LNWR Coal Tank lettering

Garethp8873

I'm looking at getting LMS Coal Tank 7796 represented in OO as per the photo on P.144 of Bashers, Gadgets and Mourners by Peter Skellon during her heavy service repair of February 1936. However I'm unsure as to what colour lettering she has on the tanks. Is it the gold lettering or cream? Any help please?

Gareth,

I've had a look in 'Locomotive liveries of the LMS' by David Jenkinson. He summarises he lettering of locos from 1928 ' ...six different basic colour combinations were also adopted, sometimes without apparent consistency'. However he then suggests the following:-

Plain gold - most plain and some lined black engines

Plain yellow - plain black engines only.

He also states that the Crewe preference was to paint rather than use transfers (a Midland technique, and therefore abhorrent) and that the pale yellow used for lining red engines was used. After a few months this looked very similar to weathered gold transfers.

So it's probably for you to decide and dare anyone to prove you wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to Illustrated History Vol Two which has a list of known liveries.

It's carrying livery C18 as the majority would have got (some got the smaller 12" numerals which is C17)

C18 - Post 1927 standard, Plain Straw insignia  14 inch numerals (Standard pattern)

I don't think many LNWR locos got gold as it was another Midland-ism.... :prankster:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 21:30, wessy said:

Gareth,

I've had a look in 'Locomotive liveries of the LMS' by David Jenkinson. He summarises he lettering of locos from 1928 ' ...six different basic colour combinations were also adopted, sometimes without apparent consistency'. However he then suggests the following:-

Plain gold - most plain and some lined black engines

Plain yellow - plain black engines only.

He also states that the Crewe preference was to paint rather than use transfers (a Midland technique, and therefore abhorrent) and that the pale yellow used for lining red engines was used. After a few months this looked very similar to weathered gold transfers.

So it's probably for you to decide and dare anyone to prove you wrong!

On 29/06/2021 at 13:24, Steamport Southport said:

According to Illustrated History Vol Two which has a list of known liveries.

It's carrying livery C18 as the majority would have got (some got the smaller 12" numerals which is C17)

C18 - Post 1927 standard, Plain Straw insignia  14 inch numerals (Standard pattern)

I don't think many LNWR locos got gold as it was another Midland-ism.... :prankster:

Jason

Thanks for the replies wessy and Jason. Looking at the photo if you have a copy  of the book, would you say it is has got the 14" LMS and 12" numbers or both 14"?