Guy Road-Rail vehicle

Was looking for something in the loft here this morning and came across a booklet published by Guy Motors in 1948 celebrating their first 34 years of trading.  

One of the highlighted vehicles that they had produced was this road-rail tractor designed for shunting and constructed in 1923.

DSCF5912.JPG.7f524193a0c5e54473c2de576ec18dfd.JPG

Would make an interesting modelling subject....

• Informative/Useful 1

Hmm.  I can't see that contraption as likely to attract many sales. 

If you wanted only to shunt rail vehicles, you'd get a loco.  If you wanted to carry goods on the highway you'd buy a van or lorry that had some load carrying capabilty - that thing would need to pull a trailer.  If you want to convert from one mode to the other, you've got to prat about coupling to a bogie.

I doubt the railway infrastructure  would react well to those rear wheels running over rail chairs, any pointwork or point rodding, and if it caught on signal wires where they burrow under the track I could even see it causing wrong-side signal indications.

Inadequate as a road vehicle & inadequate as a rail vehicle, it combines disadvantages of both forms of transport.   

7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Hmm.  I can't see that contraption as likely to attract many sales. 

If you wanted only to shunt rail vehicles, you'd get a loco.  If you wanted to carry goods on the highway you'd buy a van or lorry that had some load carrying capabilty - that thing would need to pull a trailer.  If you want to convert from one mode to the other, you've got to prat about coupling to a bogie.

I doubt the railway infrastructure  would react well to those rear wheels running over rail chairs, any pointwork or point rodding, and if it caught on signal wires where they burrow under the track I could even see it causing wrong-side signal indications.

Inadequate as a road vehicle & inadequate as a rail vehicle, it combines disadvantages of both forms of transport.   

Perhaps they had heard about these.....

http://prr.railfan.net/RubberTiredSwitchers.html

• Informative/Useful 2

I'm guessing the Guy one was aimed at use in areas of paved track as well - docksides, factories - rather than conventional goods yards. It must have been trialled somewhere after they built it, so I might have a trawl of the internet to se if it gets mentioned anywhere.

EDIT:  Well this explains what it actually was all about......

http://dave-mills.yolasite.com/stronach-dutton-road-rail.php

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Extra info added
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry I'm late to spotting this thread.

The upper photo is relatively common (for an almost unheard of prototype). It can be found in a few modern sources including the book by RG Cash, which includes the original photo with the background of the factory still intact, as well as this modified version. Guy motors and RoadRails both used it in their publicity materials.

Guy seem to have been very proud of a vehicle which seems to have been quite troublesome to a number of its owners.

The second picture is much rarer, there is one copy from a website about Guy. It's the only one I have seen that shows the engine to any level of detail. Although Commercial Motor magazine archives have some reasonable pictures of other aspects of the drive train.

I presume there are no other pictures of it in the booklet? 

As with most old photos, there are very few good quality images of the rear / rear quarter and none of the cab interior.

Oh, and It ran on 2ft gauge track

1 hour ago, otherplanet said:

The second picture is much rarer, there is one copy from a website about Guy. It's the only one I have seen that shows the engine to any level of detail. Although Commercial Motor magazine archives have some reasonable pictures of other aspects of the drive train.

I presume there are no other pictures of it in the booklet? 

The booklet just had the one page detailing the vehicle with those two photos and nothing else.  I've passed it on to someone else now, but there was also mention of a battery-electric refuse collection vehicle that I didn't know anything about either.....

Guy.JPG.85c49aa1691ead1e72548c48291945a1.JPG

Oh well, thanks anyway.

That's an interesting prototype, it could make a nice model, I wonder if they made more of them than they made roadrail tractors.

I see a commonality between your booklet and the content of the website.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Transport/commercial/Guy/guyhistory2.htm

Edited by otherplanet
Forgot to start with a thankyou

7 minutes ago, otherplanet said:

Oh well, thanks anyway.

That's an interesting prototype, it could make a nice model, I wonder if they made more of them than they made roadrail tractors.

I see a commonality between your booklet and the content of the website.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Transport/commercial/Guy/guyhistory2.htm

Given where Guy Motors were based, I would have thought that Birmingham Corporation would be a potential market for any electric refuse vehicle that they produced, but I couldn't find any mention of it being trialled there in the Birmingham Electric Dustcarts book that was published about 30 years ago.   My guess is it was a one-off, attempting to break into the electric delivery vehicle market just as the demand for the larger lorry types was beginning to ebb away.