Datsun 620 Pick-up

steve1

I was bemoaning the lack of modern, post 1980, pick-up trucks available RTR in 4mm (& probably 2mm too) recently. They are everywhere in both town and country but ignored by the model trade.

Whilst in the local shop, I happened to notice a Hot Wheels Datsun 620 pick-up that looked to have potential. It didn't have a wild paint scheme or outrageous graphics but was a restrained dark red with a company logo on the door. As an added bonus it was already matt finished. I lashed out the required £1.78(!) and brought it home.

On checking the dimensions, I discovered that, for 4mm, it was overscale, more like S really. However, putting it next to other 4mm vehicles and figures, to my eye it didn't look too bad. So, a bit of matt black paint to tone down the front end and cover a section of red in the bed, silver pen for the headlights, red & orange for the rear lights and some number plates,  I reckon it will fit in. I did scrape off a small Hot Wheels logo from the rear quarter but left the company logos as they looked the part. It probably needs a bit more weathering though.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hot+wheels+datsun+620&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=_Kd8MidenZc7XM

steve

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure as to whether its a *Hot Wheels or Matchbox but in my local Tesco's they have a Holden Ute in plain white. *They are mixed together in one box. It looks to be about 1/72 scale. Some more modern American pickups are in the matchbox range, one described as a Nissan Titan is spot on 1/76 scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a Ford Ranger pick up in Morrisons recently. It appears about 1/72 scale but being chunky will probably look reasonable. I appears to be the recent model which has become the preferred 4x4 vehicle for Network Rail.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

I picked up a Ford Ranger pick up in Morrisons recently. It appears about 1/72 scale but being chunky will probably look reasonable. I appears to be the recent model which has become the preferred 4x4 vehicle for Network Rail.

What make is the model please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What make is the model please.

Knew somebody would ask after I posted.  Sorry Phil but I can't remember now, but if you are in your local branch, they are in those usual strips of about 10 models designed for you to walk into hanging in the isles.

Will see if I can find where I put it in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Knew somebody would ask after I posted.  Sorry Phil but I can't remember now, but if you are in your local branch, they are in those usual strips of about 10 models designed for you to walk into hanging in the isles.

Will see if I can find where I put it in the morning.

Thanks, unfortunately there isn't a local Morrison's near me. But in my local Tesco's they have Hot Wheels models in those strips so I'll check them out.

• Like 1

It’s probably this. Available in really garish colours or in more subdue tones. This one looks like a removal of decals, painting the alloy wheels and painting lights number plates etc would give a reasonable representation of the Ford custom spec. A guy round here has one in a bright bronze colour!

E440C181-0D90-4880-BD3A-2B143947CCEA.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

It’s probably this. Available in really garish colours or in more subdue tones. This one looks like a removal of decals, painting the alloy wheels and painting lights number plates etc would give a reasonable representation of the Ford custom spec. A guy round here has one in a bright bronze colour!

Yes that's the boy.  Mine is red. Mattel Hot wheels made in 2018, so the current model. 

I think some more suitable road wheels can be sourced possibly from one of the many Land Rover models on the market.

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Datsun 620 pick ups were everywhere in late 70s early 80s . There was no British equivalent ( many companies  and all Nationalised co's / Goverment  bodies had a rigid buy British policy , how quaint this seems now! )

They were coming  over in shiploads along with the Datsun Cherrys  and 120Y's  ( well priced and totally reliable and with what Brit makes saw as extras as standard, radios, etc ).

Downside they rusted quickly but so did Brit makes of that era.

ATS Tyres had many in yellow , they had a little canopy with small compressor behind the cab. They  used to paint out the D...UN   stamped and painted on the tail boards and leave the ATS  letters, clever !

Toyota  Hi -Lux  and Mazda  B1600  one ton pick ups also came in  at the time but were no where near as popular.

Craig

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Thank you for the link! But unfortunately the picture quality is very poor. I specifically registered on this site in order to download the image in good quality. But after registration the download button is simply not there...

There are several paid options available online, and one of the cheapest I found is here: https://hum2d.com/clipart/datsun-620-king-cab-with-hq-interior-and-engine-1977/

I am generally satisfied with the quality of the picture and the size is there. But perhaps there are cheaper quality blueprints somewhere?

• Like 1