Converting diesels like 08 or 37 to EM gauge?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi all.

I have heard that it is easier to convert diesels to the finer gauges than it is to convert steam locomotives. Is it just a matter of pulling the wheels on their axles a bit? Like, for a Bachmann 08 or 37, can you just convert them and that's that? Or do you need to buy wheels and build new mechanisms like with steam locomotives?

I'd not mind doing a small BR Blue layout in EM.

Amanda

Easy if you use Ultrascale drop in wheels.

Remove the keeper plate from the underside of the chassis or bogie.

Remove 00 wheels.

Drop in Ultrascale wheels that come ready assembled. 

Tweak pickups as the wheels are wider apart. 

Clip / screw keeper plate back in position and test.

The 08 wheels come with the outside cranks ready fitted and quartered.

An alternative is Gibson wheels which I believe you have to assemble and quarter.

Also I don't think Gibson wheels include the final drive gear so you have to remove the final drive gear from the 00 wheel set.

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1

In my experience Ultrascale wheels have a veeeeerrrrrryyyyy long leadtime.  Quicker to get Gibson wheels, although I am not a fan of either due to the lack of positive quartering (for the 08).  I much prefer Markits for that.

EMGS provides a CD with all the articles.  These include pieces about converting specific models and a parts list.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

https://albionyard.net/2016/04/12/Hornby-super-eight/

How to convert the Hornby 08 to EM using the Ultrascale conversion set.

The Alan Gibson conversion sets are very good for bogie locomotives in my experience too. Ultrascale are the easiest, but longest lead time, and most expensive, however the quality is outstanding.

Edited by PMP
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Just come across this thread looking for something else!

I have used AGW to convert a Vitrains 37 to P4 with no issues at all.

But, the 08 was a different matter! The main issue was that the Bachmann 08 is out of the loading gauge below platform level, although I believe the same is true of the Hornby. This meant that whenever the cranks hit a lineside obstacle the cranks moved and the loco stopped. I tried different methods of fixing the cranks but the result was always the same. The solution was to buy Ultrascale which are fixed securely to the axle so the loco just stalls with no I'll effects on the quartering. 

I know the timescales for Ultrascale is a little daunting but they're worth it.

• Agree 1