A new project is underway. It’s another micro layout (only 850mm x 670mm). After a recent trip to Scotland and a journey from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and back, I’ve chosen to fulfil a long-term ambition of mine and model one of the line’s stations. I’ve gone for Plockton for a few reasons:

-It has a nice curved platform and an interesting station building

-It has a natural scenic break in the form of an road bridge at one end of the platform. This is also interesting as it was built to span two tracks (which never came to fruition)

-It has (or had) a small goods yard which will generate some more varied operation than simply running passenger trains through the station

I will mention at the outset that this will be in no means a realistic model. It will have tight curves and it can only handle three-coach trains (perhaps enough to represent typical traffic in quieter parts of the year). I am using a baseboard that was not intended for this project.

The time period will be roughly 1955-1965, and I will be using a lot of older N gauge stock - nothing fancy to see here, and there are Peco Setrack first radius curves to negotiate. The photo shows the cork being fixed down. You can also see the extension that I’ve had to create at the back to fit the storage loops onto the baseboard.

26076491-8E60-4F9D-BB76-A0C0A0E5650B.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Ben for the suggestion. I think I might tackle it myself though as there won’t be many other buildings and I’ve got a scale drawing of it in one of my books. I have struggled however to find images of the station in my chosen era although I do have a track plan in the form of a old map (also in the aforementioned book).

Regards,

Josh

Here is a rough idea of the station track plan. The kickback siding will be quite short. This siding once ran into a Highland Railway goods shed, but this seems to have disappeared by the BR days. The other two sidings are probably greatly condensed in size compared to reality but they can still serve a purpose in handling goods traffic. I have managed to squeeze in some Setrack 2nd radius curves to just slightly ease the sharpness of the curves, but 1st radius will be used throughout in the non-scenic area. As an aside, will a Dapol Class 26 get round 9” curves? Just so I don’t end up spending a lot on something I can’t use…

DFF9943E-D3CE-47D3-B8CE-F714D8AA67BE.jpeg

• Like 1

On the (slim) chance that I might get to exhibit this layout locally eventually, I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to install a lighting unit. I’ve not done this before. I would probably fit some removable uprights and a lightweight pelmet above the layout with LED strips. The thing is, because this layout is so small, and the height is only about 2’ 6” (for a comfortable sitting height), the lighting would have to be situated way above the baseboard surface, probably about 5’ or more, otherwise a viewer’s sightline would be blocked (unless they are young or wheelchair-bound). Is it worth it really?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, josh_will said:

On the (slim) chance that I might get to exhibit this layout locally eventually, I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to install a lighting unit. I’ve not done this before. I would probably fit some removable uprights and a lightweight pelmet above the layout with LED strips. The thing is, because this layout is so small, and the height is only about 2’ 6” (for a comfortable sitting height), the lighting would have to be situated way above the baseboard surface, probably about 5’ or more, otherwise a viewer’s sightline would be blocked (unless they are young or wheelchair-bound). Is it worth it really?

If you are really going to consider exhibiting it, then it would be worth your while getting some trestles to raise it to a better viewing height for its visitors, at least 4 foot high or more. Your lighting rig, doesn't ideally want to be more than a couple of feet above track level.

This is my Ladmanlow layout in exhibition mode:

ladmanlow893.jpg.ed5e6ce5f653b77d4c50904d1985f995.jpg

The front pelmet sits about 6 inches forward of the front of the layout, with an LED strip behind it, angled to shine nearly horizontally, and there is a second strip further to the rear shining vertically. The pelmet is only about 14 inches above track level.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Oh, forgot to say, I'm following this with interest, as I have had many memorable holidays at Plockton.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1

Thanks Alister, that’s a good idea. One set of legs for home, one set for a show.

Thanks for your interest in Plockton. I’ve tried to find another depiction of the station, but I haven’t done so yet. Kyle is popular, and also Achnasheen, but not Plockton so much it would seem. I actually think it’s a more neglected topic than the West Highland, which seems to get a lot of attention.

Regards,

Josh

• Like 1

Quick update.

Fiddle yard final design being put together. More detail can be seen here of the small extension to the rear of the layout. It looks flimsy but it does the job.

Electro frog points have also arrived and this should facilitate more reliable shunting movements in the yard.

996F82F2-309C-4A66-AD77-DAA422DEB30F.jpeg

4CDB5AA2-DAE7-4194-9CF6-C10339AB34BA.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve now finished the baseboard, apart from the backscene.

I tried to find some easier way to set up and take down the layout, to make it a truly portable unit. I trawled through magazines and found an interesting idea associated with a OO-9 layout, Feltwell Road, and I must credit the builder for the solution that I have employed.

1206A909-E53A-47A8-B42F-A85A8813C216.jpeg.8f3e3c6f23a6c0b065163a36086a86e0.jpeg

The legs join up with a combination of backflap and split hinges into a self-contained unit.

22766027-0A82-4C31-BA96-422B09B7B842.jpeg.db586021aae79aa9713677a532e6b7ac.jpeg

This is the assembled unit with baseboard dropped on top. It can then be bolted to the legs. The whole thing is a bit of a bodge but it does work.

D8E5BF31-6E06-4DFE-8116-0FE8F544ADA3.jpeg.aa32a804ddc30fba9076d40aa8a39584.jpeg

The legs then fold up into these bizarre looking contraptions for easy transportation.

Edited by josh_will
Extra photo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this little guy turned up today. I was very pleased to see (this being my first Dapol model) that the mechanism is based on the typical American style (of which I’m a massive fan) with split chassis and axle point pick-up strips. However the green lights only work in one direction - not a major issue for me but I’m just wondering if this is a common thing with these 26s?

Josh

4D5DCC64-6C14-41A4-9868-9BDF01A6EB7A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 19:45, josh_will said:

I’ve tried to find another depiction of the station, but I haven’t done so yet

I built a N gauge micro-layout on Plockton as a lockdown project last year, mainly because I spent a few hours there a couple of years ago. This was due to the way the train times to Inverness work,  we got the first train from Inverness to Kyle in the morning and then got the immediate return back to Plockton. We spent some time there and then got the next train to Inverness. 

I relied on my photo's and Google street view for much of the model. I also go a copy of the the April 1976 Railway Modeller for scale plans of the station building, 

The layout is in store at the moment and I cannot find my pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert, I think I’ve got the shape of the abutments slightly wrong actually. The piers look a little wide to me. I don’t really want to do it again though, not yet anyway. I also couldn’t really find any stone plastic sheet that was a close match, and I already had some Slater’s dressed stone, so hopefully it won’t look too bad.

60113E2E-BA4F-45C9-AE8B-3E02381AC1FF.jpeg.0ae8451e810c1b537d65c5d5246e4411.jpeg

To recreate the cinder ballast of my chosen time period, I’ve started experimenting with using clay rather than the usual stone. First signs are that I’ll need a lot of practice before deciding to go down this route.

Edited by josh_will
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

air drying clay is best  such as

ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/DAS-Modelling-Clay-White-Air-Dry/dp/B000J445XA/ref=asc_df_B000J445XA/?tag=go

has been used - check out Chris Nervard efforts.

toothpics make good cleaning prodders to clear around rail fixings when clay drying out such that the bits you chip out do not re adhere to what you want to keep. 

A good idea to try a test piece .  

Robert    

Hi Robert - I have used DAS clay here, as per Chris Nevard’s style, but thanks for the tip for using the toothpicks. This is my first test piece, next time I’ll try painting the rails and sleepers first.

Regards

• Thanks 1

This is Chinchilla dust and I think it’s going to be my ballast of choice. I think that after painting it’ll look quite close to cinders from a normal viewing distance of, say, one metre.

D7E15E22-7418-4FF5-A163-1689B1C74172.jpeg.1fe1431535c9a90c8ef09a7707cfb9ef.jpeg

Also I’ve nearly finished building up the platform structure.4359966A-76E4-4CCC-A9F8-352B30BB7DA8.jpeg.9a70313fb6cdbb24a334bf6054da96ea.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 24/08/2021 at 19:05, Robert Shrives said:

air drying clay is best  such as

ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/DAS-Modelling-Clay-White-Air-Dry/dp/B000J445XA/ref=asc_df_B000J445XA/?tag=go

has been used - check out Chris Nervard efforts.

toothpics make good cleaning prodders to clear around rail fixings when clay drying out such that the bits you chip out do not re adhere to what you want to keep. 

A good idea to try a test piece .  

Robert    

Hi Robert, before I forget, I’ve seen the topic you’ve posted on TINGS, either on here or on NGF, I can’t remember which. But anyway, I’ll be there on Saturday and I’ll be sure to say hi if I spot you out front (if that’s where you’ll be).

Regards,

Josh

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Yes expect to queue master again  so see you about - by 12.00 I expect it will patrolling in the hall and reacting to calls as required.  At least the carpark should be self managing this weekend.  

A good show expected purely on the grounds we missed last year ! 

In other news on my layout I have just painted a base coat on the platform - a grey primer and a coat of brake dust railmatch acrylic to to give a sandy effect. Thinking I will be painting a hint of flag stones along the edge and the signature scottish dotted white platform edge.   

Robert   

I’ll be aiming to get there quite early, it’s about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive for me but I’ll be expecting to arrive by 10:30 latest, traffic permitting. I hope you’ll still get time to look around and do some shopping then.

Re. the platforms that’s an interesting idea and something for me to think about as well.

Regards