Quayside stonework- 4mm

Folks I would like to include a quayside  on my next layout  but I wondering what materials to use. I know I can get printed stone effects but would like to use embossed sheet it possible The quayside will be curved so not sure if the Wills sheets are suitable Open to suggestions please. 

Thanks 

Johna

The below sandstone effect was achieved by embossing 3mm thick dense aero modellers foam (i used a sharpened pencil point). Watery tile grout is wiped over the stone work and wiped back with a damp cloth. Once dry, treat with suitable washes of acrylics. 

It's effective, you can emboss whatever pattern you want and it's cheap. For more texture, roll up some kitchen foil and roll over the sheet. 

IMG_20211024_102150.jpg.0f3c57bb05df309ed75a451476e52094.jpg

IMG_20211019_153608.jpg.865ec6379c63e9a8a35184d526c176f4.jpg

This simulates dressed sandstone in 7mm but it works as well in 4mm.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 21:08, johna said:

Folks I would like to include a quayside  on my next layout  but I wondering what materials to use. I know I can get printed stone effects but would like to use embossed sheet it possible The quayside will be curved so not sure if the Wills sheets are suitable Open to suggestions please. 

Thanks 

Johna

Just a small point but, quaysides tend to be straight it makes it easier to tie up the straight sided ships/boats without dangerous gaps between the said boats and the quayside!

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Just a small point but, quaysides tend to be straight it makes it easier to tie up the straight sided ships/boats without dangerous gaps between the said boats and the quayside!

Phil T.

As above,  living in Plymouth, we have plenty of docksides, harboursides, jetties and wharves, they are built in straight lines, except where they turn a corner. Corners are fairly tight, the straights tend to be a couple of hundred feet, as a minimum. Have a look at maps of Sutton Harbour and the Barbican, that should give you a good idea.

• Like 1