a tiny movement, will also eliminate any bearing tightness. Getting rid of that gluey grease is the way to go, in my opinion and experience. The Servisol switch cleaner, sold by Squires of Bognor ( my supplier) and others doesn't harm plastics and did the job for me to free the clogged up gearbox. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. Get it on the armature and you will have a lot of smoke and probably kill the motor! Again you can use the cleaner on the electrickery bits as well, its designed use.

I rest my case M'lud.

Tod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

No Jake, though I did work for Gaugemaster, back in the late 90s, as a sales rep for just a few months. I had and still do have an arthritis issue with my left foot, causing me to have to resign, as walking about was an essential part of the job. My knowledge and "expertise?" comes from over 50 years of modelling as a hobby. I am or was a Shipwight in the RN and RNOman for 33 years, so I can wield a hammer quite skilfully really!! My main interest is 4mm scale/00, LNER and 009 freelance. Music,(guitar, tenor banjo, mandolin and percussion) also feature in my  busy life

I bet you wished you hadn't asked me now?!! I have to keep the grey cells working, reaching three quarters of a century this coming Saturday. 'Er indoors would like me to do a lot of jobs around the house, but finding the time...............? Hey Ho, onward and upward I'll keep the faith and soldier on.

Happy modelling  Jake

Tod

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just had a little time to check out my 08...

The noise seemed to be in only one direction (backwards). I tried the IPA spray to no avail.

I then dabbed the tiniest dab of oil on the outer circumference of the flywheel and...noise gone!

The noise on mine was only kicking in when running at or near top speed, which is never used for shunting but - of course - it shouldn't happen.

I will report again if the problem comes back, but this looks promising.

Brian

On 02/06/2021 at 12:28, SweenyTod1 said:

No Jake, though I did work for Gaugemaster, back in the late 90s, as a sales rep for just a few months. I had and still do have an arthritis issue with my left foot, causing me to have to resign, as walking about was an essential part of the job. My knowledge and "expertise?" comes from over 50 years of modelling as a hobby. I am or was a Shipwight in the RN and RNOman for 33 years, so I can wield a hammer quite skilfully really!! My main interest is 4mm scale/00, LNER and 009 freelance. Music,(guitar, tenor banjo, mandolin and percussion) also feature in my  busy life

I bet you wished you hadn't asked me now?!! I have to keep the grey cells working, reaching three quarters of a century this coming Saturday. 'Er indoors would like me to do a lot of jobs around the house, but finding the time...............? Hey Ho, onward and upward I'll keep the faith and soldier on.

Happy modelling  Jake

Tod

It was just the way you put in capitals that you “would not recommend” doing what someone else on these very pages has done successfully. It came across as if you spoke with some kind of implied authority. Thanks for clarifying that you weren’t.

Well I think that 50 + years of model making and the military 5 year technical/academic apprenticeship, plus the serving time, both afloat and ashore, should give me some degree of "expertise" to recommend or not, an engineering procedure. Also I used bold, not capitals. I did quantify my caution with a  warning to clean off the abrasive. To leave it could wear away the bearing over time, causing more issues, already mentioned in these posts.

My methodology worked  for me and I put it out there gratuitously as a suggestion, not dogmatically. If it was thought that, then my apologies. So a good time, I believe, to close the subject now.

Happy modelling to all, stay safe and well.

Tod

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1