IKEA Display cabinets any good?

H2O

I'm looking to buy some floor mounted living room display cabinets for mainly OO and perhaps some O gauge models. I've found the following that look suitable. Anyone used these or have a similar sized favourite of there own? For my use they would need to be a normally stocked item.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rudsta-vaxmyra-glass-door-cabinet-with-lighting-anthracite-s79418632/

Edited by H2O
Typo

• H2O changed the title to IKEA Display cabinets any good?

I’ve no experience of that specific product, however I’ve recently moved house and purchased many pieces of IKEA furniture, all of which I can highly recommend. Good quality at reasonable prices - IKEA is certainly not the low-end retailer it was seen as 20 years ago.

My one note of caution is that their shipping fees - if you want home delivery of furniture - is a £40 flat fee, regardless of your order size. I think this is on the steep side. Of course, this is not an issue if you are buying in store and have a vehicle that can accommodate the packages.

You might also want to consider the LIDL display cabinets - they have them in stock once or twice a year at certain times. I have one and it’s excellent quality - cheaper then that IKEA item (they are around £60-80 iirc).

Hope this helps. 

CoY 

• RMweb Premium

Again I don't have experience of that exact product but do have several IKEA units which have all given good service.  

They look OK but they also "look like IKEA" which is perfectly acceptable to most of us I'm sure.  They don't look top-end quality because they are not solid wood but chips, glue and laminate.    If sustainability matters to you then I suggest probing deeper into IKEA's specifications before purchase.  

Shipping can be costly but you are paying for someone - usually two someones - to load, drive, unload and in some cases also assemble your product and remove the waste.  All packing waste is recyclable in most areas.  If you collect it yourself be sure to check the box dimensions against your vehicle's ability and remember that larger flat packs might fit inside but may not always go in through the doors!  

I haven't tested my IKEA units to destruction (!!) but am wary of how much weight in on the shelves.  They're not solid wood and are only held by tiny bits of metal.  That said they safely hold a library of research material so they are at least decently robust despite appearances.  My only problem has been that the corners and edges chip really easily; as that exposes the glued wood chips of the material I'm not keen on the look of a few areas after a few of life's knocks and one house removal.  

• RMweb Premium

I think generally in IKEAyou wont go wrong . I was in Glasgow branch (very reluctantly , but i needed new bookcase) and didnt see the units you saw but much larger ones at £299 (full height) that I did think would be good for the man cave .  So there are a few possibilities 

Thanks for the replies, especially about IKEA delivery charges which was new info. I don't think the charge is excessive, just a bit higher than expected. £40 seems to be for up to 30 day delivery. I think 3 day service is £50 (per order).

I agree that items made of MDF or chipboard can be iffy, however the linked item is made of powder coated steel so hopefully will be robust.

My local Lidl is not very convenient and the parking / access for cars is a real pain, especially this time of year.

Again, thanks for the constructive comments.

Big/heavy things from IKEA come in more than one package, to keep each carton within “handlable” limits size and weight wise. But, some of them are right on the limit, so if you have to schlepp things upstairs, it’s worth splitting the pack and taking the bits one at a time.

Quality? I’m quite an IKEA fan, but have learned to go deeply into the product descriptions, and look carefully at things in the shop, because some of their stuff is well-designed, but made from fairly iffy materials, while other things are both well-designed and good materials. Anything made from actual wood, for instance, seems solidly dependable.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, H2O said:

I'm looking to buy some floor mounted living room display cabinets for mainly OO and perhaps some O gauge models. I've found the following that look suitable. Anyone used these or have a similar sized favourite of there own? For my use they would need to be a normally stocked item.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rudsta-vaxmyra-glass-door-cabinet-with-lighting-anthracite-s79418632/

I have a Billy bookcase with glass doors to display my stuff. OK not as good as a dedicated display case but it does the job quite well.

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Quality? I’m quite an IKEA fan, but have learned to go deeply into the product descriptions, and look carefully at things in the shop, because some of their stuff is well-designed, but made from fairly iffy materials, while other things are both well-designed and good materials. Anything made from actual wood, for instance, seems solidly dependable.

Not sure about these days - but if you remember the woeful quality of MFI* stuff, the fact Ikea stuff (particularly things like bookcases where more than a few lightweight paperbacks would cause the shelves to to bow) then Ikea flat-pack quality was something of a revelation.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MFI_Group

Edited by phil-b259

OK, I’ll come clear: I have an abiding dislike of MDF, and am no fan of “foiled chipboard”.

Things made from those two never seem to never seem to survive house-moves well, or even room-moves, whereas wood is much more durable.

My study shelving and drawer system is one of theirs, and still looks very good indeed in its third house; actual wood. Similarly, I’ve got some Habitat folding bookshelves, really basic things, again wood (plus decent birch-ply) and they’ve been in innumerable places since c1980. Good value!

The fact that the room I’m sitting in now is entirely furnished from IKEA, bar a small 1940s utility book case and a John Lewis blind, should tell you I am indeed a fan.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

another vote here for things from IKEA. Reasonable prices, well designed and good quality for the price.

I think they are fun to put together too, but then, i like making kits.

i dont think you will go wrong with these.

Ian