All aboard: The Wonderful World of Disney Trains

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Speaking as a reader, I recently purchased this very interesting and attractively produced book from the mail order remainder bookseller Postscript, from whom it is still available at a very good price.

I am really enjoying reading it, it is a very nicely produced hardback, the artwork from Disney films is terrific, the photographs are fabulous and it has a lot of interesting facts and thoughts in it.

But, there is one aspect which is slightly driving me nuts which is the author's ever so slightly odd english and more particularly his use of the word "Simpatico"(!)

I'm on page 48 out of 192 and he has inflicted it on me three times so far! 

Yeuccch, what is it, where did it come from, has anyone else come across it -  an American invention I suspect...?

Not that I'm one to complain you understand...

A lovely book nonetheless.

Simon

24396980.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Yeuccch, what is it, where did it come from, has anyone else come across it -  an American invention I suspect...?

I had to look it up when I read it ;)  Just means a nice person, I’d guess a mangling of sympathetic person in this modern trend for combining words?

There are several excellent books on the Disney Railways history but they can go for silly money due to Disney collectors. I’ve got the Michael Broggie book, Walt Disney’s Railroad Story, which is superb with lots of interesting details but it took me several years to find it for £40 instead of several hundred.

DFD0DC97-E076-4AAA-964E-A7282D486552.jpeg.67f9816cc03a4d2af5c50c48e5f6b3ac.jpeg

Much like finding these Tomy HOn30 Disney locos for sensible prices under £100 is rare, but possible. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

But, there is one aspect which is slightly driving me nuts which is the author's ever so slightly odd english and more particularly his use of the word "Simpatico"(!)

I'm on page 48 out of 192 and he has inflicted it on me three times so far! 

Disneyfication of the English language?