Blackpool train crash of 1961?

18B

Afternoon

this pic is listed as being from a July 1961 train crash at Blackpool?  but I can't seem to find any details of it on the Railways Archive site? Would anyone be able to confirm please that this was a crash at Blackpool in July 1961 or wheher it was somewhere else ad or a  different date? 

TIA, Alex, 

1961 GettyImages-691108664 getty images.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it was Blackpool although I do recall that photo - which was published at the time in 'The Daily Mirror'.  I suspect that the DMU was on its way tothe Blackpool area (actually tFleetwood).  It is on the Railway Archive, see below.  Link here to the Inspecting Officer's Report -

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Singleton1961.pdf.

Duplicates Brian's reply .  I have now added the Railway Archive page link

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=533

PS it took me about 3 minutes to find it on the Railway Archive so it wasn't exactly hiding there ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I don't think it was Blackpool although I do recall that photo - which was published at the time in 'The Daily Mirror'.  I suspect that the DMU was on its way tothe Blackpool area (actually tFleetwood).  It is on the Railway Archive, see below.  Link here to the Inspecting Officer's Report -

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Singleton1961.pdf.

Duplicates Brian's reply .  I have now added the Railway Archive page link

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=533

PS it took me about 3 minutes to find it on the Railway Archive so it wasn't exactly hiding there ;)

Appreciated, and indeed had I been searching for  Singleton Bank as apposed to Blackpool, I'd have found it perhaps, ;)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 18B said:

Appreciated, and indeed had I been searching for  Singleton Bank as apposed to Blackpool, I'd have found it perhaps, ;)

You would also have found it if you looked for incidents etc on the LMR between 1960 and 1962 or even more so  just concentrated on 1961 .  You didn't even need to know where it took place but what it was and roughly when it was.  There weren't many collisions on the LMR in 1961 and I akthough I hada vague memory of the incident I definitely couldn't remember the name of the place where it occurred - but it still took only a few minutes to find it.  

The Railway Archive accident etc search system is actually very good if you only have the sketchiest of information - I only used the year, plus a small spread either side, and the BR Region.  And, as I said, I found it in a matter of minutes.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Railway Archive accident etc search system is actually very good if you only have the sketchiest of information - I only used the year, plus a small spread either side, and the BR Region.  And, as I said, I found it in a matter of minutes.

It's pretty comprehensive, with accidents going well back into Victorian days, although the level of info available is nowhere near as good.  The early accident reports were often just a fairly brief letter, and in some cases, there is just a note that an accident was reported to have occurred there.

You pretty much need to include a date range in a search as a location search may not return the incident depending on how it was reported.  For example a search for Blackpool will give you two results, but that won't include Blackpool North (3 other results)

• Agree 1